LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl05
Stats: 26/18/10
WOE: <50 carbs
Start Date: Jan 2010
If you do low cal in addition to low carb

I read all these fabulous recipes on these forums and for most of them I think "oh my, that's too many calories for me". I have to eat low calories in addition to low carb in order to get the scales to move.

For others in my situation, what do you eat on a daily basis? I am looking for suggestions. Most of my days consist of chicken or fish or hamburger with a side of creamed cauliflower (I can repeat the same thing day after day if I like it and never get tired of it) (been eating the creamed cauliflower since June! LOL!). Currently breakfast is usually strawberries or tuna salad. Do most of you keep it simple like this?

Thanks!!

Leigh Anne
ncgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am doing low-carb primal JUDDD, so every other day I do low-calorie as well. One of my new favorites on those days is stir-fry based on angel-hair shredded cabbage as the base. Delicious, and adds a lot of bulk, so you really feel like you have eaten something.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
I have to watch calories in order not to gain weight. I'm very small and eat very simply. Breakfast is usually a boiled egg or string cheese and V-8 or yogurt, berries and chopped walnuts. I eat lots of cottage cheese, huge salads. Like you, I look at the recipes and think .
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/141.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I don't specifically count my calories, but I do keep it simple and make sure I'm not eating carbs. I know I don't eat a lot, especially compared to what I used to eat. I stick to meat, eggs, and cheese. It makes it really easy and simple.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Yeah, I keep it simple too. Bacon and eggs for breakfast (or BPC if I'm just not hungry), 3 eggs, deviled, for lunch and then 4 oz of protein and a salad or some green vegies for dinner. I usually come in at around 1200 calories.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yeah, those "recipes" are a slippery slope. most are too high carb in addition to being very high calorie, and tasty enough that you will not want to stop at a half cup serving!

any time I see a recipe's nutrition based on something like 12 servings, I can be pretty sure it's not for me.

it would be so much fun to try to replicate recipes with lower carb ingredients, but for most of us, that should be a once a quarter when we are entertaining sort of thing, not for daily meals. too bad, huh?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
I eat pretty simply also-- no artificial sweeteners, packaged foods, etc. I stay under 1400 calories a day in addition to keeping total carbs under 30-35. I'm losing slowly but steadily.

I eat meats, leafy greens and a few vlc veggies, organic dairy, and nuts.
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I get my proteins through high fat dairy, such as cheese. Salads are great, if you watch what goes in them. I usually do cheese, leafy greens and a fatty dressing. You can also do soups or things made with gelatine. If you get good at gluten free baking, there are some low carb flours that you can use. I have made pureed rapini crackers just by adding psyllium husks, water and baking powder. Virtually no carbs and few calories, a great way to get brie into your body!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I lost all my weight when post-menopausal and hypothyroid, and I have been maintaining for 3 years--eating both low carb (I am very carb sensitive) and low calorie. I eat very simply--meat, fish, eggs, and veggies. I sometimes make a flax "muffin' for variety and to help with regularity.

I do not tolerate fat well, so limiting fat helps keep my calories in check.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I don't do dairy, which helps. I'll do broiled fish or shirmp for lunch on a salad with no added fat. I have a low fat, low cal salad dressing that I love! I'll add some sunflower seeds for fat.

I can get a lot of mileage out of a good pork tenderloin when it's on sale. I cook in the crock pot and then use it on salads/leftovers. It's pretty low in fat so it needs some sort of sauce, since it's dry. I'll save my calories/carbs for lower sugar BBQ or salad dressing.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I am doing low-carb primal JUDDD, so every other day I do low-calorie as well. One of my new favorites on those days is stir-fry based on angel-hair shredded cabbage as the base. Delicious, and adds a lot of bulk, so you really feel like you have eaten something.
This sounds good - I think I'll give this a try this weekend.

It seems everyone is keeping it simple as well. At least I know I'm not alone
Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
I second the suggestion for low calorie, low carb veggies for bulk. I go through tons of shredded cabbage, broccolli, spinach and cauliflower. Like Sirtain, I do a lot of stir fries with cabbage. I also use shredded cabbage as the base for an alfredo dish, with a pile of sauteed cabbage, some chicken, and a little alfredo sauce. Most my meals are based on veggies.
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I do low carb and about 1200 calories a day to maintain my weight. I still use full fat everything just less of it. So I will eat scrambled eggs, bacon, and vegetables for breakfast but won't overstuff myself/eat a pack of bacon at once, then for lunch/dinner/second meal I will have a gigantic salad full of all sorts of veg, maybe a little goat cheese or feta, and dressing from fresh squeezed lemon juice and 2 TBS evoo (full fat but I measure out the amount and don't just freely pour from the oil bottle) and a piece of roasted chicken, grilled steak, or fish.

I don't go out of my way to rack up what I call empty calories- things like hwc in coffee, tons of cheese on meat, tons of cheese/cream/oil on veg. All these extra calories in the form of fat do nothing to satiate me and would just make me go over my daily calorie limit and would make me gain. I focus on eating enough meat to meet my protein requirements and a large and varied amount of vegetables for the nutrients. Plus, when I eat a piece of fish or a vegetable I want to taste the actual flavor, not a cheese sauce.

And, yes those recipes are more of a hindrance for many people. 9 times out of 10 a thread about them has at least one post where someone confesses "it was so good that I ate the whole thing at once and wasn't even hungry".

Last edited by nolcjunk; 10-23-2013 at 11:01 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
An oldie but a goodie!!

Gallery: flowerpower
Stats: 192/167/152
WOE: Lean Lowcarb
Start Date: January 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseofSharon View Post
I second the suggestion for low calorie, low carb veggies for bulk. I go through tons of shredded cabbage, broccolli, spinach and cauliflower. Like Sirtain, I do a lot of stir fries with cabbage. I also use shredded cabbage as the base for an alfredo dish, with a pile of sauteed cabbage, some chicken, and a little alfredo sauce. Most my meals are based on veggies.
Yes! More veggies really help! A salad as a meal (with added protein) really helps the total calorie count and carb count to stay low on a daily basis.

There are so many salad as a meal options... from the basic chicken caesar, to a Chicken BLT salad, a shrimp salad with spinich and a balsamic dressing, a steak with mixed greans and dressing or choice, a taco salad, etc.

The added fat included to dress a salad can be good fat. I make my dressings with flax seed oil - which has several health benefits and tastes really good.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
I do a modified Atkins/Juddd program. So every other day I am under 500cal but every day I only use foods off the Atkins Induction list. You can see my past three weeks meals on my journal.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I do low carb/low calorie through intermittent fasting -- which means I basically eat one meal per day on most days. This helps me restrict calories and carbs.

Usually have coffee in the morning and then switch to sparking water at the office. If I get hungry (which I usually don't), I will have one small piece of Laughing Cow cheese or a small handful of almonds. If I have to go to a business lunch, I will usually have a small salad. For dinners, we keep it simple -- grilled chicken, turkey burgers, fish or steak with a salad tossed with sugar-free dressing or olive oil/lemon juice.

On the weekends, we will indulge in low carb recipes but that is all we eat all day -- and I make sure those recipes are relatively healthy. I make a chicken spinach casserole that is great -- very filling with the fat coming from added mayo and sour cream.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 2.1.14 * 244#/234# 2.23.14
WOE: Carb Adicted: Atkins 72, measured portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I stay with Atkins 72. To the extent that the new & improved Atkins differs... It doesn't work for me. I do NOT count calories or fats. You NEED some fats for your body to convert to run on... and after you've used up your consumed fats, hopefully the body continues to burn body fats. I do think you can take in too many fats. If you consume more than you burn, you will gain. I eat lots of proteins which contain fats... but I don't care for eating straight fat...
I cook bacon & sausage well & pour off the excess fat before cooking my eggs. I trim meats as much as practical.
This works for me.
It is the fats in our diets which kills hunger which is why Low Fat is torture. Even

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 after years of mis-dx & vague symptoms *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I am mindful of calorie count for the day. I keep it reasonable. ravenrose is right about the recipes. they can get high in cal/carbs and you can eat alot more than a portion.

I keep it simple I lose more quickly. hungry days I always start with bacon and eggs. that satisfies me big time thru the day and easily keeps me in control.

Simple healthy foods is the way to go. I also have some meals that I love and are weight droppers. My alfredo with chicken and broccoli is a big meal, heavy and filling and never a weight gainer for me my standby.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Get It Done
Stats: 237/144/136 5' 6" 53 y.o.
WOE: VLC + low cal
I keep under 1000 and under 20 net carbs every day. I also watch my salt intake.
I believe each person should follow their body's lead in what is working at the moment. I had to lower calories as my weight has dropped.
Get It Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Get It Done
Stats: 237/144/136 5' 6" 53 y.o.
WOE: VLC + low cal
Daily menu:
B: Jay Robb whey protein with 2oz half & half and 24oz water.
L: 3oz meat, 3 celery stocks, water
D: 6oz meat, 6oz broccoli-spinach-green beans, condiment, 1/2 oz raw nuts, lots of diet coke
Get It Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
B: Coffee with HWC
L: tuna/mayo on 1/2 avocado.
D: Grilled tri tip with homemade coleslaw.
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I hope you check back...ouzoid is low cal along with low carb and has lots of good recipes for this...google ouizoid muffin...I make this on aregular basis and made pumpkin bread with her muffin recipe today...it was so good. Her better than flour mix is good too but a little higher in calories...the muffin is induction friendly...the BTF mix has almond flour so it is for OWL or higher.
Her muffin has been a game changer for me...so versatile and so low cal and filling...I use egg white powder in the recipe so I can make up a huge batch and then just add liquid...so convienient.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Lterr913! I will check it out!