LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
My DH's disappointing second LC week

Please help me help my DH. In 2 weeks he's lost a total of 3 pounds. Whomp whomp.

He's diabetic on metformin (fasting was over 350 two weeks ago ) and he's about 375 lbs. He started LC 2 weeks ago and is better about taking his medicine. His fasting glucose is now between 150-200 (higher # is in the morning), he's not super thirsty and peeing constantly, feels better overall, and lost 5 lbs the first week. He's easily eating under 30 net carbs a day but some days that might vary. His calories are probably around 1500-2000 a day...he's not interested in most of the food I am serving so is eating a LOT less that he has been. DH is a picky eater who LOVES carbs but he's willing to eat what I put in front of him. We aren't eating grains or wheat (I can't have gluten) but I do use coconut flour for some stuff once or twice a week. He's not a huge fan of it so he isn't overeating that though. Once in a while I make coconut flour pancakes or a small treat using coconut flour/liquid splenda but he doesn't eat much of it if any. Says it tastes like sawdust.

- For brekky he eats 2-3 cream cheese muffins or skips it.
- For lunch, chef salad w/fatty dressing or meat/veggie leftovers.
- For dinner, eggs/bacon or meat/veggies.
At night he snacks on a fat bomb or coconut bark or pork rinds or a few LC peanut butter cookies.
- He is not drinking enough water - probably 2-3 glasses of Coke Zero or tea daily which is down from almost a gallon 2 weeks ago (super thirsty and peeing a lot from the high glocose levels)
- He doesn't sleep enough at all. He works full time and another part time job at church so he sleeps maybe 5 hours a night.

Well he weighed this morning and he's GAINED 2 pounds. He only weighs once a week so it isn't like he's seeing a simple daily fluctuation. Poor guy is upset and said, "Im eating all this stuff I hate and all I have to show for it is 3 pounds. I'm a big man and should be losing a ton of weight!"

I told him that lowering his glucose was our goal and not a number on the scale. His metabolism is very, very damaged from being overweight all of his life and being diabetic with poor control for the last 7 years. I recommended trying to eat more because 1500-2000 calories might not be enough (he disagrees). Maybe we should start measuring him each week instead of weighing? I recommended drinking a lot more water and cutting out the soda. We've been talking about dropping aspartame so this might be a good opportunity to do so. He isn't "cheating" because he's too honest and I'd see it reflected on his glucose meter. I tried to reassure him but he just didn't want to talk about it at all.

Thoughts? Encouragement? Tips? He wants to succeed. I want him to succeed and am trying everything I can think of to help him do it. I'm a little bit shocked that he gained this week when he's been so good!

Sorry this is so long. His dad died of diabetic complications at 58 and I don't want to be a widow in 20 years.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are, so I have some experience with the issues you describe.

First of all, please try to get your husband to consider regulating his BS the PRIORITY, and weight loss secondary. That's critical for diabetics.

Also, two of my sisters had real difficulty losing weight, and their doctor suspected it was the Rx they needed for their diabetes. For some people, these meds inhibit weight loss, and make it a much slower process.

Finally, one of my sisters recently had weight loss surgery (gastric sleeve), and within 3 months she had normal blood sugars with NO meds. Right after her surgery, she was very discouraged because she did not have the big losses that others experience, and her surgeon had predicted, but she is losing much better since she's been off all diabetic meds. This again suggests that the meds may be the problem.

In any case, ALL doctors consider regulating BS the priority for diabetics, so those are the numbers that your husband should consider important. In fact, he may want to stay off the scale for a while and measure his progress in terms of BS.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dianthus
Congratulations to him taking this first step and to you for working with him. This is a real opportunity to change his life. Has he read any material about low carb so he can understand the fundamental concepts? If it were you asking on your own behalf, I would recommend a two week commitment to strict induction--first to see some progress in weight loss, and second, to reduce cravings and get into ketosis. Is he amenable to this approach? It is really hard to make recommendations for a third party--will he resent your tinkering with his meals?? I would lose the diet soda, and the low carb treats for now. They may trigger cravings that will make it more difficult for him. How about bigger servings of food he really likes--eggs and bacon, steak, meat and vegetable stir fry. You don't need to actually talk calories at this point but it is important that he feel satisfied with meals. If he can commit to a few weeks of induction, he will probably see more weight dropping and will be in ketosis so he will not be hungry. Visible results may make him feel that this approach is worth the effort. Is his doctor supportive of low carb?
dianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are, so I have some experience with the issues you describe.

First of all, please try to get your husband to consider regulating his BS the PRIORITY, and weight loss secondary. That's critical for diabetics.
Exactly. Weight isn't as important as his blood sugar. We've both done a lot of reading and it can take 4-6 weeks to get a diabetic's blood sugar down with LC.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianthus View Post
Congratulations to him taking this first step and to you for working with him. This is a real opportunity to change his life. Has he read any material about low carb so he can understand the fundamental concepts? If it were you asking on your own behalf, I would recommend a two week commitment to strict induction--first to see some progress in weight loss, and second, to reduce cravings and get into ketosis. Is he amenable to this approach? It is really hard to make recommendations for a third party--will he resent your tinkering with his meals?? I would lose the diet soda, and the low carb treats for now. They may trigger cravings that will make it more difficult for him. How about bigger servings of food he really likes--eggs and bacon, steak, meat and vegetable stir fry. You don't need to actually talk calories at this point but it is important that he feel satisfied with meals. If he can commit to a few weeks of induction, he will probably see more weight dropping and will be in ketosis so he will not be hungry. Visible results may make him feel that this approach is worth the effort. Is his doctor supportive of low carb?
He did LC before and lost 150 pounds. He knows it works and knows the basics. Before it was vanity but now it is a matter of life or death.

I agree with what you suggested but he won't eat more of the basics, no matter what I make. He's eating at induction levels but either has no physical desire to eat or no psychological desire to eat. There is no way I'm going to convince him to go completely off diet soda or give up fat bombs at this point. He's given up 95% of what he loves to eat and I think that doing the other 5% would backfire.

He doesn't care about my tinkering at all. I'm the cook so he eats what I make.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

Also, two of my sisters had real difficulty losing weight, and their doctor suspected it was the Rx they needed for their diabetes. For some people, these meds inhibit weight loss, and make it a much slower process.

...but she is losing much better since she's been off all diabetic meds. This again suggests that the meds may be the problem.
This is what my mom was told too.. You could check around the Internet for higher fat recipes. Fat is the only thing that won't affect his BS. Maria has some that are pretty good... She's HFLC - you know, right, that excess protein will turn to sugar too. Not saying that's what's happening, because it sounds like the guy isn't eating enough...
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
This is what my mom was told too.. You could check around the Internet for higher fat recipes. Fat is the only thing that won't affect his BS. Maria has some that are pretty good... She's HFLC - you know, right, that excess protein will turn to sugar too. Not saying that's what's happening, because it sounds like the guy isn't eating enough...
Oh, that's a good point! I forgot about protein turning into glucose. Thank you so much for mentioning that. I'll definately look at her recipes and see if I can bump up his fat (and thereby his calories) without affecting his blood sugar levels.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 8/18/14
He may be at "induction levels", but he is not doing an induction. I think that may be a good start, just to get his engine revving. Drop the peanutbutter, coconut flour, etc. If he eats what's in front of him, change it up and serve him some things he'll love. Oh, and I can't lose when I eat cream cheese muffins. So drop those a few days. Instead, try something like this:

B: 3 egg omelet with his favorite veggies and proteins in it - do lots of bacon and sausage and cheese. Have a side of roasted asparagus and crispy bacon. Coffee w/ real cream.
L: Salad (if he likes salad) with his favorite meat on top.
S: jalapeno poppers, deviled eggs, tuna salad wrapped in lettuce leaves, etc.
D: big juicy steak with garlic butter on top, green beans, and faux potatoes.

Find what he likes and try to keep everything as exciting as possible at first. He needs to get his mind into it.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I would highly recommend getting ahold of Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" because, while low carb works well, diabetics have some special issues...and I agree with everyone else. Get the BG's under control and the weight will take care of itself. Here are some main points of Dr. Bernstein and what took me from not losing on Atkins and not controlling my BG to getting my A1c down to 4.9 and getting down to 150 lbs...
  • No more than 25gm of carbs per day and then only from non-starchy vegies.
    In other words, get rid of the 'flours' because even coconut flour has carbs (my package says 10gm per 1/2 oz...and that is a lot of freakin' carbs!).
  • Divide your carbs up - 5 or less for breakfast (usually found in eggs or cheese); 10 at lunch and 10 at dinner.
    Too many carbs at once will cause BG's to go up which is why they're divided up through the day
  • Eat 3 meals per day...no snacks.
    Every time we eat, our body prepares to push insulin and then will...even if we eat rocks. So, no your BG won't go up, but you're still creating the problems that led you to be insulin resistant and diabetic. It's important to reverse the insulin resistance if you want to tightly control your diabetes
  • Control the amount of protein you eat. Bernstein says 1-1.5gm per kilo of *ideal* weight. Some people need less...some more...but this is a good place to start.
    Excess protein causes a rise in BG as well...not just carbs.

I would strongly encourage you or him to weigh and record everything he eats in one of the online food journals. It will keep track of the numbers for you. Maybe not a concern for non-diabetics, but it is for diabetics...particularly one just starting out...as your husband's second disappointing week shows.

My guess is he's eating far more carbs than you think he is because at his weight, the pounds should be dropping off very quickly *even* with being diabetic and taking meds.

Oh and salads are not necessarily low carb. I found I had to work to keep my salads at 10 carbs because the eggs, romaine, dressing (even my homemade blue cheese or italian), any vegies...add up quickly. The calories sort of stunned me too with my salads coming in at a whopping slightly under 500 calories.

Bacon and eggs make a great breakfast. Tuna/Chicken salad made with mayo or deviled eggs made with real mayo and a small salad or some type of vegie for lunch. Cheeseburger and some type of vegie for dinner or a taco salad (meat with seasonings) over romaine, sprinkle with cheese, a bit of sour cream, maybe even mashed avocado. Go ahead and put on the butter or roast vegies in the oven with olive oil. I'd stay away from processed 'low carb diet' foods and get away from faux anything as most are still way too high in carbs.

Just so you know. I took my BG's from close to 300 and over down to under 100 *without* medication in about 2.5 months (or something like that). My A1c when I started Bernstein was 13. Six months later it was 4.9. Now, I did that by being 100% compliant with the diet (never exercised) and *never* cheated, so if there are little oopsies (and I'm not talking about the rolls) in there, it can take longer.

Good luck to you both.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Good advice above, especially to look at Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. Jenny Ruhl, author of Diabetes 101 (and there's a website by the same name) , has a lot of simple, basic information with Dr. Bernstein's book as her inspiration.

Your husband should learn to "eat to the meter" so he can see the immediate result of what he puts in his mouth. That means taking his blood sugar readings AFTER meals to see what kind of spikes he's getting in blood glucose. Jenny Ruhl points out (there are disputes about this) that ORGAN DAMAGE begins at blood sugars beginning at 140. Make him responsible for his blood sugar monitoring. He should particularly watch his blood glucose after ingesting Coke Zero--there's some evidence that even non-caloric artificial sweeteners provoke an insulin response, which could DROP his blood sugar and make him feel pretty awful. With Type II diabetes, it isn't the LACK of insulin that's the problem (until the very late stages), it's TOO much insulin so that the cells become resistant and will not allow insulin to do it's job to properly manage blood sugar.

Compile a list of foods he WILL eat from the list of low carb foods (meat, fish, eggs, healthy fats, non-starchy veggies) and try to plan menus he will enjoy, without a lot of fake, substitute foods. Pack lots of low carb snacks for him, so that he will have an alternative when his workplace presents lots of carby options.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
-there's some evidence that even non-caloric artificial sweeteners provoke an insulin response, which could DROP his blood sugar and make him feel pretty awful.
That has been my experience with AS. They did affect my BG's. Splenda was initially designed for diabetics because they claimed it did not cause an insulin response. Newer studies are suggest that's not so true...and not just for Splenda.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I'll try to simplify his (therefore our) diet to basic induction stuff. It will be hard. He's a picky eater so while he eats what I give him, he wont eat much. He gets very bored eating the same stuff all the time. I don't at all (I eat the same thing for brekky & lunch every weekday) and I don't have the time, energy, or money to prepare elaborate or expensive meals. I still think he's not eating enough.

I do measure everything and will continue to do that. He won't give up diet soda without a fight but I do 99% of the shopping so I can control what is available in the house. I don't have a problem eating 2 carbs from a serving of coconut flour but he really dislikes it so he's only had less than a serving a couple of times. He really likes a fat bomb in the evening so I'm sure he will fight cutting those out.

I'm careful about my carbs and do keep track on an app but it sounds like we have to be much more strict about the type for his sake. I won't log all of his food, he'll just eat what I do. I feel as if I'm doing everything for him but eating the damn food. He said he wasn't interested in using an app. Maybe getting the Bernstein book would help but I'm sure I'd have to read it. I work full time and have 100% of the household/cooking/cleaning as well as the bulk of childcare responsibilities so it isn't like I have all sorts of extra time to read on top of trying to keep the house running. This is highly frustrating. I used to get upset about his picky eating and those issues are now magnified a million percent. It is hard not to take it personally when your husband hates eating the food you planned, bought, made from scratch, and served.

We will see if that all helps. His sugar was lower today pre and post meals so obviously it is working. I read on a few LC diabetic websites that it can take 4-6 weeks for normalized glucose levels on a strict LC diet. He needs to tighten the reins and give it a month.

Thank you everyone for the ideas and info and for "listening" to me. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Fat is your key. I would lower the carbs even further to 20 g and ditch the coconut flour and aspartame. If you need to have diet soda use stevia sweetened one if you can get it,failing that Splenda . Cutting it out would be better altogether. Will he eat fish ? try to eat fish as much as you can . The SAD diet is high in omega 6 oils which are healthy but only if the ratio to omega 3 intake is correct. An imbalance is almost always a cause of not being able to lose weight as teh body is subject to inflammation. Don't be tempted by plant sources of Omega 3 as they always apport a high amount of omega 6 at the same time.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Shannon,
I wish you luck. Hopefully, at some point your husband will start to take responsibility for his diabetes because, in all honesty, until *he* does, it's probably a losing battle.

I hear the frustration you feel and I would be more than happy to help you with the Bernstein info if you like. Just private message me with any questions. I outlined the most important points above.

If you don't want to log his food, then I'd just make his diet straight induction (as you said) which pretty much comes into line with Bernstein regarding the type of vegies and quantities of carbs. The only other thing I would watch is the protein and if you stick to 5 ounces of protein at lunch and at dinner and maybe eggs or eggs and bacon for breakfast, you'll most likely fall right in line there as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
Tell him to hang in there. I'm diabetic and hypothyroid and I can only manage to lose 2-3 pounds a week. It might seem small but its PROGRESS!! And the scale is moving in the right direction. Also don't hang on what the scale says - you can lose inches even if the scale isn't moving.
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
He might want to try Low Carb High Fat I have had really good results with it BS in the normal range and off of Metformin and my blood pressed meds. b
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moonlights
Stats: 204/150/136
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 18/04/2012
This sounds mean but - are you sure he's not cheating at all? I know when my dad tried this diet - even though when I do it he gets jealous of my food - he had difficulty cutting the treats he loved and treated it as you might a low calorie diet - he was good most of the time so 'one or two' cookies at work wouldn't count, or he'd eat a sandwich if he was on the go thinking it would be ok if he was good the rest of the day. Of course this meant the diet didn't work well for him and he felt that was an injustice.

Men just aren't as well trained in how to diet as we are - and most of us slip up at times! But if he's lost 150lb on Atkins before he must know how it worked for him then. That would have taken him a long time so it had to be sustainable. Is he doing the exact same / eating the same way this time?

What are his favourite carb based meals? Can you make low carb versions? For example if he likes certain pastas, make the sauce and have it with zucchini noodles, or cauliflower rice etc?
Moonlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlights View Post
This sounds mean but - are you sure he's not cheating at all? I know when my dad tried this diet - even though when I do it he gets jealous of my food - he had difficulty cutting the treats he loved and treated it as you might a low calorie diet - he was good most of the time so 'one or two' cookies at work wouldn't count, or he'd eat a sandwich if he was on the go thinking it would be ok if he was good the rest of the day. Of course this meant the diet didn't work well for him and he felt that was an injustice.

Men just aren't as well trained in how to diet as we are - and most of us slip up at times! But if he's lost 150lb on Atkins before he must know how it worked for him then. That would have taken him a long time so it had to be sustainable. Is he doing the exact same / eating the same way this time?

What are his favourite carb based meals? Can you make low carb versions? For example if he likes certain pastas, make the sauce and have it with zucchini noodles, or cauliflower rice etc?
It's a valid question. I know he's not cheating because he's just too honest. For some people that might not be a good answer but he is honest with me, soemtimes a bit too honest. I've asked him if he's been cheating and he's said no. Our budget doesn't allow for any spending during the week outside of bills. I balance the checkbook and pay all of the bills. We watch our money like a hawk so if he buys anything or withdraws money, I see it immediately. He works in a small office and once in a while they order lunch for everyone and he gets a chef salad or something legal liek steak & veggies because he brings the leftovers home. So while he might be eating a fat bomb daily or a couple cream cheese muffins...he's not eating much else.

He knows it works but last time he was just a different person. I didn't know him then but he had buddies losing with him and was trying to impress girls. He needs to wrap his head around it this time in a different way. This time it is a choice between a donut now or being at his daughter's wedding in 20 years. He knows this and said he is going to try to focus on lowering his glucose for now and put weight loss on the back burner for a month.

I am trying to make LC versions of his favorite meals. He's a super picky eater though. His dad was a gourmet chef at a frou frou country club so he grew up eating very, very well. He's always been very unimpressed with my cooking and now he's unimpressed AND eating unsatisfying versions of his favorites. When we discuss meal planning, he won't even give me input as to what he'd like to try. It's a total PITA discussing food with him and I hate it. He did ask me to try making LC mozerella sticks this weekend. We shall see how that goes. But that's all he's offered in 2 weeks.

I've gone back to strict induction with all meals but I can't force him to eat. He refused dinner last night. Refused brekky this morning. My four year old doesn't fight me as much as he does! So today, he'll have coffee around 10 and then a tiny bit of salad for lunch. I'll make bunless burgers for dinner and he'll eat 2 bites. I'll name 5 things I can make for him and he declines all of them. Then he'll be starving and eat an ounce of walnuts, a fat bomb, and he's done. It's not enough calories, not enough fat, and not enough of a "food is nutrition" mindset. His eating is terribly disordered. This is 10% a diabetic problem and 90% a mind problem I think. I suggested a therapist or a shrink and he balked at the idea but that's what he needs.

Yeah. So there it is. I really appreciate everyone's input and being able to work through this. You all rock!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Shannon,
I wish you luck. Hopefully, at some point your husband will start to take responsibility for his diabetes because, in all honesty, until *he* does, it's probably a losing battle.

I hear the frustration you feel and I would be more than happy to help you with the Bernstein info if you like. Just private message me with any questions. I outlined the most important points above.

If you don't want to log his food, then I'd just make his diet straight induction (as you said) which pretty much comes into line with Bernstein regarding the type of vegies and quantities of carbs. The only other thing I would watch is the protein and if you stick to 5 ounces of protein at lunch and at dinner and maybe eggs or eggs and bacon for breakfast, you'll most likely fall right in line there as well.
Thank you. I'm going to look for the Bernstein book this weekend.

My mother in law - who watched her husband have 2 heart attacks, lose his legs, his sight, and die a horrible diabetic death - told me in tears that she wished she had tried more to encourage him to stop eating sugar. She carries a lot of guilt over his death which of course she doesn't need to, but she still feels acutely.

And come hell or high water, I am determined to do everything I can to keep from becoming a widow at 57. I'd rather my marriage suffer and have my husband hate me than watch my husband kill himself with sugar.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
He needs to be exercising, this would really help with the weight loss and the lack of sleep is not helping also, shoot for a minimum of 7 hrs. On the food side, IMO, he could eat alot cleaner for example;

Breakfast: egg white omlette w/ salsa & veggies and water

snack; almonds & water

Lunch: chicken salad and water

snack : almonds/ water

Dinner: a meat combined with choice of salad or veggies and water

Notes; organic food would be preferable also supplement with plenty of fish oil can be helpful and the exercise should include weights and cardio each day.

Good Luck

- Charles Kingsley
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

You're right, he really does need to do some sort of excercise and sleep more. Both will help to lower his blood sugar and that's what our focus is right now. Once his sugar is lower, he will start losing weight.

He stopped taking fish oil because of the strong links to it causing a higher incidence of prostrate cancer. It runs in his family so he doesn't want to take any chances.

Yeah, he needs to eat cleaner - which we are doing - but needs way more fat and calories than an egg white omlette and salsa will provide for a 375 pound man. But thank you for your input! I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Have to say on the exercise front...it didn't do squat for lower my blood sugar in the long run because I'd have these horrible crashes that would send me running straight for the carbs. If he wants to exercise, great...just don't overdo it. If he doesn't want to, I wouldn't push it because changing his diet (a la Bernstein particularly) will do it much more quickly and effectively than exercise will.

I did not exercise at all (still don't, pretty much, although I have a more active lifestyle) while losing weight and still got off all meds and lowered my BG from over 300 to under 100 in about 2.5-3 months.

Lack of sleep has a very dramatic affect on BG's. If I get at least a solid 5 hours of sleep, my BG's stay normal. If I have a restless night where I'm up every hour or two and never get into that REM sleep, the next day my BG will run about 10-15 points higher. Pain will do the same thing.

Skip the egg white omelet and eat the whole egg. Eggs and fat are not the enemy. Skip the salsa. Tomatoes are too high in carbs.

Well, on the plus side of him not eating, he'll lose weight which in turn will help with his diabetes.

You're a much more patient person than I am. If my husband said he didn't like how/what I cooked, I'd go get a frying pan (resisting the desire to beat him over the head with it), hand it to him and tell him there is a solution to his food dilemma...he can make it himself.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Have to say on the exercise front...it didn't do squat for lower my blood sugar in the long run because I'd have these horrible crashes that would send me running straight for the carbs. If he wants to exercise, great...just don't overdo it. If he doesn't want to, I wouldn't push it because changing his diet (a la Bernstein particularly) will do it much more quickly and effectively than exercise will.

I did not exercise at all (still don't, pretty much, although I have a more active lifestyle) while losing weight and still got off all meds and lowered my BG from over 300 to under 100 in about 2.5-3 months.

Lack of sleep has a very dramatic affect on BG's. If I get at least a solid 5 hours of sleep, my BG's stay normal. If I have a restless night where I'm up every hour or two and never get into that REM sleep, the next day my BG will run about 10-15 points higher. Pain will do the same thing.

Skip the egg white omelet and eat the whole egg. Eggs and fat are not the enemy. Skip the salsa. Tomatoes are too high in carbs.

Well, on the plus side of him not eating, he'll lose weight which in turn will help with his diabetes.

You're a much more patient person than I am. If my husband said he didn't like how/what I cooked, I'd go get a frying pan (resisting the desire to beat him over the head with it), hand it to him and tell him there is a solution to his food dilemma...he can make it himself.
Good point about the excercise! It has helped him a bit in the past but being heavy makes it hard to want to get up and move. It will be easier to change his diet than get him excercising while he's so heavy. He enjoys some sports and has said he wants to lose weight so he can participate in them again. He doesn't get nearly enough sleep and he knows it needs to improve.

I am only patient because of our daughter! Most nights I want to knock him upside the head with the frying pan! DD deserves to have her Daddy around for a long time. I'm not making carbage for myself or for my family anymore so he will have to get on board or starve. His choice. I am doing everything I can to make it easy for him but I can't chew the food and digest it for him.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
I am only patient because of our daughter! Most nights I want to knock him upside the head with the frying pan! DD deserves to have her Daddy around for a long time. I'm not making carbage for myself or for my family anymore so he will have to get on board or starve. His choice. I am doing everything I can to make it easy for him but I can't chew the food and digest it for him.
Yay for you--you have your feet solidly on the ground and a great attitude!

He may come around when he starts to feel better and have some weight loss success. Meanwhile, just keep on keeping on, and vent as you need to, that's what we're here for.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I am very carb sensitive. He's trying but he's not on induction. If I go above induction I stall or gain. Why bother? Because Atkins strict 1972 plan is the only thing that works for me. Net carbs? Forget about it. Doesn't work for me.
Now, my MS has progressed so meaningful exercise is not possible. Really tough to do it by Way Of Eating alone.
If he'll eat what you prepare, focus on blood sugar while gradually trimming the remaining carbs. Include a reasonable amount of fats... butter, oils... they kill hunger.

I bought the 'Improved Atkins' & foolishly let my original 1972 copy go... had to go buy a used copy on line... though much of it is repeated on this forum. For me, it's a 'meat & salad diet... sausage or bacon & a couple of eggs for breakfast, lunch a meat & salad (rotisiary chicken added to a green salad) or tuna over lettuce, or a McD bacon cheese burger with no bun, no catsup (loaded with sugar), diet coke. Dinner is meat & salad. I have between 8-9 oz of whatever meat is on sale. I need to weigh portion size as a check.
Don't fret diet soda in reasonable quantities. I use diet lemonade mix w/ Splenda or make my own lemonade from juice, water, Splenda.

The first week always has a big number but it's not real weight loss. After that 1-2 # a week is a good rate. It might be more at first but later the program may need adjusting after the easy weight is done. If a week goes by with no change, I do a food diary to see what's slipping in.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeebear57
Stats: 214/192/136
WOE: LC/JUUDD
Start Date: restart 10/1/2013
I agree about the AS..the endocrinoligist told my diabetic husband not to put aNY nutrisweet(aspartme) in his mouth..i get unsweetened kool aid packs and use Stevia bulk for him...also finding good low carb snacks super important esp..for DH's..deviled eggs,pork skins with LC dips,pepperoni chips,Good luck
coffeebear57 is offline   Reply With Quote