Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   How about following Atkins sample menu to a T? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816160-how-about-following-atkins-sample-menu-t.html)

Whyohwh 10-29-2013 06:42 AM

How about following Atkins sample menu to a T?

Has anyone tried to follow those sample menus in the book or on the internet? Results, no results?

I've been using the list of foods that are allowed, but never tried using a menu plan.

I've been on low carb/Atkins for 8 months, only a few pounds to lose when I started, but ended up gaining a few.

snowangel9 10-29-2013 10:45 AM

Those, in the old book, never looked that great to me. I don't eat sea food so I am always adjusting menus to what I will...

MsWoods 10-29-2013 11:59 AM

I wouldn't.

The atkins meal plans have a lot of the bars/shakes/frozen meals in them. I couldn't lose if I ate the bars at all, so I highly doubt I would lose eating all that other crap.

I keep my carbs as low as possible.

If you gave us some sample menus of what you are eating, that really can help us determine why you are not losing/gaining.

Arctic_Mama 10-29-2013 03:20 PM

The menus in the 2002 DANDR look pretty good, except the recipes that use the soy baking mix. Plenty of people have followed menus and lost weight, but for me it is more sustainable to do this for life when I find out what *I* like! that allows me to maintain or lose. Plus, the calories of many of those menus are a bit high for me to lose on, as I'm highly weight reduced and have been for several years. So instead of tweaking, I just follow the rules of the plan and make foods I like (coffee/eggs for breakfast, sardines/cheese/salad/almonds/chocolate for lunch, tea/steak/green beans/jicama/blueberries for dinner, etc). That, plus logging my food quantities and watching both calories and carbs, has worked thus far. The stumbling block for me is that nursing gives me an appetite and it makes losing challenging.

Janknitz 10-29-2013 03:58 PM

I guess I'm too picky to follow someone else's meal plan. I would do OK with a bunch of choices for each meal from a limited selection, but not "eat this now".

OTOH, when I'm feeling sorry for my poor little low carb self (can't have cake, can't have cookies, can't have noodles, boo hoo!) one of my "tricks" is to indulge myself low carb. I can have eggs and veggies cooked in a ton of butter. I can eat a slice of butter like other people eat cheese, I can eat the fat off my steak, I can eat a whole handful of macadamia nuts. Again, that's not a time I would want someone else dictating what I can eat. My problem with obesity was never about overeating, it was always about overeating carbs. So I the last thing I want to do is limit and constrain myself to someone else's menu. It needs to work for me for the long run.

84k 10-30-2013 05:44 AM

I always thought the samples in DANDR looked too protein heavy with not enough fat.

Whyohwh 11-02-2013 05:26 PM

I just calculated a day with an online tracker, using Atkins menu as a guide. Wow. If I followed a typical menu, replacing the Atkins bars by unsweetened chocolate + butter, I would be at around 1300 calories a day. I'm now averaging way more than that...

I thought that if the calories were too low, I would go in starvation mode. Looks like I might have to!

Oh well, I'll give it a shot and see how long I'll be able to survive!