Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What's your go-to meal when you're eating out? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/815890-whats-your-go-meal-when-youre-eating-out.html)

createart 10-24-2013 08:31 AM

What's your go-to meal when you're eating out?

DH and I have a date day planned on Saturday and I'm just curious what everyone's go-to meals are for when you're eating out.

We love all types of food- American to Thai, Italian to Greek and everything in between!

Anything besides grilled chicken and broccoli? :confused:

GailyGail 10-24-2013 08:54 AM

It depends upon where we go and what we are in the mood for and what options are truly low carb. Here are a few examples. Hope this helps!

American Bistros:
Bunless burgers or turkey burgers with salad
Grilled steak tips or turkey tips with greek salad and a green vegetable (sauteed spinach, asparagus, green beans)
Salmon or grilled tuna
Sauteed scallops
Lobster or shrimp if we feel like splurging

Italian:
At my favorite Italian place, I simply ask them to make my favorite dishes without pasta. For example, chicken romano is really just sauteed chicken/shallots/mushrooms in a tomato cream sauce -- they just don't add pasta
Mussels Marinara
Shrimp Scampi with no pasta or rice of course
Sauteed veal in a lemon cream sauce

Thai or Chinese:
We simply ask them to make our favorite meat/chicken stirfry dishes without added sugar, flour or cornstarch. We usually get Szechan Spiced Chicken, Twice Cooked Pork, Chicken Saute Basil, boneless spare ribes, chicken yakitori, spicy string beans.

Greek:
Greek salad, gyro meat without the bread, grilled fish, sauteed spinach

Charski 10-24-2013 09:01 AM

Nothing wrong with a perfectly-grilled steak, mushrooms sauteed in butter and/or olive oil, and a big salad. That's one of my faves.

Our Greek restaurant serves this KILLER Greek salad with grilled B/S chicken thighs, of course marinated in Greek yumminess. I just have them hold the pita bread accompaniment and all is well. You can also get that with grilled salmon or gyros meat on it. LOVE it. With lots of tzatziki! :)

Any grilled fish is good, check the sauces though. Look at the menu items and check what they offer for sides - for example, some places have creamed spinach as a side to grilled fish - if you'd like it with your steak, ask if you can make the substitution for the mashed potatoes or whatever they serve the steak with. I've NEVER had a problem as long as I asked nicely, with a smile - "Is it possible to substitute the creamed spinach for the potatoes with this?" Most servers will accommodate you if they can - after all - they work for TIPS! AND if you do get someone who works with you on making things the way you want - make sure they get a little somethin' extra at the end of the meal. I also make it a POINT to tell them how much I appreciated their great service. A compliment goes a very long way with most servers!

BulldogMom 10-24-2013 09:13 AM

I always go online and choose what I'm going to eat before I get to the restaurant. So much easier to make good choices at home than to make them when I have temptation in front of me. I have found some favorite dishes at all of the places we usually go. Thai and Chinese restaurants scare me but I usually do okay with any of the stir fried dishes if I skip the rice. Otherwise its a burger or steak with a salad.

Aomiel 10-24-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16656740)
I always go online and choose what I'm going to eat before I get to the restaurant. So much easier to make good choices at home than to make them when I have temptation in front of me.

:goodpost:

84k 10-24-2013 10:42 AM

Steak and salad or if its day time or less casual, an all day brunch/breakfast

SkeeterN 10-24-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16656727)
Nothing wrong with a perfectly-grilled steak, mushrooms sauteed in butter and/or olive oil, and a big salad. That's one of my faves.!

this^^^

shipshemom 10-24-2013 02:01 PM

I also check nutrition facts if I know what restaurant we're eating at. I'm appalled at the carb count in "healthy" meals. Most sauces are loaded w/ carbs, so I stick to meat/seafood/veggies w/o any pre-made sauce if I can't check them out online ahead of time. Remember that you're not used to eating high carbs, so you might also have tummy issues/bloating as well as weight gain by eating off plan.

Punkin 10-24-2013 02:12 PM

Checking the menu ahead of time is a great idea. Usually I get a ceasar salad because it is the safest for me. Greek and Thai are usually pretty good, because you can do a veggies/meat with a fatty sauce. At other restaurants I have eaten a cheese/mayo based dip served with romaine lettuce leaves instead of crackers, that has worked too.

trishthedish 10-24-2013 02:34 PM

Steak, veggie, and salad is my go-to restaurant meal.

I have also had broiled fish and veggies, a lobster roll minus the roll, chicken soulvaki minus the pita, burgers no buns, or chicken wings.

You can still enjoy yourself and feel like you're getting a treat.:up:

DiamondDeb 10-24-2013 02:52 PM

It depends on the restaurant. I look for plain meat/veggies with no sauces or anything like that. Wild-caught salmon or steak are my favorites. I get double veggies instead of a starchy side.

My go-to meal when I can't find that (or it is too expensive for the occasion) is a salad, usually a Chicken Caesar salad with no croutons. I can get this almost anywhere I go.

I check menus online ahead of time when I can & have no problem grilling lol... the waitperson on ingredients if I am interested in something unfamiliar.

rose1 10-24-2013 03:22 PM

Give me salad and I'm good.

Biochic 10-24-2013 04:22 PM

American : cheeseburger no bun, wings
Italian: fish
Sushi: rolls without rice, usually cucumber wrapped
Mexican: frajitas

:)

tori_lk 10-24-2013 04:39 PM

salad

flowerpower 10-24-2013 04:40 PM

Steak or Grilled Fish, veggies and a salad
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
Grilled Chicken BLT Salad

clackley 10-24-2013 04:47 PM

I usually order a salad with dressing on the side. But if there is a chance at a good steak, I am all over that. Recently had a grilled steak salad that was so good. Had blue cheese dressing instead of the sweet one it was suppose to come with. Hoping to have that again this weekend!

Jaded62 10-24-2013 04:52 PM

I like Prime Rib, steak, chicken or seafood with salad and loaded Broccoli. I get this grilled without any sauce or Au Jus. Most restaurants will accommodate your woe.

tinamanni 10-24-2013 04:59 PM

Cobb Salad if available
Burger w veg side
Steak w veg side
cheese and meat plate

canadiangirl 10-24-2013 05:57 PM

Swiss Chalet! I get a half roasted chicken and replace the fries with a caesar salad! If I am dying for dessert they have really good diabetic ice cream!

RoseofSharon 10-24-2013 07:53 PM

I have a Japanese style pub I love. They make a surprising number of lc dishes: grilled asparagus with miso-butter, roasted cauliflower, seared fatty salmon, grilled shrimp, and roasted pork, homemade kimchi, rare steak. They are always little plates so you can have a taste of a lot of dishes. Yum....

If you can avoid the chips, a good Mexican place also has options. I order the seafood soups, stews, fish dishes, etc, just without beans or rice.

Of course, you can't go wrong with a big delicious burger, sans bun, served with a large icy cold salad!

mjgh06 10-24-2013 08:45 PM

A nice ribeye and a greek salad

Jenn11 10-24-2013 10:10 PM

Grilled fish is the ultimate treat for me, with some lemon on the side. Some places have great salads, if not then there's always steak pretty much anywhere you go.

I forgot garlic butter mushrooms hehe.

LauraDavis 10-24-2013 10:36 PM

Bunless burgers, steak, shrimp or nakid buffalo wings

LCdave 10-25-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by createart (Post 16656680)
DH and I have a date day planned on Saturday and I'm just curious what everyone's go-to meals are for when you're eating out.

We love all types of food- American to Thai, Italian to Greek and everything in between!

Anything besides grilled chicken and broccoli? :confused:

chicken ceasar salad, it seems every place serves this.

createart 10-25-2013 08:28 PM

This all sounds great- thank you all for the suggestions!

10Poppies 10-26-2013 04:30 AM

We go to a local diner often, and I like to order bacon and eggs no matter what time of day, and ask for a salad instead of hash browns.

valentine319 10-28-2013 11:04 AM

On wings remember to check if they are breaded. I love the sizzling fajitas! My local thai place does a chicken basil stir fry gluten free(this makes it without any thickeners) and sugar free. Most places are very accommodating to changing out sides and alternations. Planning ahead is a great idea.

mimivac 10-28-2013 12:51 PM

At my local tex/mex place I always get a bunless burger with queso and grilled jalapenos with a side salad with cilantro-lime dressing.

Local pub: bunless lamb burger with feta cheese and ceasar side, no croutons
Local high-end pizza joint: plate of brussels sprouts with bacon and a plate of procuitto

createart 10-28-2013 06:49 PM

I went with a grilled chicken salad at lunch with ranch dressing (think I may have found a great new place to eat. It's one of those chicken tender places, but they offered broiled tenders without breading, they do brush them with butter and cilantro though! Yum!)

Then at supper I had half a smoked chicken with steamed broccoli/zucchini/mushrooms and a side Caesar without croutons. I work of the restaurant we ate at for supper so I'm able to be even more picky about sauces and spices than usual. Ha!

Mimosa23 10-29-2013 03:04 AM

Usually some kind of grilled meat and steamed/stir fried veggies or a salad.
My favourite is this Argentinian Steak House near my office. They have wonderful steaks, cooked to perfection and some nice veggie sides to choose from. The garlic butter is homemade without any nasties and their bearnaise sauce is also made without starchy additives. YUM!

I also like going out for lunch and then I usually have a Caesar's salad with grilled chicken or grilled feta cheese and without croutons. Sometimes just a carpaccio with a little salad. It really depends on my mood and on the dish of the day, LOL!

I also like going out for Greek food, which is not expensive at all here and we have a restaurant that do great meat dishes with very nice side salads.

But honestly, I like eating at home and making new recipes the best. And I must say, most of it is better than I'd get in a restaurant!