Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Goals/Rewards for the New Year?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816258-goals-rewards-new-year.html)

Jenn11 10-30-2013 05:43 PM

Goals/Rewards for the New Year??

After tomorrow ends we will have exactly 2 months left until the New Year! I've set myself 3 tier levels of weight goals that I want to achieve by January 1, 2014.
1. Pretty reasonable goal
2. Super fast weight loss goal
3. Zomg I must be a weightloss machine goal :lol:

I would like to reward myself based on what level of weightloss I acheive, hope that makes sense.... progressively larger rewards.

My question is how do I reward myself? Goals need physical rewards. I can't use food because I'm trying to get into a healthier mindset about food. And clothes are a no go, I have tons of clothes I don't really consider them a reward.

Is anyone else setting New Years goals? What type of reward items do you treat yourselves to if you attain your goal?

princessmommy 10-30-2013 07:02 PM

There's lots of ways to reward yourself. New boots you've been wanting, manicure or pedicure, new clothes, new hair cut or color etc..
I'd Love to finally be at my Goal of 135 by new yrs but the way my thyroids been acting up and my weight yo-yoing i'd be thrilled to just not Gain!

limetwist 10-30-2013 07:16 PM

I'm kiiiiind of playing with the idea of getting myself a piercing if I manage to wrangle my goal I have set by Valentine's Day. ...maybe. I can't decide if I have the guts.

What about a massage? A pedicure?

trishthedish 10-30-2013 07:19 PM

When I reach the 100 pound club, I'm going skydiving.:)

DiamondDeb 10-30-2013 07:56 PM

I don't believe in weight loss goals anymore. They don't really make sense since you can do everything right & the scale still may not do what you think it should. Making it time-based is asking for trouble, IMO.

Goals should be achievable by doing specific things. Behavior based goals make sense. Eating on plan, completing a workout program, things like that are achievable goals. You know exactly what you need to do to accomplish the goal.

I am shopping around for an anniversary gift for myself - toward the end of next month I'll reach one year mark of being on plan every single day. It isn't really a goal to eat on plan every day; it is simply how I eat every day. But I do think it is going to be an achievement worthy of celebrating. I want to get myself a little something that will last, like a simple piece of sterling silver jewelry, and remind me of my accomplishments every time I look at it.

Ntombi 10-30-2013 08:30 PM

I don't make weight loss goals for the same reason Deb mentioned: I can eat "perfectly," and not lose sometimes. I make behavioral goals instead, since I can control my behavior 100%. I just keep doing what I know I need to do, and I lose what and when I lose.

But January 3 of 2014 will mark my one year anniversary of being back on plan, and if I keep going the way I have been so far, I will have been 100% on plan the whole time. I have no idea how much I will have lost by then (lost about 60 lbs of fat so far), but I am incredibly proud of making it this far. I might treat myself to something fun, like tickets to a play I've been wanting to see. :)

snowangel9 10-30-2013 10:17 PM

Yea, rewards are hard. I can do a number goal, like so much loss = X. But I don't attach a rigid time to it. I like the behavior idea though. As for what to reward with, well for me jewelry is alway good, a really nice pen, maybe a new perfume or make up...

monees lc 10-31-2013 07:33 AM

I also like the idea of rewarding the fact that you have remained on point with your plan even if the scale doesn't say so. Either way, if that's what gives you the motivation needed, then it's well worth the effort. I have my 51st birthday coming up in mid-December and I have already purchased a "lil black dress" that I plan to wear but the reward of fitting it "properly" will be a nice pair of boots to wear with it. I only need to lose a few pounds and inches to do that so that means not a lot of pressure. But being able to wear the outfit well means I have deligently worked the plan no matter what the scale says.

limetwist 10-31-2013 07:44 AM

OH! I'm also cutting all of my hair off and donating it before summer comes. Wanna get it boyshort and rock it. That will be my reward to me, all the while helping out others!

Jenn11 10-31-2013 10:59 PM

1 full year on plan, wow, congratulations to you both Ntombi and Deb!

DiamondDeb I really like that idea of behavior based rewards I think this will be especially useful for maintenance, gaining weight back is a slippery slope for me.

Trish skydiving sounds fun but I would probably be so scared I'd start eating more haha, you will definitely need to update us on your adventure when you take that leap! I'm scared of heights so I will resign myself to living through you. :eek:

Limetwist wow donating hair sounds like a really sweet thing to do. :hugs:

The next 2 months at our house will be pretty chaotic for dieting. We always get cookies and fudge and candy in the mail and from people dropping stuff off around the holidays. Plus dinner parties with relatives, plus the baking and leftovers. I won't lie I am worried of slipping up and never being heard from again. ;( This is mainly my reason for setting some goals with nice rewards attached to them for this time of the year to keep me focused no matter what. Maybe I will surf Amazon or something for some more ideas, though a facial or a massage or completely new hair color/cut do sound really exciting, maybe a different type of spa treatment depending on how much weight I lose eh? :D Thank you for all your responses I am floored by how supportive everyone here is its a huge motivator for me :heart:

Aomiel 11-02-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16664813)
I don't believe in weight loss goals anymore. They don't really make sense since you can do everything right & the scale still may not do what you think it should. Making it time-based is asking for trouble, IMO.

Goals should be achievable by doing specific things. Behavior based goals make sense.

:goodpost:

nolcjunk 11-02-2013 06:04 AM

My goal is to start another year of successful maintenance at 110 pounds.

New clothes/shoes are my favorite reward. I still remember how happy I was when my calves were no longer too fat for knee high boots and I could wear my old ones and shop for new ones.

nolcjunk 11-02-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16664813)
it.

I guess it depends on the person. Weight loss goals are what motivated me to keep going. Sure you don't always reach what you are aiming for but you get closer to goal and that for me was enough. I needed clear goals defined by scale weight because I could be doing everything like eating right, exercising, drinking water, and taking supplements and not losing and I was sick of being fat. And, if I didn't reach a goal that would just make me want to work harder.

Anonymousity 11-03-2013 12:01 AM

Goal: normal bmi. Reward: looking fabulous. Really, I need no other motivation. Looking great is the best reward I could get.

limetwist 11-03-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymousity (Post 16668656)
Goal: normal bmi. Reward: looking fabulous. Really, I need no other motivation. Looking great is the best reward I could get.

Amen. :heart:

JennyBell 11-03-2013 02:21 PM

I think its great to set a goal now, to get you through the holidays and not wait until the New Year to set a goal.

Therefore, my goal is to make it through the holidays and weigh less than I do today. To not succumb to the yummies that will be around me constantly.

Good luck to everyone else!