Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
My ideal Carb Plan in the future.

Which one is this that I want to follow later? Kind of a geeky question but I'd like to know which Plan has the following later after I lose a lot of this weight on Atkins Induction...

Proteins... All meats, eggs,cheese
Fruits
Nuts
Milk
Salads
Veggies
Starchy veggies ie corn, potatoes,sweet potatoes,winter squash
No bread or bread products
Butter, olive oil, nut oils,avocado
Nuts but a controlled amount
Thank you!
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
I don't really follow your question...but as you move forward with Atkins all of that can be re-introduced as you determine what your body does well on and what causes it to gain weight.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Sounds like Atkins to me. Move up the carb ladder. I allow myself all of that except corn. Fruit I limit to berries.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
depends a lot on your body and mind!

a lot of us find to our dismay that we really can't eat more than 20 grams of net carbs a day without regaining. but these people often also loosen up to include nuts.

you may be one of the lucky ones who can go all the way up your list there and be ok, as long as the quantities are controlled. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
My eating plan includes what you are describing except for cheese. If I leave dairy in my plan I weigh at the high end of normal and that is not my preference. I also experience more urges to over eat. Since my blood sugar runs a bit high I also have to limit my carbs to no more than 50g or so a day and my fruit and starch are very limited too...at most 1/4 c at a time and only once a day. If I'm careful and eat consistent amounts it's all good.

I am over 60 and hypothyroid and have blood sugar issues but have discovered what my limits are. Yours may be less rigid. Or more. Our bodies are all different.

The Atkins rungs sound like what you want. Or low carb paleo.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all very much for your responses to my post. I was thinking last night about the future and what kind of foods would be nice that I could eat and maintain my weight.
I turn 55!yrs. old in Jan. so I am hopeful that I will be yet in a size lower than I am now but also looking ahead what I'd like my menus to include though just want to say this is a list and not what I would be eating everyday. I know that I have to figure out with my Atkins Counselor how many net carbs in a day will maintain my weight.
I am Hypothyroid and also have metabolic syndrome. My blood sugar 1 hr after eating Dinner was 125. That's good for anybody so Atkins has gotten me jacked out of that mess.
Even with these medical issues my body weight has gone down which is sensational.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
You might think you want to add all these back but as I have gotten closer to maintenance I have tried adding things back in and they just don't taste the same. I had a glass of milk the other day and I was a big milk drinker before Atkins...it tasted and smelled bad to me and I know it wasn't because I had my family check. After a while I think our taste bud justget adapted to certain things. I really don't miss the milk and I have found I don't really miss some of the things that went with it. I hope you find your ideal woe once you getto maimtenance.
My brother does Primal eating and what you descibed sounds like it could fit in with that, although he eats his dairy as un processed as possible...lives in Calif and goes to the farm to get milk and butter.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for your feedback!
I guess I have to try the list out later as I discover how many carbs I need in a day to maintain my weight in the future at goal.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
You're essentially describing the Paleo diet, as long as you choose QUALITY REAL foods (organic, grass fed, pastured animals--no manufactured products). Paleo doesn't really permit dairy, but a lot of people do eat dairy anyway, sometimes considered "primal" rather than "paleo". The only thing not really done on paleo on your list is corn, because almost all corn in this country is GMO (GMO means it was genetically modified to be resistant to pesticides, so when you eat GMO foods, you are getting a dose of pesticides with them).

What I like best about Paleo (besides the healthy food sourcing) is that it's not per se a weight loss "diet" (though many do lose weight on it), it's considered a way of life from the beginning point and forward. It's doable for life.

Paleo is not necessarily low carb, but it can be done low carb quite easily.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
You're essentially describing the Paleo diet, as long as you choose QUALITY REAL foods (organic, grass fed, pastured animals--no manufactured products). Paleo doesn't really permit dairy, but a lot of people do eat dairy anyway, sometimes considered "primal" rather than "paleo". The only thing not really done on paleo on your list is corn, because almost all corn in this country is GMO (GMO means it was genetically modified to be resistant to pesticides, so when you eat GMO foods, you are getting a dose of pesticides with them).

What I like best about Paleo (besides the healthy food sourcing) is that it's not per se a weight loss "diet" (though many do lose weight on it), it's considered a way of life from the beginning point and forward. It's doable for life.

Paleo is not necessarily low carb, but it can be done low carb quite easily.

Last edited by lterry913; 10-30-2013 at 08:04 AM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseChef View Post
also have metabolic syndrome. My blood sugar 1 hr after eating Dinner was 125. That's good for anybody so Atkins has gotten me jacked out of that mess.
What is more important than the BG number after meals, is your A1c. That says what your BG is averaging over the previous 3 months. With an after meal BG of 125, you may very well be consistently running above an A1c of 5 and every point above 5 puts you at a 20% risk of a cardiovascular event.

One of the things I thought was interesting about the medical communities view of diabetes and diabetics is their belief that once someone shows signs of increased BG's, it will only be a matter of time, even with exercise and diet, before they are on meds and that the meds will increase as the years go by. Understandable when you look at the *acceptable* diet of 140gm of carbs recommended by the ADA.

My sister has had blood sugars between 110-125 for over a decade but until she hit the magic number of 126, her doctors kept telling her she was not a diabetic...despite the fact that her father (my step-father) is an uncontrolled diabetic who followed the ADA's diet to the letter, exercised regularly and controlled his weight for the last 40 years...with his diabetes just getting worse and worse...and the doctors accusing him of lying about his diet and exercise.

So now magically, she's a diabetic. Fortunately, she's following Bernstein (for the most part...still has little lapses) rather than the ADA so her BG's have dropped under 100 rather rapidly. Her doctor is amazed.

I would recommend getting Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" because if you're already have BG's above 100, particularly if you go back to eating fruits, grains, etc., I think over time you'll find that your BG's go right back up.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote