Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Low carb is the cause of all your health problems?!

Since going low carb I have found personally that all my health problems have cleared up. For example, all the medications I used to take, I don't need to take them anymore. And even all the over the counter medications for things like headaches I don't seem to need anymore either. In fact, I don't even get minor aches and pains or illnesses at all anymore. But recently I had a bloated stomach and it was pretty noticeable. I have had stomach bloating before, even when I was on high carb, but it has usually gone away within a couple of weeks. This time because it was so noticeable, I went into the doctor to get it checked out. One of the reasons it is more noticeable on me now is because I am a lot thinner than I used to be. Before when I had it I was 60lbs heavier so it just blended in with the fat I had on my body.

My point is that everyone says that it is because I am on a low carb diet and that it is ruining my health, that is why I have bloating. What?! Does anyone else get this? How could a health problem just be blamed on low carb eating. I used to be on a really high carb diet, and no one ever blamed my health problems on that. Even though I had a ton of health issues back then. Why does everyone (incl. my doctor) think that low carb diets cause health problems?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Good luck and if doc is blaming diet find another. Some one who will run the pepper tests. I hope you find your answer.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
I find this attitude totally bizarre. So I'm not on a bunch of meds anymore and my blood sugar is under control and my blood pressure is lowered but somehow that's going to make me worse???? People are nuts.
I agree if it's your doctor saying this then switch doctors.
The only time I have bloating is if I eat a food I'm sensitive to. Some people just have an intolerance to certain food.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, it's aggravating. makes you want not to tell them you are low carbing.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
I agree with the bloating being sensivtive to something you ate. Grains or dairy maybe soy. You have to remember punkin, Dr.'s are only practicing medicine. They don't get taught much about nutrition. It's only the ones who are open minded and continue to educate themselves that might understand.

My Mom had a Dr. This guy was morbidly obese and I'm sure diabetic. I went with my Mom and she/I tried to explain to him what she'd been doing and this idiot flipped out on me. And I flipped right back at him! Man, was I mad. This guy obviously couldn't even help himself and what my Mom was doing was somehow wrong?! Not happening.

He tried to throw me out, that didn't happen either. It was only toward the end of his life he finally admitted to my Mom, it seemed that all he had been taught was wrong. Ya think bozo? He died not much later. And, he was only in his sixties...

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
It was only toward the end of his life he finally admitted to my Mom, it seemed that all he had been taught was wrong. Ya think bozo? He died not much later. And, he was only in his sixties...
THIS is the crux of the matter. By improving our health with low carb high fat diets, we are contradicting all the doctors know and have preached for years. Most of them will NEVER admit they don't know or that they were wrong. They are convinced that our fat intake will catch up with us and we will soon be very unhealthy--even with the evidence right before their eyes that says otherwise.

I was in a healthcare profession when someone challenged all that I thought I knew. He was right--most of the people in my profession spouted things as truths and believed and professed things that it turns out were just plain WRONG. That was the turning point for me--to look in the mirror and know that I was full of cr*p. I went back to school and change professions 180 degrees. Not everyone would do that. I'm still glad I did.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Wow, Janknitz---- my hat is off to you!!!! Bravo!!!
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
Start Date: August 2003
And before you lost weight, I'm sure the Dr. blamed every complaint on your weight.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Janknitz,

I admire someone who can be open minded, reexamine the evidence, and be open to new ideas.

Loren Cordain is another person who has done so. I just learned that back in about 2006 he changed his views on saturated fat.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Janknitz,

I admire someone who can be open minded, reexamine the evidence, and be open to new ideas.
I whole agree, 100%. Good for you! And wow. That took a lot of courage! I am impressed..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Crayon View Post
And before you lost weight, I'm sure the Dr. blamed every complaint on your weight.
Exactamundo! No matter what my physical complaint, with certain doctors, the cause was always my weight. I know for a fact that my weight was the reason my MS symptoms were dismissed for years longer than was reasonable.

It's the same with the way I feed my dog. He eats a whole prey model raw diet, and I co-moderate several of the largest raw feeding groups online. Over and over again we hear stories about how vets will learn that a dog is raw fed and suddenly everything possible (and impossible) is blamed on the diet.

The key is to find a doctor (or vet) who will actually look at the patient and the presenting symptoms, and not blame diet, simply because it may be outside their experience.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Doctors are slowly coming round. My doctor actually recommends reading Wheat Belly. From some discussions I've had with her though I know she still has some learning to do, but she is moving in the right direction.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Makes as much sense as people who are baffled that disease stills exists even though crackers never touch their lips.

Everything is blamed on and can be cured by diet according to Women's Day Magazine.

Apparently Punkin ,you haven't been eating the super hard to find only in the secret hidden places of amystery country consumed only by ancient monks of no longer existent religions berry.

Duh!

Actually, I think people just like to think they figured something out. Doesn't matter what diet you were on--they'd try to find a way to blame something you did just to cure you. Human nature thing.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/209/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
Low carb is the cause of all your health problems I think not. High carb is the cause of health problems
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote