Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy12
WOE: Atkins and Gluten Free
Start Date: October 1, 2013
Halloween

Halloween is almost here and I need some pointers. I have two small children that will be trick or treating and coming home with a lot of candy. I have been doing okay thus far because I know that I can't have chocolate in my house. However, after tomorrow, there will be chocolate everywhere. It will be in my home and on the kitchen counter at work. I love chocolate and this is going to be so difficult for me. Sometimes I think well just one would be okay, but no, it's never just one. For those who love chocolate, how do you stay away from it?
Lucy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
You might try dumping most of it in the trash or taking it to work and giving it to your co workers to take home. Since your kids are small they will never know. IF you just have to have some chocolate try the SF Russell Stover brand candy. It is good. It does have SA and too much might give you bathroom issues. If you do not want this you might try Linda Sue`s website. She has some great recipes for treats. Good Luck !!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The only way I can deal with the presence of any type of candy is TOTAL abstinence. Like the alcoholic who cannot have 'just one drink,' I have found that 'just one' leads to complete loss of control.

Oddly, by abstaining, I don't feel at all deprived. I just look at the stuff as something I don't eat.

It's all a mental game. If you start fantasizing about how delicious it all is (and it IS), you are just talking yourself into eating it. By "fencing it off" in my mind as something I don't eat, I'm not tempted--much.

After all, consider this. Not just Halloween but all year round I shop at the supermarket that has dozens of 'trigger foods' for me. In order to deal with that, I just assign those items to the "I don't eat" category. Sure, my lower brain tells me that I can try x, y, or z 'just this once,' but I try to identify that voice as the self-deception it is.

I've been maintaining for over 3 years, and it's only by constant vigilance that I can manage my weight. I didn't get to over 300 lbs without developing 'food issues,' and those issues didn't disappear with my unwanted pounds.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Do what my cats do, and think of everything that hits the ground as a toy that you can play with. Bat them all around until they end up piled under the couch and forgotten about.

When I was very successfully low-carbing (I'm rebooting after a hormonal-out-of-whack-plus-bad-self-esteem stretch, but back on track now) I viewed things like wrapped candies as just weird abstract objects in crinkly wrappers.

They're not really food, really. Just take a peek at the ingredients.

My cats really are the progressive thinkers in society.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy12
WOE: Atkins and Gluten Free
Start Date: October 1, 2013
Thank you for the responses and some great ideas. I never thought of bringing it into work. That is doable and kids would never know. I like the idea of "fencing it off" in my mind. That's what I need to do. I know that if I had one, I would want more. I remember those days all too well.

Like your idea limetwist, only problem is that one, we have no couch now lol. Ordered it and waiting. 2nd, the dogs would be going nuts if there was any food on the floor. Love the humour though and can totally picture cats doing that.
Lucy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Halloween is just one day out of the year. And the beginning of the holidays. So I could see this spiraling quickly out of control. Take it to work or throw it out. Who really needs that stuff?
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Or, rather than throwing it out, box it up and send it to our U.S. soldiers serving in war/high risk zones. There are addresses all over the web where you can do just that.
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
This may be a little late but I think it is a good idea to give out candy, you don't like.
For you that would be no Chocolate!

I just don't eat candy so it is not a problem.
One bite and that's a good 50 or so pounds.
It is like a drug for me.
I think some of us get into trouble when we say "Its just one small piece and I have worked so hard. I deserve it".
No you really don't, you deserve to stay on plan. Just think how wonderful you will feel the next day!
Feeling in control is so much better than having a taste of candy.

It is hard but you can do it.
Every year it gets easier.
Now it is just second nature for me.

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change
Carl Rogers

Permanent weight loss requires permanent change.
Annabel Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Package what the kids do not eat and take it to a homeless shelter. There are kids there that did not get to go trick or treating.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The only way I can deal with the presence of any type of candy is TOTAL abstinence. Like the alcoholic who cannot have 'just one drink,' I have found that 'just one' leads to complete loss of control.

Oddly, by abstaining, I don't feel at all deprived. I just look at the stuff as something I don't eat.

It's all a mental game. If you start fantasizing about how delicious it all is (and it IS), you are just talking yourself into eating it. By "fencing it off" in my mind as something I don't eat, I'm not tempted--much.

After all, consider this. Not just Halloween but all year round I shop at the supermarket that has dozens of 'trigger foods' for me. In order to deal with that, I just assign those items to the "I don't eat" category. Sure, my lower brain tells me that I can try x, y, or z 'just this once,' but I try to identify that voice as the self-deception it is.

I've been maintaining for over 3 years, and it's only by constant vigilance that I can manage my weight. I didn't get to over 300 lbs without developing 'food issues,' and those issues didn't disappear with my unwanted pounds.

Well said.
Exactly....candy is just something I don't eat.
I can handle it and even carry it around in my purse.
I just know I will never take that first bite.
This makes it so much easer for me.
Annabel Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I had to white knuckle it through Halloween the first year back to low carb (restarted the middle of Oct 2009). But by the next year, it didn't bother me at all in terms of temptation.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I buy candy to hand out that I don't like and when DD comes home with candy, I dump most of it in the trash. I keep a few pieces she really wants but the other stuff goes out to the curb. It is hard but I just white knuckle it like Cathy said. Good luck tomorrow!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII View Post
Package what the kids do not eat and take it to a homeless shelter. There are kids there that did not get to go trick or treating.

I also love the idea of shipping it overseas.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
Yes yes chocolate is a big weakness of mine... I can't stand gummy bears and hard candies but the chocolate I go crazy for.

Maybe do what I do? Tell your husband to keep all the candy inside his car and out of sight (keep the car locked) tell the kids to keep their candies in lockers at school or completely hidden out of sight including the wrappers. Addictions suck complete abstinence works best!
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
Quote:

this is perfect & congrats on doing so well in maintenance!
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Our 'rule of the house' says once kids bring home all their candy,we pick a few(like maybe 5 or 6) each kid likes and put the rest in large bowls and set it out the door.They are always gone in an hour or so and we get plenty late night tricksters in our area.

since this has happened every single Halloween,my kids don't protest,they are used to it.

I also make filling dinners that day.another idea is to makeLC chocolate candy from legal ingredients.I make coconut oil fat bombs with cocoa powder,cc oil,and a little stevia.
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slowknight
Stats: 285/183/180
Start Date: March 25, 2013
Just be disciplined and allow yourself a couple fun size bars/day. Its not going to stall/affect your diet if you keep it to that portion size.
slowknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowknight View Post
Just be disciplined and allow yourself a couple fun size bars/day. Its not going to stall/affect your diet if you keep it to that portion size.
If only it were that easy. Definitely easier said than done for some. And not true. For some people, it is like taking that first drink.. Better to just avoid it for now. And sugar is one of the major things we should absolutely cut out of our diets.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote