LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Atkins For Life book "example stories"

Of course they chose these people! (Results not typical, right?) Ah, the power or marketing!

#1 - A (then) 40 year old woman who lost 50 pounds in 4 months, despite admitting to cheating fairly often during the diet.

#2 - 33 Year old women who lost 67 pounds in 4 months.

#3 - A 45 year old woman who lost 26 pounds in less than 3 months.

#4 - a 38 year old guy who lost 40 pounds in 8 weeks.

Wish I was getting those kind of results, I would be almost done by now!
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Yeah, the marketing is unfortunate because it gives a warped view of expected results. I always cringe when the Atkins people look for their next success story to feature on their website and commercials. You just know my "55 pounds in 15 months!" would not make the cut, no matter how much better I look and how much I love the diet.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Wish I was getting those kind of results, I would be almost done by now!
Yes, but no matter how slow and gradual your results, the real measure of success is staying done.

I don't really care about those stories if the people did not keep the weight off for at least a few years before they were held up as examples.

Lots of people can lose impressive amounts of weight pretty quickly. Some have plenty of practice, because they do it repeatedly. Show me some people who have lost whatever amount they needed to--whether 20 pounds or 100 pounds--and are still at goal. And I mean at goal, as in, staying within a few pounds, not regaining ten or twenty pounds shortly after reaching goal and then trying to lose it again for the next several years.

It seems like every weight loss book or plan, or prepared-meals program, tries to pitch the same basic things: rapid weight loss, effortless weight loss, not giving things up, not having to count things, not having to work hard, being able to indulge. It's a fantasy.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Yes, but no matter how slow and gradual your results, the real measure of success is staying done.

I don't really care about those stories if the people did not keep the weight off for at least a few years before they were held up as examples.

Lots of people can lose impressive amounts of weight pretty quickly. Some have plenty of practice, because they do it repeatedly. Show me some people who have lost whatever amount they needed to--whether 20 pounds or 100 pounds--and are still at goal. And I mean at goal, as in, staying within a few pounds, not regaining ten or twenty pounds shortly after reaching goal and then trying to lose it again for the next several years.

It seems like every weight loss book or plan, or prepared-meals program, tries to pitch the same basic things: rapid weight loss, effortless weight loss, not giving things up, not having to count things, not having to work hard, being able to indulge. It's a fantasy.

Yes but no matter how slow and gradual your results, the real measure of success is staying done.

Peanutte, I've often wished you would post a pic of your "little bitty" self ! You are an inspiration to so many......
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Ditto! Well put peanutte! That is the key, being healthy is a journey and it doesn't end once you've lost the weight... In fact, losing may be the easy part!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mary Lee
Well. I am a believer, that if you log EVERYTHING, that you eat, and drink (coffee, tea) the powdered sweetners or creamers , anything, and eat according to the list, you will not only lose, but if by any chance you are a type 2 diabetic, your blood sugar will lower in a remarkable way in two months. It will began to lower the end of the first week. I started this low carb diet August 19, 2013, and have lost 24 pounds. I just turned 75, and use a cane to help with my balance, so very limited exercise. I have been reading these forums daily, and this is my first time to respond or post, but felt I needed to inspire others not to give up, and to do it properly so they too can feel better and lse weight. I have had Chrons, since 2000. This has been the best for my gastro issues thatare a part of that problem. ENERGY gained is such a plus. Good Luck, and thank you to the forum for helping
me to keep on tract.
Mary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
They specifically chose people who lost the weight quite some time ago and have maintained just fine. Many years, in most cases. One lady said the weight "fell off faster than she could keep track of it." Must be nice - I've been stalled for a month!
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Well. I am a believer, that if you log EVERYTHING, that you eat, and drink (coffee, tea) the powdered sweetners or creamers , anything, and eat according to the list, you will not only lose, but if by any chance you are a type 2 diabetic, your blood sugar will lower in a remarkable way in two months.
Don't get me wrong, I know that people can lose pretty quickly once they do they things you're describing. How much and how fast can depend on a lot of factors. That is very motivating for people. I was happy to lose 16 pounds in those first two months, and I got off my blood pressure medication too, so that was great.

I had a long way to go, and many more months to get there, but you're right, Mary Lee--it's important and valuable to tell people not to give up. Congratulations on your weight loss and improved health!

Catzmom, if the examples given in the new book are truly long-term success stories, that's how it should be. But I am just saying, in general: phrases like "the weight fell off faster than she could keep track of it" make me roll my eyes. That may well be the case for some people. And...did they keep going, even when things slowed down? Did they sustain it? Do they guard their goal weight and not yo-yo up and down? If so, great. If not, I guess it didn't really help them to have it "fall off" in such a way that it was shockingly fast and easy. I sure didn't lose all mine by accident or without trying to be super-mindful about it, and I don't feel it's particularly helpful or realistic to keep encouraging that as an ideal. I can't speak to the new Atkins book's examples, because I haven't read that book, but I can say I notice it all the time in all different types of weight-loss promotion.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
1998 I lost 40# in 3 months. Kept it off til 2005, still struggling trying to get it off.
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lee View Post
Well. I am a believer, that if you log EVERYTHING, that you eat, and drink (coffee, tea) the powdered sweetners or creamers , anything, and eat according to the list, you will not only lose, but if by any chance you are a type 2 diabetic, your blood sugar will lower in a remarkable way in two months. It will began to lower the end of the first week. I started this low carb diet August 19, 2013, and have lost 24 pounds. I just turned 75, and use a cane to help with my balance, so very limited exercise. I have been reading these forums daily, and this is my first time to respond or post, but felt I needed to inspire others not to give up, and to do it properly so they too can feel better and lse weight. I have had Chrons, since 2000. This has been the best for my gastro issues thatare a part of that problem. ENERGY gained is such a plus. Good Luck, and thank you to the forum for helping
me to keep on tract.

Congrats on making such gains in good health!!
cabrioluvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Slow and steady wins the race.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote