LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txsgrl77
Stats: 161 start/145 current/ 125 goal
WOE: Atkins Induction phase
Start Date: 5-30-2013
advice please...re:exercise/atkins

I've read some posts discouraging exercise while on Atkins. I REALLY love running. I'll sometimes run 4 or 5 miles a day on the treadmill. Lately, I've been eating a lot of protein and am really lacking in fat. Is this what's making me feel crappy? it's still hard for me to accept that I need to up my fat tremendously on this diet. I'll either have a protein shake or turkey bacon and egg whites for breakfast....two cans of tuna with a couple tbsp of mayo for lunch and a turkey patty with salad for dinner. But lately, I've just felt "OFF" for lack of a better word. I guess I should up my fats? Thanks for helping this newbie...I appreciate it.
txsgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
So far you've got nothing to be appreciative for....77 views and 0 responses. So I'll chime in. I would never discourage anybody from exercising. They argue that it's not important for weight loss, but overweight or not, I have always been active and can't imagine a sedentary lifestyle.

I have a question. Are you trying to get into ketosis? If so, then you will be burning fats for fuel while you run. If you are just "cutting back" on the carbs, there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't know if the extra fat will help you on your runs. It sounds like you are doing a version of low carb called "Stillman's." It's very low carb, but also low fat. For some reason, this is the version of low carb that all the famous trainers and bodybuilders seem to stick with. Chris Powell, Wolverine, The Rock, etc. all eat about like you are describing. I would say increase your fats slowly and see how you feel. The first thing I would do is try some pork bacon and WHOLE eggs fried in a bit of coconut oil. You could do a beef patty with a salad. You could put avocado in that salad for some healthy fat. You could try almond or peanut butter as afternoon snack. Good luck with your weight loss and running!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txsgrl77
Stats: 161 start/145 current/ 125 goal
WOE: Atkins Induction phase
Start Date: 5-30-2013
Well....I wasn't intentionally trying to get into ketosis....although I've been in it now for about two weeks. I just have a hard time eating so much fat. I started Atkins by the book....low carb/high fat. It was ok...but it made me feel....kind of heavy. I didn't really like it but stuck with it for months. I just feel better low carb and lower fat. I guess I am also partially afraid I don't get enough calories...but then again, what is too much/too little. Sometimes I'm getting 800....sometimes I'm getting around 1000-1200 a day and running on avg 4 miles. Sometimes I find it hard to eat a lot and hope I'm not hurting my body by not eating enough calories. Here recently...I've just felt off...that's the only way I know how to describe it. Is it the being in ketosis part? I feel like I have hot flashes, occasionally I'm ravenous. I don't know. Maybe I'm OVER THINKING LOL I guess I just need to keep doing what I'm doing if it's working?!
txsgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
I don't know if you need to eat "so much fat" really- just make a few substitutions- ie butter instead of marg or full fat mayo instead of the low fat version, use a tsp of oil instead of a spray for frying etc... it doesn't take much to up your fat consumption....
jennbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsgrl77 View Post
I guess I am also partially afraid I don't get enough calories...but then again, what is too much/too little. Sometimes I'm getting 800....sometimes I'm getting around 1000-1200 a day and running on avg 4 miles. Sometimes I find it hard to eat a lot and hope I'm not hurting my body by not eating enough calories. Here recently...I've just felt off...that's the only way I know how to describe it. Is it the being in ketosis part? I feel like I have hot flashes, occasionally I'm ravenous. I don't know. Maybe I'm OVER THINKING LOL I guess I just need to keep doing what I'm doing if it's working?!
You say you need to keep doing what you're doing if it's working. Do you mean losing weight? There are other considerations than just weight loss. There's health. You say you feel 'off' and you're sometimes ravenous. That doesn't sound like 'it's working'. Your calories (at 800-1000) seem kind of low if you're running every day, as is your fat. Either of these could be why you feel 'off' and ravenous.

You can increase your fats (and calories) slightly (without going to a high fat) just by eating the whole egg instead of just the whites and cook them in just a bit of butter. Are you using a full fat dressing on your salad? If not, I would.

I don't think anyone is 'against' exercising while on Atkins. We've just said that exercise, while it has many benefits, doesn't generally lead to weight loss (for a number of reasons). So if you feel good while exercising, go for it.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
I personally would say that 800 - 1000 calories while running 4+ miles every day sounds too low calories. Even for someone very small. In 4 miles you could be burning 500 calories plus so the net for the day is very low which I know would leave me feeling very yacky!

In your shoes I would try slowly increasing calories. And if avoiding carbs I would try doing it with fat. Sounds like you already get plenty of protein so fat would be an obvious answer.

The post above suggest not really changing the volume of food, just using whole egg, full fat mayo, a little butter or dressing on salads etc. I think that would be an excelent idea to start with and see if it makes a difference to how you feel.

And yeah, excercise is awesome! It's not really needed for weight loss but does burn calories and can make a difference to your body and health so it is important.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I agree with everyone else. I do think your calories are too low. I was running 2-3 miles a day. I felt good and was eating fat in the forms of fattier meats, butter, CO and my much beloved fat bombs (homemade chocolate made w/ CO and pb). I had plenty of energy and felt great. My bloodwork came out great also. I was only losing between 5-7 lbs a month though. I've taken a month off from running because of a foot injury and I've lost 11 lbs this month. However, I feel flabbier. So if running is making my losses slower, that's okay as long as I look better. Not sure where I read this but it does makes sense. If you have a lot of extra fat and are exercising, then you can keep your fat intake at a moderate level because your body can use your stored fat as fuel. But if you are close to goal or at goal, you should consider increasing your fat intake as that is what your body will use to power through the exercises. I just use how I'm feeling as a gauge on how much to eat.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I agree with the others too. One thing, you may not be getting enough sodium either. I've read this in several books and on line, you perform better with fat as your fuel. Maria explains this really well too. She runs marathons etc. I did read somewhere, you want to win a race, give your competitor a candy bar..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2012
I'd definitely try upping the fat a little, which will up your calories. Just do what a prior poster said and use whole eggs in your breakfast, add avocado or pulled pork to the salad, and snack on a deviled egg or two. Those small changes may improve how you feel. I hope so.

I feel best with moderate fat and not super high fat. So maybe you just need somewhere in the middle too? Good luck!!
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/193/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2012; Recommit Everyday
Definitely try to up your calories, especially for how intensely you're working out!
Try regular bacon instead of turkey bacon (unless you don't eat pork), and I agree with the others, use whole eggs instead of egg whites, or at least a mix of both...
I have never been super comfortable with eating a lot of fat, your body may be the same, my experience with low carb and exercise is that it takes your body a little while to adjust to burning fat, and exercising while getting used to this can seriously drain you... so don't stop exercising but maybe take it down a notch until you start to feel better.
Also if you're struggling through your workouts, try some D-Ribose and Acetyl-L-Carnitine, they help with energy production in the body and fat metabolism.

Oh... and watch your electrolytes, things like magnesium and potassium, low carb can deplete those and make you feel run down and not so great
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 2.1.14 * 244#/234# 2.23.14
WOE: Carb Adicted: Atkins 72, measured portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
You are definitely too low in fat... probably carried over from previous way of thinking. You body needs something to run on. If you cut out the carbs & sugars, your body will burn fats from your diet... and go on to work on body fat. If you only eat protein, with little or no fats, then your body will go after your own muscle mass for fuel.
You NEDED fats.

Have regular bacon (cooked crispy) or sausage cooked well (I alternate turkey & pork) & whole egg. Adjust the quantity so you are not hungry before your next meal. A certain amount of animal fat is a good thing...
Your lunch is fine. I'd put it over lettuce. Or some rotisserie chicken added to a salad. Watch the dressing... read label & avoid sugars. I just use oil & vinegar. I eat a legal McD lunch when I'm out! Bacon cheese burger, no bun, no catsup (loaded with sugar). No fries, of course. A diet coke.
Turkey patty for dinner is fine if nothing is added (read label, avoid breading), but you can have chicken, pork, beef. Cook in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is a healthy fat. I prefer a salad because I can have a decent quantity compared to other veggies. Cucumber is pretty unlimited. I use limited grape tomatoes, fresh green beans in season.

Caffeine is a diuretic... last thing I need when I'm out is to be looking for a bathroom.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 after years of mis-dx & vague symptoms *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote