Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dianthus
The Morning After...

What do you do the morning after a slipup? I've been lowcarbing for 4 months and slowly losing and feeling really good. I'm committed to a low carb lifestyle for my health. I read these boards a lot, even though I rarely post. Yesterday I slipped up royally. It was my anniversary, and I was alone. Kind of mad at hubby for silly things, but we're in the process of moving and need to temporarily maintain 2 houses. I had all the makings of an excellent low carb meal, but I chose to eat some snacky foods I had in the house for my son. Stuff I never eat and don't really like. It didn't taste good, and my stomach was upset all night. I'm drinking coffee now and thinking I will be back on plan today with eggs, steak, salad and lots of water. (The meal I would have had last night plus wine. ) Any good tips for keeping me out of trouble? I worry because I am at the point where, in the past, I have let a vacation indulgence take over and ended up going completely off the rails.
dianthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Just get back on plan, you know it wasn't right, it didn't feel good, it didn't taste good, just get back to normal and not worry about it.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Yep, put it all in the past and get back on plan. Kicking yourself will achieve nothing.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Your slip-up doesn't matter, it's over. Get right back on plan, today. Be very strict with yourself. Any weight gain will be water only, ignore it and stay on plan.

Sorry your anniversary was so bad.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Strange how we can get stuck on a few items of extra food. The guilt! The self-loathing! The fear of it happening again!
All that for a few extra snacks.
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Your slip-up will not matter one bit if you get back on plan. It will matter a whole lot if you don't. At least this is what I've learned. I'm not perfect and I have slip-ups, but I usually remain in my goal range if I just keep going. No "starting over," just keep going.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dianthus
It's not an unreasonable fear when you have gone down this path before. The carb indulgences can easily lead to cravings that can keep me going back for more carbs. A lot of the success of the low carb lifestyle (for me) is the mental strength I have when free of carbs. I believe this is a physiological effect. I see things more clearly when I keep carbs low. I plan to be super vigilant the next few days to prevent more backsliding. Thanks for your input. My anniversary wasn't that bad--just lonely. Saw hubby in the morning, but travelled with two dogs in the car all day.
dianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Nope, not unreasonable at all. But you have the knowledge of what happens when you backslide - and you have the clarity and mental strength to apply that knowledge. One night of carbs won't take that away.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianthus View Post
A lot of the success of the low carb lifestyle (for me) is the mental strength I have when free of carbs.
Thanks for that one. So true.
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I hear you, i had a run in with the Halloween candy last night After fighting it all day, and staying on plan, it was the devil on my shoulder and I gave in at night.
Ugh, I know what it tastes like, I don't need it, and sugar pretty quickly puts me in a coma
So moving right along, back on plan today, live and learn, for the 1,000 time
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I think you learned something important. When you are feeling down, you want to turn to what you think well comfort you. Hopefully, next time, you'll recognize that, realize it won't last forever and take a walk or a bath or some other distraction. Because, those feelings will pass...
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winefairy
WOE: LC/JUDDD
I'm doing my walk of shame today after a 4 day trip to Vegas where I proceeded to eat & drink EVERYTHING. I was completely out of control but am back on track today.

All we can do is learn from it and jump right back on the wagon.
winefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I just posted about this a day or three ago - the way I've lost weight and kept it off is through failure. I fail at my plan all the time - eat too much, have extra cheese, chocolate, whatever. I've slipped up more times than I can easily count even in just the last few months.

But I managed to 'fail' off 100 pounds, and keep it off with very little fluctuation through two pregnancies, stress, and numerous dietary slip ups.

The key? It isn't 'never failing', that's for sure! The secret is to never, EVER give up. Never throw in the towel. Never quit. Never assume that because you popped one tire that it makes sense to slash the other three. Never give yourself permission to indulge, because hey, the day's shot, right?

When the horse throws you off, you get right back on. Not a day later or on a Monday. Not after the next major holiday. The VERY next choice is yours to make, and no past decisions have any bearing on your success or failure in that moment. The very next choice is yours, under your complete control, and you can make it a good, health promoting one. We build these journeys by each choice we make. We don't have the future, we can't change the past. But this very moment, that's OURS. A refusal to give that up to neuroticism, punishment, failure, or the enemy-of-the-good, that's up to you.

How do you lose weight and maintain that loss? Not through perfection, but through grit determination. Stubbornness. *Persistence*. If you never quit, you cannot fail. It's all just part of the process.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bobbinb
Stats: 250 / 240/165
WOE: atkins
Start Date: october 2013
Just allow yourself the slip and get back on track. As long as its not two in a row you are usually fine. If I eat 2 days in a row bad food im out of control.
bobbinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
Like everyone else said...just jump back on track! 99% of my cheats, yes, cheats plural, over the last 7 months have been planned and 100% of the time I jumped back on ... Yea !
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
I just posted about this a day or three ago - the way I've lost weight and kept it off is through failure. I fail at my plan all the time - eat too much, have extra cheese, chocolate, whatever. I've slipped up more times than I can easily count even in just the last few months.

But I managed to 'fail' off 100 pounds, and keep it off with very little fluctuation through two pregnancies, stress, and numerous dietary slip ups.

The key? It isn't 'never failing', that's for sure! The secret is to never, EVER give up. Never throw in the towel. Never quit. Never assume that because you popped one tire that it makes sense to slash the other three. Never give yourself permission to indulge, because hey, the day's shot, right?

When the horse throws you off, you get right back on. Not a day later or on a Monday. Not after the next major holiday. The VERY next choice is yours to make, and no past decisions have any bearing on your success or failure in that moment. The very next choice is yours, under your complete control, and you can make it a good, health promoting one. We build these journeys by each choice we make. We don't have the future, we can't change the past. But this very moment, that's OURS. A refusal to give that up to neuroticism, punishment, failure, or the enemy-of-the-good, that's up to you.

How do you lose weight and maintain that loss? Not through perfection, but through grit determination. Stubbornness. *Persistence*. If you never quit, you cannot fail. It's all just part of the process.
Love this! What wonderful, insightful words, Arctic Mama!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
Yeah, just today I learned what the phrase sunk costs means. For those who may not know, in the financial world it means what something cost in the past should not influence future decisions. As in, if you paid 300K for an asset, and it's now worth 200K, you should not try to wait to sell it so you "won't lose" 100K. You already lost it and the correct financial decision is whether you would buy that asset today for 200K. If yes, keep it. If no, sell it and invest elsewhere. Anyway, that's the theory as I understand it. So, I think we should look at those extra calories as a sunk cost, move forward without dwelling on the past. We may have to be mindful about cravings and we may gain a little water weight or real weight, but we can soldier on, eyes on the future.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
you have two choices:

1. get back on plan

2. go off plan again

I vote for #1
Jennyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I let a slip up take me completely off the rails... this latest time. I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to get serious about myself & get back on track.
It's ok to beat yourself up a little... then get back on plan as quickly as possible. Go back on induction for a meal or 2 or until you're sure you are past the cravings. Slip ups will happen... it's how we handle them that counts.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: time2change
Stats: 5'2 172/hoping for 110
WOE: JUDDD ???
Start Date: April 2014
It sucks that we have to stress over eating something. Its not a drug, its not illegal. Don't beat yourself up. Just forget it happened and go back to what you were doing. Its that guilt that makes it worse. I do the same thing. Not anymore. Its too bad at least you didn't even enjoy it. You are doing great and will continue to do so.
time2change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Never assume that because you popped one tire that it makes sense to slash the other three.

Wow, Arctic Mama--those are "nail on the head" quotes to me!

Personally, on a very limited basis, I take a day or two and allow myself to eat carbier food--for unusual or very special occasions. I don't feel guilty, but eating carbier foods absolutely reminds me why I've changed my diet in the first place and I find myself anxious to get back in line.

Just like a planned "break" will not wreck my health or weight loss efforts, an unintentional slip-up will not either. And it won't wreck yours either. Forgive yourself, recognize that there's really nothing to forgive in the first place, and make a better food choice next time. Using the imagery provided by Arctic Mama, just change the flat tire and head on down the road! The journey might take a few days longer, but you'll still get there!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Never assume that because you popped one tire that it makes sense to slash the other three.
LOVE this analogy!

Thanks Arctic Mama!

Last edited by kjwalsh; 11-02-2013 at 12:10 AM..
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I know some who take a regular day off or special occasions. It doesn't work for me. I am very carb sensitive & I need to accept that. It's just too easy to cause a train wreck for me.
However, there will be occasions (NOT days) when I have to make the best choice from a limited menu. I try to avoid menus with NO LC options. This is the real world & WOE rather than a 'diet' to be discontinued when the goal is reached.
The late Dr Atkins admitted going off plan occasionally... and going right back on... no one here on Earth is perfect.
It's ok to feel bad about a bad choice but then we need to forgive ourselves & get back on plan. To wallow in it endlessly, just invites a 'failure' attitude... and moving away from the plan, rather than back toward it.
If you really can't follow the plan... maybe there's some other plan that will work for you? But don't pretend.

I love the inspiring words of everybody here. It has helped me through the first 4 days.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:

This is excellent advice, and the mind-set that has finally allowed me to break out of my rut and start losing again.

You won't need as much mental fortitude if you decide that it was a few snacks, it's over now, and you're not going to give energy to it. I had a slip last night as well, so I have a great LC day planned and I'm "detoxing" with a giant mug of water with ginger and lemon. I won't give it another thought.

YMMV, but the "just one bite is doom" mentality was a binge-trigger for me.

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #25
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
Strange how we can get stuck on a few items of extra food. The guilt! The self-loathing! The fear of it happening again!
All that for a few extra snacks.
Move past all this! Today is another day, fresh and new!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

It's not a few bites of "Extra" food... At least for me, carbs or sweets... I literally feel the effect before it has reached my stomach. I think the mouth enzymes change.

I was hanging on to Orange Spice tea... mostly sweetened with Splenda... but a half teaspoon of honey. Later that night, I could feel the different mouth enzymes looking for the sugars... a slight case of craving. I ate a boiled egg & moved on... But I am listening to my body speaking to me. I need to cut the honey to get rid of the craving. I am still losing the induction pounds...

I don't care what the package says. If it triggers cravings FOR ME, I need to cut it out. Anything that I eat in the car, that doesn't make it home. Anything I have hidden the packages of... I just need to cut out.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Quote:

I love your post you hit the nail on the head
None of us are perfect or we wouldn't have these struggles
For me, the weekends are my weak times, but I'm staying in control, well mostly
So, Keep Calm and Carry On
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
We all fail and fall off the plan. Just get back on the horse. If there is a special event coming up and I know that LC will be a problem, I plan on being very careful with carb consumption for a day before and a day after. Better to fall off as part of a plan that I can control.
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Quote:

I also love this post and have read it on your blog Arctic Mama. In fact I was just telling someone about it and here I find it posted. Wonderful advice and just makes me feel so much better and able to get into a positive frame of mind after a slip.

I think the most important thing is don't weigh yourself the morning after because there will be water weight. Follow Arctic Mama's sound advice and get back on track. It takes me two days to get back on track and then I have the courage to weigh myself and am always back to normal or even below. One day won't harm your weight loss as long as you get back on that horse now.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
What artic mama said! For some people they use slip ups as a learning experience and others as a part of their eating plan. Eating an off plan meal has as much power in your woe as you let it.

That being said, I think guilt initially is a natural part of the process in eventually making peace with all foods whether yiu choose to eat them or not. When starting out "guilt" is kind of a constant deterient. It feels bad and you avoid the guilt. Over time, many people are able to overcome the guilt and choose to eat off plan foods for enjoyment or not eat them for their own personal reasons.

So please don't feel guilty for feeling guilty! That is totally useless!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote