Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Triglycerides and Adrenal Failure

ok, so I have just found out I have stage 4 adrenal failure DH just got his yearly physical and his triglycerides are 598!!!!

I am wondering if there is a particular plan that may benefit both of us. Keep in mind we have 4 kids that will be doing this as well. I am thinking maybe wheat belly or something along those lines? But I am open for all suggestions!

TIA,
Wendy
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
How have the two of you been eating? I've done very well with Atkins.

I also recommend reading the blog of Michael Eades, author of Protein Power.

Last edited by Emily-D; 10-27-2013 at 08:13 PM..
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

trying to cut out processed foods and sugar. One of the triplets was just diagnosed with a wheat allergy so we have been cutting that down majorly as well. I just want some guide lines to follow. I have a lot of food that I cant just toss out, but I am not replacing the junk ya know?

I will check out all the different atkins as well. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
Did you get these problems from eating low carb/high protein?
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Jenn - no I don't believe so. I know for sure DH has never done low carb. Do you know of a correlation to adrenal failure and lc/high protein?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
No, I haven't heard of a correlation in fact I thought it was supposed to make things better... that's why I got curious about your situation. I don't know much about adrenal failure or tryglecerides but I hope you guys find a plan you like that will help you both. <3
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me - WENDALINA View Post
ok, so I have just found out I have stage 4 adrenal failure DH just got his yearly physical and his triglycerides are 598!!!!

I am wondering if there is a particular plan that may benefit both of us. Keep in mind we have 4 kids that will be doing this as well. I am thinking maybe wheat belly or something along those lines? But I am open for all suggestions!

TIA,
Wendy
depending how strict you want to go I'd try Atkins belly fat cure carb addicts or maybe dukan
krissakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
My family uses Atkins Induction 72 plan. Basically because I use it and am the one who cooks. We have eliminated all sugars including AS, and all breads, pastas, potatoes, rice - most starchy veggies.

I don't know much about adrenal failure, but it should definitely help with the triglycerides. I have a multitude of illnesses including Lupus, hypothyroidism, PCOS, IBS, pre-diabetic, and others. My doctor was the one who recommended this diet. Have you asked your doctor about a LC diet?
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I would do Atkins 72 plan. It is stricter than most plans out there, but for that you have to consider your health. I think it is very liveable and you will see some good results and benefits!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Atkins 72 is a lot stricter with vegetables, since it doesn't net out the fiber, but I don't see how that's a benefit, actually. If you want to eat less carbs, just use normal Atkins with 10 grams net carbs or something... there are good scientific reasons the diet was changed over the decades of Atkins' life.

But that doesn't address the original poster who doesn't seem to want something that rigorous.

The triglycerides are going to drop like a rock with low carbing, but how much depends on his genetics. But you have to know, triglycerides are ALL about the carbs one eats and nothing else.

I can't help with adrenal failure. I hope someone has information for you.

best of luck to you both.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Go to Maria's blog and do a search for "adrenal". Also, lots of info on cholesterol.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

who is Maria?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
"But you have to know, triglycerides are ALL about the carbs one eats and nothing else. "

Well, there is one other thing, drinking alcohol. That can affect triglycerides also, but the carbs are the biggie.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I would go on a plan that puts you into nutritional ketosis and stay there for a good while. It relieves a lot of body stress. I have not had a test but also suspected weakened adrenals and auto prescribed myself Vitamin C as it is needed by the adrenals in hormone production (especially the stress hormone Cortisol) You might like to look into the work of Dr Jack Kruse although he is not everyone's cup of tea . For good easy access info on adrenal fatigue you want to read the website of Dr Lam.Take it easier than before and alleviate the stress. If you also have trouble sleeping go to bed as early as you can ( 9 - 10 pm is great)and during the day try to be outside a lot . I had trouble sleeping and in the beginning I supplemented with melatonin but it is NOT recommended as it supposedly encourages your pineal gland to produce less of your own over time when you use it on a regular basis . It did help me though to change my sleep rythm.
Disclaimer : Vitamin C and melatonin has helped me but I am not a doc and any experimentation I did under my own responsibility so the above should not be considered medical advice.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Edit : Apologies for giving you more info than you requested but it is all connected so I could not stay quiet
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

no problem Aleina! I love all information. I am going to a naturopath and we are working on lots of issues one at a time. I tried melatonin but it gave me the CRAZIEST dreams. I woke up so mad at my husband because my dream was so realistic

Thanks everyone! I feel like this is just the beginning of a very big journey. At least DH is on board ~ well at least until I start making the dietary changes

Wendy
Old 10-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Edit : Apologies for giving you more info than you requested but it is all connected so I could not stay quiet
I have been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue by my doctor. I think the most important supplementation you can do is with the vitamin C. Her recommendations for me were to do 1000 mg per meal of the vitamin C. I have also just saw on tv Dr Sara Gottfried promoting her new book "The Hormone Cure". She said to lower your cortisol levels, do these things:
1. take these supplements : phosphytialserine, rhodiola, fish oil
2. avoid these in your diet: gluten and caffeine
3. add this after you eat breakfast: dark chocolate

Her segment was on "Home & Family" which airs on the Hallmark Channel. I am sure if you google you can watch the segment and see what amounts of each supplement were suggested. It was very informative. She also has a website, thehormonecurebook. When I was diagnosed 3 years ago, my doctor gave me the name of a book I should buy. It was called "Adrenal Fatigue" by James Wilson and Jonathon Wright. I was so fatigued that I could not finish reading the book. But that had some suggestions too.

With what I posted above, it looks like getting gluten out of your diet will benefit you most! Since everyone in the family will most benefit from it, not just you
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: low-carb-c
One more suggestion on the high triglycerides. My doctor put me on 4,000 mg of fish oil daily, which has helped my triglycerides tremendously. He's all about using lifestyle and supplement changes when possible.
low-carb-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
It sounds like your entire family would benefit from a Paleo approach with you and your husband eating on the low carb side of things. Triglycerides are directly related to carb intake, so that says a LOT about your husband's current dietary intake. How is his glucose metabolism (blood sugar, HbA1c. Etc.)??

Paleo means no grains and dairy (some people still do dairy, but there is cross-reactivity with grains so your kid with the wheat allergy may have issues), no legumes, avoiding industrially processed food. Food should be organic, pastured, and nutrient dense.

If your kids are young you might find the book *Eat Like a Dinosaur* helpful, if they are older Diane St Fillipo's *Practical Paleo* will be great for all.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

thanks all! we are going to take a stab at the primal blueprint. I will keep you posted
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 167/140
The Primal Blueprint is awesome! Our whole family does it, except we don't do dairy either, as it causes too much inflammation for us. But we hope to add it back sometime in the future. Best of health to you and your family!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I lowered my triglycerides from over 1200 to 93 (most recent labs) and cured my adrenal fatigue by adequate rest, destressing and high fat very low carb diet. All the "plans" everyone talks about are basically the same. For health and weight loss you need to follow a ketogenic diet that is as clean as possible. Eat organic veggies and grass fed hormone and antibiotic free meat. The higher the fat and lower the carb, the better. Weight loss comes from carbohydrate reduction. Its as simple as that really.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote