Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Do these people exist? I don't know of anyone who "joyfully" counts. The people I have read that are counting are doing it because the are forced to by their bodies, not because they find it fun. I know that's true for me. I hate counting, but every time I have tried to stop and just eat instinctively, I gain my weight back.

I could be wrong. Is there anyone out there that fits this description?

But only because I'm weird and slightly OCD about some things. With Recipes, for example, i can rarely do it by site. I HAVE to weigh or measure. When Linda Sue mentioned a cup of something and then mentioned how much it weighed, I used both the cup and the scale to make sure it was right. When I was on HCG, I weighed everything to the gram and charted it and tracked it. I read the labels and then the serving size to figure out what the actual calories and carbs are.

Now I'm not like that all the time, and obviously not for all foods, just because I know doesn't mean I always make the best choices, but it's just because I wanna know that I don't find measuring to be so distasteful. And the UP side is that Now, I can try to go BY SITE, and I get joy out of seeing how close my BY SITE guess is to the actual amount. IOW, I grab a handful of dreamfield pasta, and guess how close I am to 65g, and when I've made my final decision..... I pull out the scale and weigh it to see how close I was, and I've gotten it within 2 grams. It's like a game for me.

I will pull out a handful of salad lettuce into a bowl, then guess the weight and then check it. I'll grab a filet of fish and guess how close to 100g it is.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
I have NEVER counted carbs!! and have done quite well..

Now, I just consider myself "Carb conscious" and maintenance is going nicely..

Oh and I do work out daily, plus incorporate other natural habits, like parking further away, taking stairs instead of elevator, walking dogs several times per day...so forth and so on..
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wizofproz
Stats: 262.6/262.6/145
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Tuesday, October 15th
Soooooo I don't belong in this thread anymore because I started counting today . I only lost 1lb on the first week, and couldn't make myself keep a journal while eating low carb ad lib. Hopefully I don't go crazy and stop eating low carb altogether because of it.
Wizofproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Do these people exist? I don't know of anyone who "joyfully" counts. The people I have read that are counting are doing it because the are forced to by their bodies, not because they find it fun. I know that's true for me. I hate counting, but every time I have tried to stop and just eat instinctively, I gain my weight back.

Ummm...<raising hand>. Yeah, it's become a kind of game for me to plan my meals so that I fit within the allotted calories, protein grams, and carbs. Fats kind of take care of themselves when I pay attention to the others.

I count because I derive a certain amount of enjoyment in planning my meals and then knowing that I've followed that plan. I used to eat for entertainment. Maybe this is what I've replaced it with?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
...... Testing my blood sugar is what told me that either, it has too many carbs or that amt is too much.....

....... I think at some point in the future, when I come to a weight stall, I plan to do JUDDD w/ all foods still being low carb. Your question certainly tells us that you're trying to find what works for you and that's what each of us needs to do. Good luck w/ what you choose.

....Ditto that...
...and if you fall off plan on one day...
...get right back on plan the next day...
...forgive yourself, but know that keeping vigil on what passes thru your lips is VITAL......!!!
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Dr. Andreas Enefeldt has the simplest clearest explanation of how to eat low carb with absolutely no counting, weighing, or measuring. He lists the foods to choose from and the foods to avoid, but you don't have to carry a list. For example, vegetables grown above ground are fine, below ground should be limited or avoided. Eggs, meat, cheese, fish, and nuts can be eaten to satiety, fruits limited to occasional small servings of berries, and all grains and starches should be avoided. It can't get much simpler than that. Google his name and you'll find his very simple, clear explanation titled "LCHF for beginners". No counting!
When people mention cheese....does that include cream cheese?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:

Well I don't know if joyful is the right word, but it is definitely necessary and drudgery is a state of mind, more than any physical set of conditions. I count pretty cheerfully every day, and have for years. It's just the same sort of thing as brushing my teeth or tying my shoes. Necessary and neutral, part of being a healthy, clean, functioning human being. And it takes about as much mental energy.

Do I hate my toothbrush because it's easier to leave my teeth fuzzy? No. Do I hate my shoes because they're not slip-ons, or bemoan the insignificant effort to tie them every time it comes around? Nope, I don't even give it a second thought.

That's what food logging needs to be for it to become an easy, life-long habit. Not joy, not drudgery, just a part of the scenery that is all necessary for my body to be managed and life to proceed. It can't be avoided without health consequences, but it needn't be hard or annoying, either. I just choose to be me, shrug about it and not fight tooth and nail to have some mythical standard of eating and living that someone else has rather than what is required for MY BODY and my functioning. Getting into the "how unfair!" mode with eating is a bad, bad path to tread. We just can't compare our needs and required habits to others.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Stella Style might suit you better. There used to be a thread on the Other Plans board. You can search this site.

I recommend Googling Stella Style or George Stella.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post

...............That's what food logging needs to be for it to become an easy, life-long habit. Not joy, not drudgery, just a part of the scenery that is all necessary for my body to be managed and life to proceed. It can't be avoided without health consequences, but it needn't be hard or annoying, either. I just choose to be me, shrug about it and not fight tooth and nail to have some mythical standard of eating and living that someone else has rather than what is required for MY BODY and my functioning. Getting into the "how unfair!" mode with eating is a bad, bad path to tread. We just can't compare our needs and required habits to others.
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/290/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
I dont count carbs but i need to really hunker down on portions including eggs.

Last edited by kay9; 11-12-2013 at 03:52 PM..
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #41
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
I don't weigh anything. I just learn the numbers ahead of time and keep a running tally. After a while it's not even conscious.

For example...

A 10 oz bag of baby spinach contains the following

Total Carbohydrate 10g
Dietary fiber 6g

Subtract the fiber from the total carbs and you end up with 4g net carbohydrate.

I'm probably not going to eat a whole bag in a sitting - I just don't have that kind of patience. more like half a bag. that takes me to 2g net carbohydrate. And since a salad without variety is the worst punishment imaginable, I'm going to add some stuff.

The bell pepper is good for 4g net carbs (kind of a splurge, but it's good value)
Half an onion brings us up another 4g
Cucumber, being a fruit is loaded with sugar. Half of a cucumber brings us up another 5g.

Oil and vinegar are free, and I can even garnish with parmesan without bringing up the carb count.

Add it all up, and I'm looking at 15g net carbohydrate for a salad. I can eat meat and eggs for the rest of the day and stay well below my 20g threshhold.

That is a lot of adding, but the math is done. I never have to do the math again. I just know that a meal sized salad is 15 carbs.

The other way to do it - only eat very low carb foods. Eggs, for example. .6g of carbohydrate per egg. I could, in theory, eat 33 eggs every day and stay within my requirements. Beef has no meaningful carbohydrate per pound. Butter has no meaningful carbohydrate until you get to about 6 cups.

I don't actively count because I've front-loaded the work. I do check labels on anything I did not prepare - because anything can have sugar added.

If you want to avoid counting, figure out your meals in advance, and stay away from foods that don't belong on your plan.

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I just eat meat, so I don't count anything.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I don't count anything. I eat meat, eggs, cheese, mayo, olive oil, and coconut oil. I eat when I'm hungry, and try to stop when I'm satisfied. It keeps things very simple and I don't count anything.
This.

I try to choose the fattiest cuts of meat I can find, and add liberal amounts of mayo, MCT oil, and butter. As long as I dont cheat, this system works very well.
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
and after awhile you've looked up everything so often you can do it in your head. And I think it's REALLY good to know the carb values of everything you eat, keeps you mindful until it's second nature.
This is me I so agree. I did put some effort into learning some carb counts on foods. I want some degree of knowledge about my food choices so the effort was worth it.

OP, at some point you can easily make a menu without 'looking' up counts and remember that your info you gain is power to you.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Try list of foods you eat, measure them in measuring cups note down carb values stick it on your fridge for reference! But the advice given is excellent sofar,

I have to count, i'm new at this but have been counting calories before this which helped me lose two stone, without counting I am completely unaware.

I am also one of those people who enjoy counting, I like numbers!! I plan my meals in advance too, mainly so i buy exactly what i need, I hate wasting food and if the meal is planned out i am less likely to choose something off plan because i would have to re jig my plan (bit obsessive i know). My one successful break away involved just picking the meat options, no rice, bread, starchy veg, that seemed to work fine. As has been pointed out if you already have a really good understanding of carb contents then am sure this will totally work for you. If you go with it come back and post on how you are getting along, i'd be curious to see how its working!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I figured most things out one time, then just estimate from there.

I always say, nobody ever got fat eating induction list vegetables and salads, so stop worrying about it.

There are others that weight and count every little carb. I am not one of those people. Doesn't sound like you are either. Just stick to the induction food list and don't worry about it so much.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/210/175
WOE: Low Carb
I know what's legal and what's not. I never count. That's what always made me fail - counting calories/carbs, etc. I just eat simple. Good luck!
sports_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_mom View Post
I know what's legal and what's not. I never count. That's what always made me fail - counting calories/carbs, etc. I just eat simple. Good luck!
The low point of my year ts tax time where I have to spend hours counting numbers and reviewing receipts, bills, and the like. I hate anything that smells of accounting with a passion.

I absolutely refuse to count calories, carbs and the like. I do the same as sports_mom and others who have indicated similar methods. Life is too short to waste writing down carb counts in a notebook. If I can't keep track of it without "counting" I just eat meat, eggs, and salad instead.

Last edited by Chuck41; 11-14-2013 at 08:22 AM..
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote