Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Halloween - do I have to cheat? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816226-halloween-do-i-have-cheat.html)

Whyohwh 10-30-2013 07:41 AM

Halloween - do I have to cheat?

This year, for some very strange reason (low carbing for 8 months, perhaps), I really don't feel like eating all of my kid's candies, like I have done so many times in the past.

Has anyone experienced a Halloween without a single cheat/candy?

Somehow, I think that if I don't join in the sugar fest, I will feel deprived.

Chocolate Rose 10-30-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyohwh (Post 16663853)

Somehow, I think that if I don't join in the sugar fest, I will feel deprived.

Last year was my first year. I intend to do the same this year. It will be 2 years in March 2014 that I've stayed on the straight and narrow path. No cravings and no feelings of deprivation. Just make the decision to not cheat and stick to it. Good luck!

Mistizoom 10-30-2013 07:52 AM

I don't plan to eat any candy this year. :dunno:

peanutte 10-30-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Sure. Look at it this way. You are an adult, you can choose to have candy any old time if you really want it. There's nothing special about Halloween except the availability of candy in your home. Think of all the other off-plan foods that are around you all the time at all times of year. You can do without those, and you probably make that choice all the time. So it doesn't need to be any different with trick-or-treat candy.

tori_lk 10-30-2013 07:54 AM

Not planning on indulging...I just really don't have the desire.
Tori

Aquarius 10-30-2013 07:59 AM

I did not cheat last Halloween and have no plans to do so this Halloween. In fact, I do not plan to eat any candy but for 80+ cacao chocolate, ever again.

Leo41 10-30-2013 08:09 AM

IMO, feeling deprived is a mental state, and I don't feel deprived unless I allow myself to entertain that feeling.

I have a world-class sweet tooth, but I know that sugar is bad for me for many reasons, and when I make the choice NOT to indulge, I actually feel good about myself rather than 'deprived' because in my view I've made a healthy choice for myself and am exerting control.

Catzmom 10-30-2013 08:30 AM

Other than my one weak moment looking at the Red Vines in the Halloween Aisle and whimpering slightly... I have been OK with the giant bowl of candy on my table. It doesn't look good enough to me to make me want feel as rotten as it will make me feel!

MargD 10-30-2013 08:41 AM

I have not indulged on the last two Halloweens. No plans to change that this year.

trishthedish 10-30-2013 09:03 AM

I did not partake in Halloween candy in 2012 and I will not for 2013.

I only had one, brief moment at Publix last Friday when my eyes landed on a display of Reese’s Pumpkins (my all time favorite candy). My body clenched and I quickly darted my eyes in another direction and they unfortunately landed on a display of baked goods! :laugh: With that, I focused my eyes on checkout lane number 6 and quickly made my way out!

In all seriousness, all the candy in the world does not magically disappear on November 1st. You can technically have anything you want to eat anytime you want it. You are simply CHOOSING not to… and for good, healthy, mature reasons.:shake:

Aquarius 10-30-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

IMO, feeling deprived is a mental state, and I don't feel deprived unless I allow myself to entertain that feeling.
IMO, too. I deal with temptation by refusing to go there. And I can honestly say I never feel deprived.

princessmommy 10-30-2013 09:14 AM

Not even tempted. My husband brought home some wethers caramel apple filled candy for the kids last night and I was fine with it. I figure they'll get a lot thursday TT but I am pretty confident I won't eat any

Arctic_Mama 10-30-2013 09:15 AM

I never regret staying on plan. Ever. But I can tell you I've regretted going off plan many times! I always have food of my own on hand for holidays and parties, so I can have something that promotes my health and satisfies my mind, all at once, and guilt free. For me, it's pumpkin shakes and dark chocolate. Why would I want cheap, waxy processed crud when I have something SO much yummier?

If you're going to eat off plan, make it for foods that are worth it. Your great aunt's apple pie at Christmas? That may be worth eating a slice. A fun size snickers bar? Pfft!

Key Tones 10-30-2013 09:51 AM

I am utilizing my blood glucose machine daily starting now to help prevent amnesia.

I am suprisingly good at forgetting what candy will do to me!

lterry913 10-30-2013 10:19 AM

I started Atkins on Halloween 2 years 364 days ago. Halloween will be my 3rd Atkinsversary...I did not have a treat that night or for the following 2 weeks of induction...I can not say I haven't had a treat in the 3 years that followed, but the trick or treat candy would not be my choice of derailment. Make yourself a special low carb treat and stick to plan.
Happy Halloween.

bobbinb 10-30-2013 10:19 AM

Im not touching the stuff, sure its tempting but I just tell myself its poisen. If I do eat it I start craving sweets and im out of control, just cant stop, so none for me.:sick:

snowangel9 10-30-2013 11:10 AM

Well, my kids are all grown and I won't have any trick or treaters. But if I am at the store I don't even go near the Halloween candy. No desire, none, zip, nada. If you think you'll feel deprived by not participating in the sugar fest, and that's what it is, sugar. Make your self something yummy that's low carb.

Halloween candy is not worth the regret tomorrow..

MtherGoos 10-30-2013 11:23 AM

Like you, I've been on plan for 8 months now, and have absolutely no desire to go off plan for Halloween. In the past, I would gorge myself on Halloween candy, but this year, I'm not even tempted and won't be having any at all. It's just not worth it.

limetwist 10-30-2013 11:23 AM

I cheated like heck last year. I actually have a very vivid memory of my husband and I sitting on the couch after the kids stopped coming to the door, taking turns unwrapping the crappy store-brand candies and reveling in the terrible tooth-rotting crap candy. Why, oh why! It's quite amusing, in retrospect.

Needless to say, if you do not feel the urge, then that's GREAT!

This year I am not letting any crap touch my lips. I spent the better part of a year practically injecting sugar and flour into my veins and am now paying the price. I'm committed and ready to roll.

Fight the Halloween candy craze! You can do it.

Janknitz 10-30-2013 02:52 PM

This will be my third Halloween without eating candy. No big deal. The smell of sugary candy disgusts me now, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. It will be my first day off Whole 30, so I am going to celebrate with some low carb chocolate treats, but because I've been looking forward to them all month, not just because it's Halloween.

Spanilingo 10-30-2013 03:36 PM

For some reason last year (or maybe year before) I decided to make a roast turkey on Halloween. I don't even like turkey but just remember the whole house smelling so freaking good that every trick or treater asking to come in for dinner.
No snicker bar could compare to just that yummy roasty smell.

Good tactic for that night. Roast something that far surpasses Laffy Taffy.

THEN--- I found that the little Sugar Free Hersey Bars helped. WHile I dont eat them now , I found that eating ONE of them while there was chocolate around gave me the feeling that I was indulging in candy. ANd since they arent NEARLY as good as the real thing, I wasnt tempted to raid the bag. With a little peanut butter, they tasted just like reeces to me.

Sometimes it is kind of a "habit" thing. But then again, I never had a big sweet tooth.

Psmileyf 10-30-2013 03:40 PM

No candy for me the past 2 years. I did buy Atkins PB cups for when I was tempted by a Reeses.

Wait until Easter though- I will eat a Cadbury Egg. Without regret!

cmiller130 10-30-2013 03:49 PM

None for me! They are predicting heavy rains and high winds tomorrow so my grandson will not be able to trick-or-treat. To compensate for that, I went and bought all kinds of candy and made him up a pumpkin bucket. Normally, I would sneak one or two. No desire this time! YAY!

Biochic 10-30-2013 03:57 PM

I'm struggling

I am 300+ days clean eating and that darn Halloween candy is tormenting me:stars: I deliberating bought stuff that I thought wouldn't appeal to me. Now, all of a sudden I'm dying for a tootsie roll:annoyed:
Ridiculous. Tomorrow needs to come and go....quickly!

llisarray 10-30-2013 07:45 PM

No Halloween candy for me...if I want something sweet, I have Lindt 85 and 90% and the little green wrapped fake chocolate mint candy

slowknight 10-30-2013 08:02 PM

I will have a few pieces because a little bit of candy isnt going to stall me or send me over the edge into some sugar craving lunatic.

createart 10-30-2013 08:42 PM

I didn't buy any candy this year at all... Even if I did I don't think I'd feel deprived at all. I don't have a desire to have any candy at this point.

Mom2AandE 10-30-2013 09:44 PM

I envy those of you who don't have cravings. I, unfortunately, have been cheating this week. I have a terrible candy addiction. I have been staying on track with everything else and today I had a small binge. I do feel guilty and I want this junk out of my house asap. I will be back on plan 100% on Friday and will do my best to limit my cheat tomorrow. I don't like the sugar headache and bloat. Sometimes we need a little reminder of why we are doing this and I am getting a big reminder right now.

LoriWants2Lose 10-31-2013 01:03 AM

I try to have a low carb option on hand for my favorites in case I "can't stand it". I don't recommend eating a ton of them because it stalls some people and can have other side effects, but Russell Stover makes some good candies and you can get hard sf candy or make your own things like mock PB fudge with cream cheese. Just figure out which candies trigger you and find an alternative.

For me? I LOVE twix. So, I try to have some SF caramels on hand. They are individually wrapped, so one or two will usually kill the craving.

Others try to eat a fat bomb and that will work. Good luck.

snowdancer79 10-31-2013 05:01 AM

I made it through last Halloween A-Okay. I've been struggling for the past 5 months though to make it through the week clean. Gonna load myself up with so much fat today that candy doesn't even sound good,.