Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   For those who have read Grain Brain (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816173-those-who-have-read-grain-brain.html)

lclover 10-29-2013 08:19 AM

For those who have read Grain Brain

Hey y'all, I am wondering how much, if at all, Dr. Perlmutter explains the effect of carbs on mental illness, specifically bipolar. I read in reviews that the book does cover mental illness, but before I purchase it I am wondering to what extent. Thanks in advance for your replies!

oohpujie 10-29-2013 08:56 AM

I have not yet read the book, but my boyfriend (also a LC-er, although at a normal weight) is currently reading it. (I am waiting patiently for him to finish and in the mean time, reading Fat Chance by Dr. Robert Lustig, which is a great read so far!). He is about 30% in (on a kindle), and has already mentioned some snippets about mental illness, along with migraines etc.

I do, however, have some anecdotal knowledge. I am a child abuse survivor, and have thus been fortunate enough to have borderline personality disorder, which is a bit like BP. While I do take an antidepressant and an anti-anxiety pill, my symptoms are SO much more manageable while I am actively low-carbing/in ketosis. I feel much more in tune with my emotions, less depressed, less "binge"y (alcohol/drugs/food), and more energetic. It helps me tremendously, and I think my boyfriend would also concur with this.

lclover 10-29-2013 10:04 AM

Oh wow, thanks for your input oohpujie. I've read some info on low carb helping with mental illness, but I was on meds before going low carb so I don't really know how much the low carb is helping and how much is from the meds. I'm very unhappy with the zombie-like, emotionless state the meds have put me in so I'm slowly weaning off of them with a doctor's guidance. I'm really hoping that I will have the same response as you've had to ketosis and also hoping my moods can be managed by that alone. :aprayer:

luvmybabyhead 10-29-2013 10:54 AM

I've got BP II. I have problems when I take certain meds too. The side effects can suck worse than the illness. Can I ask what you're on? I've been on lamictal for 9 years and it works pretty well with few side effects. Now with LC added in, I feel better than I ever have. Honestly LC has made a huge difference in my mental health, second only to getting the initial diagnosis.

lclover 10-29-2013 11:06 AM

Hey Shannon, I was diagnosed about a year ago with BP. I have finished weaning off of lithium, being off of which has greatly improved the cognitive effects and anxiety I was experiencing. I'm currently being weaned off of Geodon. I, too, am on Lamictal, and while I do believe it has helped me, there is one very undesirable side effect I've experienced, which is lack of libido. Sorry if TMI. Lastly, I'm on Celexa (actually the generic citalopram), which was prescribed to treat the anxiety that the other meds were causing. I decided I'd had enough when the doc prescribed me a new med to treat side effects caused by other meds. Now I just want my emotions back, and I don't think there's a pill for that.

oohpujie 10-29-2013 11:27 AM

Are you taking a combination of meds? I have heard good things about taking wellbutrin in conjunction with other meds. I personally am on Cymbalta, and I also take Buspar 3x a day for anxiety management.

This has proved to work for me, but again, my mood swings are very environment dependent and VERY trigger-able, whereas for bipolar, I believe it is less so. Anything that triggers me less is fantastic for me. Ketosis allows me to control my appetite and my binges, and thus keeps me from experiencing self hatred and self-esteem issues. It keeps me full longer, thus keeping me from triggering hunger related anger.

luvmybabyhead 10-29-2013 12:53 PM

Unfortunately, most people with BP disorder can't take any sort of antidepressant like Wellbutrin or the like. It can trigger mania or, in those with BP II, hypomania. The risk of suicide goes up dramatically when someone with BP takes antidepressants too. Anti-psychotics and anti-epileptics are usually the best course of treatment but the side effects can be awful.

I hear you on the lack of libido and the lamictal. LC has helped me tremendously with that issue! It took about 6 weeks but it has made a huge difference for me.

At one time I was on 3 medications for my mental health, and 2 to treat side effects of the other stuff. :stars: It sucked. I felt like a walking medicine cabinet. Going LC has not only evened me out but has made all but the one drug necessary. Good luck to you!

bettycooker 10-30-2013 04:07 AM

Dr. Perlmutter the author of Grain Brain was on the Dr. Oz show last week. You can see what he has to say on the video from the Dr. Oz website. Read Grain Brain. Dr. Permutter stresses how wheat causes inflammation in our brain.

lclover 10-30-2013 05:23 AM

Thanks bettycooker, I'll check it out!

Josh1234 10-31-2013 04:01 PM

I have heard it said the dementia and Alzheimer's are linked to diabetes.

Mistizoom 10-31-2013 04:54 PM

Here are some quotes from Grain Brain:

Quote:

We can even make a case for linking gluten senstitivty with some of the most mysterious brain disorders that have eluded doctors for millenia, such as schizophrenia, epilepsy, depression, bipolar disorder, and , more recently, autism and ADHD.
Quote:

We know there is no magic-bullet cure for autism, just as there isn't for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. These brain maladies are uniquely different, but they all share one underlying characteristic: inflammation, some of which coudl simply be the result of sensitivity to dietary choices.
Quote:

The relationship [with low cholesterol] is also well documented in the field of bipolar disorder. Those with bipolar are much more likely to attempt suicide if they have low cholesterol.

sensualappeal 10-31-2013 05:59 PM

Yes I have read it and posted about it on my blog. I'm just in the first week of it and kind of failed already but I haven't failed in the gluten free part (except for dinner tonight, we had ethipian for my friend's birthday). But yeah, he does go into a good amount of detail about gluten and mental illness. It's a good read. I recommend it.