Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   which cocoa powder has highest fat? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816215-cocoa-powder-has-highest-fat.html)

lowcarbella 10-30-2013 05:51 AM

which cocoa powder has highest fat?

which brand cocoa powder would have the highest amount of fat and lowest carbs? Possibly organic too.

I have used Hersheys,Godiva and Ghirardelli.Seems they strip them of all nutrients and de-fat them.
Looked at some cacao powders,but they are too high in carbs.
thanks in advance.

lterry913 10-30-2013 08:42 AM

If cocoa powders had fat in them they would be solid chocolate like the bakers chocolate...it is powdered because of the absence of fat. So if you want more fat you have to add it by using some sort of oil. butter, cream etc.
Hope this helps.
Do the higher carb powders have sugar added? most cocoapowder is pretty low carb for the amount you use...and minus fiber makes them lower.
Cocoa is mostly fiber and allowed on induction.

Are you asking about powdered cocoa drink mixes for hot chocolate etc? those are usually higher carb due to powdered milk and sweetener fillers.

Mistizoom 10-30-2013 08:50 AM

I think by definition cocoa powder is low fat. It is what's left after the cocoa butter taken out, which is the fat.

lowcarbella 10-30-2013 09:31 AM

oh ,I didn't know that cocoa powder had the the butter taken out.no wonder fat is low.I use them occasionally and was looking to make some fat bombs,but maybe cocoa butter is what I am looking for

Mistizoom 10-30-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbella (Post 16663923)
oh ,I didn't know that cocoa powder had the the butter taken out.no wonder fat is low.I use them occasionally and was looking to make some fat bombs,but maybe cocoa butter is what I am looking for

Well, you can use cocoa powder in fat bombs for flavor, but it's not the source of the fat. For that you can use butter, coconut oil, or cocoa butter might be good too, also nut butters and cream cheese are commonly used. In the ones I make frequently I use unsweetened chocolate, peanut butter, coconut oil, and butter along with a little sweetener.

snowangel9 10-30-2013 12:16 PM

So, really you want the lowest carb cocoa. I have some Dagoba, organic. Got it at whole foods. It's 3 carbs per Tbs, with 2 grams of fiber. We use it in out fat bombs. But cocoa butter sounds good.. I don't think I've seen it though. Where would it be?

MargD 10-30-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16664158)
So, really you want the lowest carb cocoa. I have some Dagoba, organic. Got it at whole foods. It's 3 carbs per Tbs, with 2 grams of fiber. We use it in out fat bombs. But cocoa butter sounds good.. I don't think I've seen it though. Where would it be?

I needed cocoa butter for a recipe I made over the summer. I found it at a local health food store.

snowangel9 10-30-2013 12:58 PM

Cool, I'm heading to whole foods later, maybe they'll have it? Sounds like it would totally work in fat bombs...

lowcarbella 10-30-2013 02:57 PM

haven't seen cocoa butter in stores or Whole foods.But I was reading a blog where a lady mentioned highfat cocoa powder.She didn't mention the brand and now I don't havethe link anymore.

I want something that is easy as powder but with fat.I do buy dark choclate with high fat,will that be good if I subbed?Someone mentioned making your own pwdered cacao powder from cacao nibs.Not sure if that is too much work.

I just wanted a handy powder that I can mix easily and hflc.