Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Lettuce wraps (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/815338-lettuce-wraps.html)

susan41 10-18-2013 09:09 AM

Lettuce wraps

So I'm finding that I really am enjoying lettuce wrapped delivery method way of eating. I am not sure why, maybe it's because it satisfies my hand to mouth oral fixation that a lot of us have, vs using a fork to eat everything.

I'm wrapping everything lol. This morning was a taco meat, cheddar and sour cream wrapped in a leaf of iceberg lettuce. Yday was a bacon, mayo, iceberg wrap. I could go on for days on the way I use it.

That being said, I thought about the nutritional value of iceberg. Which is pretty much zero. And since I'm trying to make everything that goes into my mouth have as much nutritional value as possible because I'm eating less these days, and I want everything to count. Right?

I'm a novice to lettuce lol. What's your favorite lettuce for wraps? What's the best tasting in your opinion with the most nutritional bang for your buck? Which wraps the best? Keeps the freshest longest ? Which is the most bitter or flavorful?

ASHLEY2HAWAII 10-18-2013 09:13 AM

I love butter and green leaf lettuce for wraps. The out side larger leaves of ice berg work well too.

millergirl1976 10-18-2013 09:14 AM

My son says all of my sandwiches and burgers are salad wrapped. LOL!

I learned from Jimmy Johns- they use big fat romaine leaves. They hold up well, and have good flavor. I dont mind iceburg in a pinch- Carls Jr uses it, and their turkey burger with jalepenos and bacon is SO yum. But, if I have a choice, I use romaine.

mimivac 10-18-2013 09:15 AM

Big, fat romaine lettuce leaves are nice. Red lettuce, kale,anything you see in the store that looks big and sturdy enough!

susan41 10-18-2013 09:23 AM

Is kale bitter? I've never had kale that I can recall. It looks to be the most nutritious when I looked up the nutrition on it vs iceberg

GingerAnn 10-18-2013 11:57 AM

I wouldn't discount iceberg completely. I just looked it up.. it has vitamin A and vitamin K.

From Livestrong

Vit K:
Iceberg lettuce serves as a good source of vitamin K. Each 2-cup serving contains 35 micrograms of vitamin K -- 28 percent of the recommended daily intake for men and 39 percent for women. This vitamin supports skeletal health and helps you form blood clots -- blood cell aggregations that physically cut off bleeding after you've suffered tissue damage. Getting enough vitamin K in your diet might help preserve bone health as you age by reducing your osteoporosis risk, reports the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Vit A:
Add iceberg lettuce to your diet, and you'll also boost your intake of vitamin A. Like vitamin K, vitamin A contributes to the health of your skeleton -- it regulates bone growth. Consuming enough vitamin A also supports the health of your skin, eyes and blood. A 2-cup serving of iceberg lettuce boasts 722 international units of vitamin A. This contributes 31 percent of the recommended daily intake for women and 24 percent for men.

That being said, I like using romaine to make little boats of food :)

julieboolie 10-18-2013 12:09 PM

I like green leaf lettuce the best (get good heads of it at my Sprouts) or romaine if I can't get that. I too love to lettuce wrap everything!!

I make a chicken lettuce wrap - ground chicken, ginger, garlic, diced onion and bell pepper, soy sauce (or liquid aminos if you're against soy sauce) and some liquid Splenda-Cooke the chicken first, then add everything else in and sauté it (even a little sesame oil at the end if you like), then wrap in lettuce leaves-delicious!!

ASHLEY2HAWAII 10-18-2013 12:17 PM

All this talk of lettuce wraps makes me so hungry for them:yummy: I am making these tonight!

sweetpoison 10-18-2013 12:28 PM

I had forgot all about using lettuce leaves... will have to pick up some nice ones this weekend.... headed for trader joes....

clackley 10-18-2013 12:42 PM

My fave is Romaine. Current combo is bacon, mayo and tomato. Adding thin slices of avocado is like icing on the cake! Messy but oh so good.

GO4IT 10-18-2013 01:15 PM

I love wrapping my food with lettuce too these days. My favorite is Red boston lettuce or just the reg Boston lettuce. Has a nice buttery flavor and texture to it. Heartier to me.

gardengoddess 10-18-2013 01:20 PM

I have also used raw cabbage leaves for taco shells. Kind of peppery.

islegirl 10-18-2013 02:13 PM

Collard leaves are terrific too. You have to use a sharp knife to thin out the stem - so it's almost flat - so as to more easily make your wrap.

michelle 10-18-2013 02:42 PM

Boston Lettuce is great for this...Kale is OK but might hard to handle.....

Kittycatmom 10-18-2013 03:37 PM

I love romaine. Does great as a wrap, I'm wrapping a burger in a big leaf of it tonight!

islegirl 10-18-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islegirl (Post 16649114)
Collard leaves are terrific too. You have to use a sharp knife to thin out the stem - so it's almost flat - so as to more easily make your wrap.

Sorry, I meant to say that you have to thin out the "spine", not actually the stem which you wouldn't use anyway.

Blue Skies 10-18-2013 05:06 PM

What I need in a wrap is crunch. Head lettuce and romaine are the best imo, if you're talking about what can most hold up to heavier stuffings.

I love the softer greens in a salad, where they don't get weighed down and sogged out by sandwhich makings.

metqa 10-18-2013 05:12 PM

Besides having Vitamins A and K, Iceberg has Water. It'd be silly to say I won't drink water cause it has no nutritional value. Enjoy the iceberg if you like it. It has value in that it is not full of useless or harmful ingredients you don't have to worry about wheat or soy or whatever!

Great idea using lettuce as wraps for everything. I might try that for some taco meat like you did. Butter lettuce is really soft and creamy, more burrito like. I think I'd want the iceburg crispyness for a taco style meal. I used red leaf to make a cottage cheese wrap, it was perfect cause the rib held the cottage cheese right in place.

Maryposa 10-18-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII (Post 16648754)
I love butter and green leaf lettuce for wraps. The out side larger leaves of ice berg work well too.

Ditto!

I have also used romaine, but sometimes I feel lazy about removing the spine/rib/stem so it's not so rigid.

Blue Skies 10-18-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16649326)
Besides having Vitamins A and K, Iceberg has Water. It'd be silly to say I won't drink water cause it has no nutritional value. Enjoy the iceberg if you like it. It has value in that it is not full of useless or harmful ingredients you don't have to worry about wheat or soy or whatever!

:goodpost:

DiamondDeb 10-18-2013 06:41 PM

I use green leaf lettuce from my local health food store. Theirs is tender with smaller spines on big leaves. The grocery store has tougher, less flexible lettuce with thick spines that crack easily.

Emerald 10-18-2013 11:24 PM

I know were talking about lettuce for wraps but for other things like tuna or salmon I use nori. Egg salad in nori wraps is so good! I sue the smaller snack size ones.

Tammy2002 10-19-2013 08:59 AM

do you gals make these ahead of time for lunch? or assemble on the spot? and if you do assemble ahead of time, what do you use to keep them "together"...?

emel 10-19-2013 08:59 AM

Raw bok choy is awesome.
I get the 'adult' kind, not the baby bok choy. I trim some of the upper leaf away and use the whiter part for my sandwich. Romaine is good, too. And I'm always happy when a restaurant will give me a burger on big iceberg leaves.

Tammy, I've never assembled them in advance.
A good portable lunch would be cold cuts or leftovers or tuna or chicken salad in a tupperware with a baggie of nice crisp lettuce, and a spoon for assembling.

clackley 10-19-2013 09:44 AM

I agree that pre-assembly might not work that well.

lighterbeing 10-19-2013 01:09 PM

I love them also. Romaine is my favorite to use. But if you want to get in some extra veggies with the wrap, you can finely chop up some kale, peppers, jalapenos, etc mix with italian dressing and use it as a relish to top the meat and cheese or whatever you like, then wrap it all up. Kale is a bit tough and bitter, I think it is better chopped fine. If I have one of these for a late breakfast I am good until dinnertime.

~Linda~

trishthedish 10-19-2013 02:37 PM

I just used two outer iceberg leaves for two Italian wraps. I warmed the ham, capicola, genoa, and Italian cheese shreds in the oven first. Then I topped them with red onion, oil, vinegar, and black pepper before rolling them up. What a treat!!