Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
No Count Low Carb Diet

Is there a low carb diet that requires absolutely no carb counting?
I ask this because I think that I'd like to stop any veggie/salad weighing/measuring.
Thanks!
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Well, sure. You can do anything you want. Whether you will be successful at it or not is another question. I did not track anything at all from November until April, then sporadically from April to July. Only since July have I been religiously tracking my food intake. I am not on any plan, but in general I stuck to the Atkins phase 2 (OWL) food list and tried to eat only when hungry, and stopped when I was no longer hungry.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Maybe Atkins 72?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Eat liberally of any fatty meat
have two small salad with a small serving of other vegetables., I'd say a small salad is like a generous handful of baby salad greens plus some iceberg, a few cherry tomatoes , few slices of cucumber, etc.
have one cup portions of other low carb veggies
Limit milk to cream served in coffee and used for sauce
Limit cheese to two small servings a day
No grain
No fruit

Yeah, 72 was pretty darn simple...

Seriously though, an entire bag of salad lettuce would be negligible as far as carbs. It will be the other stuff you put in it that would matter most. 3 cups of salad lettuce would be 3 carbs. 3 cups of spinach would be about 4g.

If you got a container and weighed out the amount of salad you like and the ingredients you like and figured it out, you could estimate after that. After a month of weighing all of my food, I got pretty good at guessing pretty close to what I was used to measuring out.

or go the assembly line route. Get 5-7 Ziploc containers, a scale and your ingredients. One day, take all the salad lettuces and split them up among the bowls, then do the same with all the other ingredients, measuring them into each bowl, then once you've added your lettuce, tomato, cucumber slices, shredded cheese, ham, olives, etc Then put the lids on them and you won't have to measure that for the rest of the week.

But you can't say, "I'm not gonna measure this new thing" and then expect to know how much of it you've eaten. without reference you could go either way of eating too much or too little, but too little is rarely the problem...
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-19-2013 at 01:18 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I don't count anything. I eat meat, eggs, cheese, mayo, olive oil, and coconut oil. I eat when I'm hungry, and try to stop when I'm satisfied. It keeps things very simple and I don't count anything.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elrangel
Stats: 236/200/145
Start Date: 09/28/13
I dont keep exact track but I have a good idea about how much I am eating. If you know your safe foods you should be ok. I try to stay around 20 carbs a day. I use the keto Stix just to make sure they are nice and purple and if they are not I can figure out what I might of had that was too many carbs.
elrangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Dr. Andreas Enefeldt has the simplest clearest explanation of how to eat low carb with absolutely no counting, weighing, or measuring. He lists the foods to choose from and the foods to avoid, but you don't have to carry a list. For example, vegetables grown above ground are fine, below ground should be limited or avoided. Eggs, meat, cheese, fish, and nuts can be eaten to satiety, fruits limited to occasional small servings of berries, and all grains and starches should be avoided. It can't get much simpler than that. Google his name and you'll find his very simple, clear explanation titled "LCHF for beginners". No counting!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 198 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Atkins '72... old school ways are the easiest to follow and it worked then and will work now. If you're hungry eat meat..just be mindful of when you are full..

Metga said it perfectly!!!!
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I don't count anything. I know what foods I can and cannot have, and I eat until I am satisfied. I never went into ketosis this time around, and I am still losing weight. I restarted back in April, I believe. This time, my focus is not on weight loss, but rather on enjoying awesome food and ensuring that I can do this long-term.

I do not own a scale to know that I've lost weight, but I know my rings are loser as well as my clothes. My fiance has commented as well.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maureenlw
Start Date: 5/13/2013
I'm a bad counter. I know if I eat greens, meat, eggs and limit my cheese I'm good. I know the minute I start to eat boxed foods like dreamfield pasta, sugar free candy and anything processed I'll stall out. Then I go back to eggs, meats, small amount of cheese and green things (cabbage, zucchini, string beans, salad, spinach) and start to lose again.

If only it was an inherent for me to make lists and write everything down. I'd be a winner!

Good luck, let us know how you do and the magic list!
Maureenlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Atkins '72 induction.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
I didn't start weighing, measuring, or counting portions and carbs until I was about 60 pounds down. Just get started in any way that will make it easier for you.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
Once you learn your favorite foods you will rarely have to carb count you will just have to keep an eye on total carbs for the day.

Keep in mind net carbs are carbohydrate minus fiber which means things like lettuce celery and I think cabbage are unlimited foods. Other non starch veggies will be really low too.
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I've been on the new Atkins diet a month and a half. When I count my points I average 20-22 net carbs a day. I was thinking what do others do and I see many of you also use the low carb idea and just run with it by selecting off a list.
I'm not bored with low carb just thought I'd ask if it is necessary to keep counting carbs and I see I do have a choice.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Dr. Andreas Enefeldt has the simplest clearest explanation of how to eat low carb with absolutely no counting, weighing, or measuring. He lists the foods to choose from and the foods to avoid, but you don't have to carry a list. For example, vegetables grown above ground are fine, below ground should be limited or avoided. Eggs, meat, cheese, fish, and nuts can be eaten to satiety, fruits limited to occasional small servings of berries, and all grains and starches should be avoided. It can't get much simpler than that. Google his name and you'll find his very simple, clear explanation titled "LCHF for beginners". No counting!
I am going to check into his diet. It may be even easier than Atkins. May finish the year with Atkins then give his diet a try for a month and see how it goes.
Does his diet have a name?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I don't mind counting carbs, it's easy, as compared to say counting your calories, and after awhile you've looked up everything so often you can do it in your head. And I think it's REALLY good to know the carb values of everything you eat, keeps you mindful until it's second nature.

You can do it off a list of "approved foods" and not count I guess, but I think this doesn't tell you the why of the how. When you understand the carb counts in the foods you eat, you can make the best choices, imo.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I would assume that unless we eat something "new", we should already know what type of carb count are in foods and their amts. As a new diabetic, I looked at carb counts, either knew that I couldn't have that much or not. Testing my blood sugar is what told me that either, it has too many carbs or that amt is too much. I don't count carbs, calories or fat. As long as my blood sugar is in control and I'm losing weight slowly, I know that I'm the right track. I think at some point in the future, when I come to a weight stall, I plan to do JUDDD w/ all foods still being low carb. Your question certainly tells us that you're trying to find what works for you and that's what each of us needs to do. Good luck w/ what you choose.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

I think if the future when I can just eat and not count off a list of foods that will keep my weight down yet foods I really enjoy eating.
I really like nuts, meats ,cheese,salads and foods in mayo or olive oil. I don't have a lot of foods I crave right now but I'd like to stop counting numbers later.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
It all depends on what works for you. If you can estimate what you eat and it keeps you healthy, then do that. If you have to keep track in order to be healthy, then do that.

It's kind of tough to say that you want to find a plan that will allow you to do or not do a certain thing. There are plenty of plans out there that don't involve counting, but that does mean it will work for you.

Personally, as long as I weigh and measure everything I eat and keep track of it, I do fine. As soon as I try to do one of the plans that tells you not to count, I immediately start gaining weight.

If you can get away with eating without counting, more power to you! I can't do it.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wizofproz
Stats: 262.6/262.6/145
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Tuesday, October 15th
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I don't count anything. I know what foods I can and cannot have, and I eat until I am satisfied. I never went into ketosis this time around, and I am still losing weight. I restarted back in April, I believe. This time, my focus is not on weight loss, but rather on enjoying awesome food and ensuring that I can do this long-term.

I do not own a scale to know that I've lost weight, but I know my rings are loser as well as my clothes. My fiance has commented as well.
Yes! This. Thank you for confirming what I suspected...that you don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight and you don't have to count carbs to eat low carb.
Wizofproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Eat liberally of any fatty meat
have two small salad with a small serving of other vegetables., I'd say a small salad is like a generous handful of baby salad greens plus some iceberg, a few cherry tomatoes , few slices of cucumber, etc.
have one cup portions of other low carb veggies
Limit milk to cream served in coffee and used for sauce
Limit cheese to two small servings a day
No grain
No fruit

Yeah, 72 was pretty darn simple...
It definitely gets no simpler than that!

It's essentially what I'm doing these days; not by conscious thought (though I've been an Atkins girl on and off since '84 and followed '72 then), but because it works. Too much dairy has been an issue for me on the 2002 plan. More austere and more fat has resulted in better losses now more than 2002.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizofproz View Post
Yes! This. Thank you for confirming what I suspected...that you don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight and you don't have to count carbs to eat low carb.
You are welcome. There was a thread posted about this from another member who reported they were also having success doing it this way.

But, I should really expand on this more on that. I believe, and this is only my opinion, in order to pull it off, one needs to have a very clear understanding of, and grip on, which foods one can and cannot have - meaning what works for you and what does not. I was able to pull from my experience and understanding of successfully doing low carb for a two-year period before, so I had a good foundation of previous experience from which to draw upon. If you are new to this, I do suggest waiting until you have a very good foundation from which to draw upon. I'll also throw in there that I am physically active with brisk walking most days of the week, gardening, and outdoor games/activities with my family. In the winter, getting, splitting, ranking and moving firewood provides lots of opportunity for exercise as well.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
one needs to have a very clear understanding of, and grip on, which foods one can and cannot have - meaning what works for you and what does not. If you are new to this, I do suggest waiting until you have a very good foundation from which to draw upon.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I stopped counting after a while by eating from foods on the induction list including veggies. When I ate fruits or higher carb foods I would count. Initially I counted.

Last edited by Spanilingo; 10-22-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wizofproz
Stats: 262.6/262.6/145
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Tuesday, October 15th
I agree that it's necessary to count carbs for those who are new to low-carb eating. The first time I tried to go low-carb I was AMAZED at the things that would put me over...cream in my coffee, a couple apple slices, a handful of nuts. Now I feel that I have a pretty firm grasp of how much of certain things I can eat, and how I can change my habits to increase my weight loss without being a slave to My Fitness Pal. Even laid-back Mark Sisson recommends counting your carbs for the first couple weeks so that you know what you're really eating, but after that, follow the plan how you feel is best.

Rant alert:

Mostly the reason I am not counting right now is because I've been counting points, calories, or carbs off and on for ten years, and it's not working for me. I get stuck in a cycle of rebellion and guilt that leaves me feeling crappy no matter what I do. I would get so discouraged I would just give up, even if I had lost 4 lbs that week. "It should have been 5," I would think, as I ate my consolation donut. I would much rather stick to a plan I can live with for 5 weeks and lose 5 lbs than count everything for a week, lose 5 lbs, give up because I resent myself, and gain 10 lbs in the following four weeks.

I am really happy for the people who joyfully count their food every day and feel empowered by it. I envy them that powerful tool for weight management. Right now, that's not for me. I have made a lot of healthy changes in how and what I eat over the past week, and I'm more interested in sustaining those new habits than I am in optimizing my weight loss.
Wizofproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ica171
Stats: 270.2/243.6/165?
Start Date: January 2011 (this time)
I realized that if I want to really be successful, it's better for me not to count. Counting makes it feel like a diet and it's really not, at least not for me. I know that LC makes me feel better, and I know that my family has a history of diabetes so I need to do this long term. I just eat lots of LC vegetables, limit fruits to occasional berries or cantaloupe, try not to rely on dairy sauces too much (although they are so delicious) and not eat too much red or processed meat.
ica171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I've never counted carbs, both the first time I did this and now. I just follow the Atkins (1992) acceptable food lists and quantities. I measured four cups of lettuce one time so I had an idea of how much that was, and that was the extent of my counting or measuring.

Of course, I am not one to monitor every day (or even every week any more) to make sure I'm losing. I don't tweak. The most I've done is drop back the liquor when my losses have been too slow. Otherwise, I'm taking the long-range approach. I know the weight will come off. Even the last few pounds. There are probably things I could do to make it come off faster, but I'm planning to be here for quite a while longer, so I don't see the rush.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizofproz View Post
I am really happy for the people who joyfully count their food every day and feel empowered by it.
Do these people exist? I don't know of anyone who "joyfully" counts. The people I have read that are counting are doing it because the are forced to by their bodies, not because they find it fun. I know that's true for me. I hate counting, but every time I have tried to stop and just eat instinctively, I gain my weight back.

I could be wrong. Is there anyone out there that fits this description?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy12
WOE: Atkins and Gluten Free
Start Date: October 1, 2013
In the beginning, I tracked all of my carbs online. I found it to be time consuming but it helped me to get started. Now I have my regular foods that I like and I know what I want to eat to stay on track. I no longer count the carbs. I did google Dr. Andreas Enefeldt's name and the first site I clicked on gave the list. It's very easy to follow and very helpful. Thanks for posting that one.
Anyhow good luck on your lowcarb journey.
Lucy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

There are a lot of ways of low carb eating that say that you can eat all you want as long as you stick to a certain list of foods, and you can't go wrong.

I tried it. I went wrong.