Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Pasta Linked to Depression (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816249-pasta-linked-depression.html)

GailyGail 10-30-2013 01:50 PM

Pasta Linked to Depression

New study shows that eating large amounts of pasta and other unhealthy carbohydrates causes depression:
Pasta Could Be Making You Depressed | Yahoo Health

Catzmom 10-30-2013 02:32 PM

It also says that eating red meat can lead to depression. Interesting...

Ozcook 10-30-2013 02:41 PM

Muddy Study

Quote:

Originally Posted by GailyGail (Post 16664414)
New study shows that eating large amounts of pasta and other unhealthy carbohydrates causes depression:

Did it also say that reading such articles causes depression? :hyst:

Actually, the article lost me when I read: "carbohydrates are essential to the human body as a source of glucose."

If that is true, then the Inuit badly need lots of public hospitals to treat them for an epidemic of severe carbohydrate deficiency. :stars:

princessmommy 10-30-2013 04:15 PM

I heard this on Good Morning America this morning

Jenn11 10-30-2013 05:58 PM

:rofl: Cracking up at all the comments!

All the Italians I saw in Italy a couple of years back looked extremely happy to me and they are eating loads of pasta in all shapes and sizes and forms, that and half cold pizza everywhere for fast food. :lol:

shapeup1 10-30-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn11 (Post 16664690)
:rofl: Cracking up at all the comments!

All the Italians I saw in Italy a couple of years back looked extremely happy to me and they are eating loads of pasta in all shapes and sizes and forms, that and half cold pizza everywhere for fast food. :lol:

True the Italians are one of the happiest people :)

Jenn11 10-30-2013 06:08 PM

Carbs make me very happy. The problem is I love them too much. In fact if I was told to choose which way to eat for the rest of my life either meat-fat-veggies or low fat, carbs-veggies I would definitely pick the carbs. That's why protein diet is so effective for me haha.

snowangel9 10-30-2013 10:30 PM

That's an interesting article. It's like they want to say, Dr. Atkins was right, but without saying it. Sounded like they were walking some kind of line there.. Don't want to admit they've been totally wrong all this time, just kinda wrong.. :)

watcher513 10-30-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16664894)
That's an interesting article. It's like they want to say, Dr. Atkins was right, but without saying it. Sounded like they were walking some kind of line there.. Don't want to admit they've been totally wrong all this time, just kinda wrong.. :)

Yeah, that's like being kind of pregnant.

GailyGail 10-31-2013 03:35 AM

Hmmmm, clearly I should not waste my time posting article that are relevant to the low carb WOE.

kjwalsh 10-31-2013 04:06 AM

That must be why I've never felt better since going low carb!

and my family has a history of depression

Emily-D 10-31-2013 06:41 AM

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it!

Josh1234 10-31-2013 03:54 PM

The people who shoved this hi-carb low-fat diet on us 30 years ago apparently spent little time thinking about the long term effects of it, such as how the diet might affect other areas of health besides heart disease.

I recall that Phil Handler, the president of the National Academy of Science asked ''What right has the federal government to propose that the American people conduct a vast nutritional experiment, with themselves as subjects, on the strength of so very little evidence that it will do them any good?''

Anybody here remember when we gave up that dangerous butter for healthy high trans-fat margarine. Yea, right.

Jenn11 10-31-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GailyGail (Post 16664966)
Hmmmm, clearly I should not waste my time posting article that are relevant to the low carb WOE.

I am soo sorry I only realized how rude I was after I went back and reread the thread. :o Truth is I actually loved this thread and the findings are encouraging to us low carbers, so thank you for helping keep us informed! :heart: I was just being a smart mouth about loving my carbs. And got a little to post happy. :o :goodpost:

Girlieschmoo 10-31-2013 10:21 PM

A 12-year study using research from 43,000 participants gets my attention...I would say they have made a definite correlation. Makes perfect sense, knowing what we know about what carbs, especially pasta-type, do to our bodies.

This research just makes me sooo thankful to be following a LCHF woe....

Aquarius 11-01-2013 07:16 AM

Interesting article. I am reading "Grain Brain" and I am becoming more and more convinced that there is overwhelming evidence for the carb/inflammation/disease connection. I think the problem will become that people hear so many conflicting things, it becomes like the "silver bullet" of the moment and they just tune out.

Quote:

Anybody here remember when we gave up that dangerous butter for healthy high trans-fat margarine.
YES! One of my hot buttons. People probably did so much damage to themselves following this advice, it's not even funny.

Another thing that gets me is the fake eggs. Like eating manufactured food is better than a complete natural food. Sheesh.

Helen Wheelz 11-01-2013 07:32 AM

This is definitely an interesting article. Thanks for posting!

Not sure if I agree since it seems like everytime you turn around some food is being labelled as "good", "bad" or carcinogenic. It's hard to tell fact from fiction. :confused::confused:

jennbeingme 11-03-2013 06:06 AM

i know in my case- eating carbs ( especially processed wheat-based carbs such as pasta) does make my depression harder to manage. BUT my family has a distinct correlation here. We ALL react in varying degrees and have a strong history of depression, ADD and diabetes. Not ALL people will react this way- as usual it's a case of YMMV.

CTIgrad 11-03-2013 09:01 PM

The only depression I suffer from post-pasta is the empty bowl no more pasta depression. That can usually be cured by some sourdough bread however.