Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Grocery Shopping (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816254-grocery-shopping.html)

cmiller130 10-30-2013 04:06 PM

Grocery Shopping

OMG! Since I am totally obsessed with my LC WOE, I just spent 2 hours at the grocery store....reading labels, etc.! Did I tell you I hate to go to the grocery store?

MtherGoos 10-30-2013 04:11 PM

LOL. I LOVE grocery shopping, but I find that I spend much less time doing it now. Pretty much just right around the perimeter of the store for meat, eggs, cheese, and veggies and I'm done.

DiamondDeb 10-30-2013 05:59 PM

WTG! :up:

Cassie, I think it is perfectly normal to be very obsessed at first. It is kind of necessary when getting used to a new way of eating. Reading all those labels in the store saves time later & money now. Before you know it you will be in & out of the grocery store in a flash!

Grocery shopping doesn't take much time for me but I have been eating this way for a long time. I avoid most processed foods (and because of it I skip most aisles) & just buy meat, eggs, veggies. And coffee. lol... The only thing I get from dairy is organic butter & I don't need to buy it very often.

trishthedish 10-30-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16664567)
LOL. I LOVE grocery shopping, but I find that I spend much less time doing it now. Pretty much just right around the perimeter of the store for meat, eggs, cheese, and veggies and I'm done.

:goodpost:

I agree with Deb, after a while on plan you will speed up considerably! Good for you for taking the time to educate yourself. Knowledge is power!:up:

Ntombi 10-30-2013 09:18 PM

Grocery shopping is so much more simple when I'm on plan. Meat department, dairy and eggs, condiments and canned fish/meat, and produce. Done.

I actually have always loved grocery shopping, I took it over for my family when I was about eleven or twelve. To this day, I don't like other people to pick my produce or meats, I'm very particular about them.

snowangel9 10-30-2013 10:09 PM

I'm a label reader too. But I like grocery shopping. ;) Mostly now it's which broth and almond milk has the least garbage in it.. But now's the time I stock up on pumpkin and cream cheese. The holidays are awesome for some of those sales!

Aomiel 10-31-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16664567)

Same here. Can't remember the last time I made it into the 'center' aisles. I figure if I have to read the package to figure out how many 'carbs', then I probably shouldn't be eating it. :D

Karerose 10-31-2013 07:15 AM

Pretty quick for me too, but I still read labels occasionally for things I always bought because you never know when they are going to to change something. Even if it is something I think is perfectly fine, because I've been fooled. For instance I bought something like lemon pepper seasoning and after using it a few times and thinking it was soooo good I read the label and discovered they added sugar to it. (I say something like lemon pepper because I don't remember exactly what it was)

AsmallerME 10-31-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16665213)

Same here. Can't remember the last time I made it into the 'center' aisles. I figure if I have to read the package to figure out how many 'carbs', then I probably shouldn't be eating it. :D

This is me too. I barely need to read labels - produce, cheese, meat. Simple and fast. Love LC!!

susan41 10-31-2013 09:02 AM

I never was a fan of grocery shopping until LC lol, I could spend hours in my grocery store reading labels and designing new menus in my head, what's even better than my normal grocery store is getting to go to a different one and having all new or cooler products. I'm actually planning a "field trip" to trader joes, because it's a little far for me and I've never been.

I'm assuming it will wear off one of these days, but not any time soon. There's so many undiscovered products for me.

cmiller130 10-31-2013 09:24 AM

I still have to have foods for DH....he isn't on the LC WOE. However, he will make a separate trip to buy his Doritos, cookies, bread, bananas, etc. I do have a rule that if he wants pasta or potatoes at dinner, he has to make them himself! LOL I don't think he has had either in the past month! LOL

84k 10-31-2013 10:16 AM

LC is simple for shopping.

If you have to read the label, you shouldn't be buying it....

limetwist 10-31-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84k (Post 16665500)
LC is simple for shopping.

If you have to read the label, you shouldn't be buying it....

Boy, I tell ya. This is the truth right here.

I don't mean this in a preachy way, but you should just ditch everything you can that has a label, with the exception of packaged vegetables and peanut butter, etc. Makes your life easier, healthier, and gives you more free time not spent in the grocery store. You mentioned that your SO isn't eating the bad stuff once you told him he has to make it for himself. Sounds like he's already on the right track. Why not try just ditching the labeled foods as best as you can, and see how he adapts?

Of course, there are a few things I'll buy with labels. It's not black-and-white, obviously. :)

I have my "power spots" that I hit in the grocery. I actually shop at 3 groceries and each has their own power spot, so to speak. I get my meat, cheeses, dairy, and eggs at Costco (sometimes Sam's), my vegetables at ALDI, and sometimes meat/sometimes vegetables at Kroger. I don't like Costco's produce prices, so I'll swoop in, check the meat, grab my cheese, grab my dairy/eggs, and pop out. ALDI, I go right for the produce. Kroger, I hit the usual produce I specifically go to Kroger for (green leaf lettuce, cabbage, green beans, discount bin) and then hit the meat, and I'm out.

It's all a matter of finding out which of your stores offers the best combination of price and quality and taking advantage of it. Shop smarter, not harder. ;)

cmiller130 10-31-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limetwist (Post 16665511)
You mentioned that your SO isn't eating the bad stuff once you told him he has to make it for himself. Sounds like he's already on the right track.

HA! That is only with dinner! He goes to the store himself and buys the bad stuff!

As far as reading labels, well....I hadn't been to the store in a long time and needed condiments (mustard, mayo, PB) and then there are a few things hubby needed too. I also wanted coconut milk, Whey Protein Powder and even extracts. Man they put sugar in everything! Luckily, I did find some without any. I can't eat in the morning so I needed the stuff to make some yummy "shakes".

Thanks, all, for all your advice and support! I won't have to go the grocery store again for another month! :jumpjoy:

Blue Skies 10-31-2013 03:38 PM

I have come to really like grocery shopping. My hubby has always done it and that was fine, saved us money as he's a coupon clipper and buys very smart. But now that I'm on a LC woe, there are things I need that I want to pick out for myself and that are not available where he shops.

I go to three different grocery stores, but now that I know what I want at each, it's a breeze. LOVE going to Trader Joes and find most of what I need there. It's a cozy store---the UN-warehouse model, and the employees are amazing.

I do still read labels, particularly on certain frozen foods at Trader Joe's. And condiments too are something to keep up with. For instance, I now buy only reduced sugar ketchup, which I like the taste or even better than the reg, saves me lots of carbs.We love sauces and condiments at our house, so I check out all the new ones.

Still, after 8 months on this woe, I know mostly what I want and it's dart in, grab and go. I used to be a bad grocery shopper because my head could be turned by any new taste treat anywhere in the store. Now, like others here, I only really use a quarter of the store.

BTW, I love the deli at one of my stores. They have an excellent salad, soup and olive bar, as well as several good LC side dishes, and several choice of chicken wings. Quick dinners, no fuss, no muss.

Patience 10-31-2013 03:44 PM

I've also sort of honed my shopping list I know what I am looking for.
The deli in my coop labels all of their offerings, so I have learned what ones work for me for a quick meal and what doesn't. I find I buy less, and less goes to waste with this WOE.
I can walk by the the junk food and booze without batting an eye. That's progress!