Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
My niece asked me “What did you do to my mom?”

“She is like a whole different person, in a good way, since she went low carb. If I didn’t know better I’d think something is wrong.”

I explained all I did was give her a copy of “Why We Get Fat” and a copy of “Wheat Belly”. She is my older sister. I’m 64 and I won’t put her age up here but she is 3 years older than me. She'd kill me for that.

We have daily phone calls to discuss what is allowed if you are doing low carb. She really had induction flu. One big pot of chicken bone broth and that was taken care of, an answer I learned here that I wish I had known when I started.

She doesn’t need to lose much weight at all but she just didn’t feel good. Always tired and starting to have a negative outlook on life. That is not who she is and she knew something had to change. After eliminating wheat completely from her diet it is as if a fog has been lifted. It was difficult, both to do and to understand, but she has done it and is truly benefiting from it.

It is really great to be able to share this with someone. I didn’t have anyone close when I started but once I found this forum I had all of the low carb buddies I needed.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MistyLoo
Stats: 148.6/121/125
WOE: hhcg 7/12/10
Start Date: Aug. 2002
And you look FANTASTIC!
MistyLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Paying it forward. That is how I think of it. I first got my older sister to read Why We Get Fat and she was a convert. Who then in turn converted her husband and 2 kids. We together got another family member to read and understand and he is now a successful low carber. He is the cook in his family so those he cooks for are mostly low carb now.

I only had this forum when I began again 4 yrs. ago but the information and science has grown massively and what started off as a weight loss program has become my health program. Not only the support found here, but all the other elements of making it a true life change have been instrumental in my success.

Nice post Ralph. I love to hear others having the same kind of success.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z-Baby
Stats: 227/217/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/14/2013
You look great! I'm going to have to check out Wheat Belly.
Z-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It's great you have lead your sister on the path to better health! And your new avatar looks great!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winefairy
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Fantastic that you were able to share your knowledge and experience with her. "Wheat Belly" is an awesome book but can't seem to get my hubby to read it. Low Carbing has become a way of life for me. Just wish I could get hubby on board.
winefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
You look great and your sister is so fortunate to have such a supportive brother!
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
You do look great! Sounds like your sister is doing wonderfully, too. So happy for you both!
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Nothing like a shining example to help effect a change! You have done an awesome job! I am so glad your sister was opened minded enough to listen to you. I have a sister in the same boat and I am hoping I can convince her to give Maria a try.

She's done low carb before, but she's a baker. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed I'll be as successful as you!

It says a lot about you and what you've done to have her ready to listen. Well done!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
You look ah-ma-zing sir!

I wish I had someone, even a not-so-close acquaintance, to discuss low-carbing in real life, but I'm happily substituting with LCF
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
What a good brother you are!!! And, it's always nice when other family members notice more than just weightloss. They notice personality changes that are positive
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Sleepy
that is wonderful!
please tell me more about the chicken bone broth
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
great story and glad she is feeling like a new person!!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Thanks for all of your positive responses. It is really rewarding when we can share our successes. My sister keeps sending me text messages with photos of her meals attached.

As far as bone broth -- I use roasted chicken carcasses either ones I have prepared myself or ones I have bought already done. I will put the carcass in a pot of water, usually 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of water to with two carcasses, with some onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring it up to a boil, cover and let simmer for at least 12 hours. For the first couple of hours I check on it and skim any foam that accumulates on the top. When done I pour the whole thing through a fine sieve, I use a restaurant chinois. It can be frozen or used within 5 days.

It is very easy to do and a great way to get something out of the left over chicken. A real treat is if you can find some chicken feet to add to the pot for the natural gelatin.

If you are lucky enough to get some beef marrow bones roast the bones in the over for about 30 - 60 minutes before putting them in the stock pot.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
That is so phenomenal! It's nice to have allies in real life, sure, but the value of improving someone's quality of life through a fix as simple as diet is truly amazing.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
“She is like a whole different person, in a good way, since she went low carb. If I didn’t know better I’d think something is wrong.”

I explained all I did was give her a copy of “Why We Get Fat” and a copy of “Wheat Belly”. She is my older sister. I’m 64 and I won’t put her age up here but she is 3 years older than me. She'd kill me for that.

We have daily phone calls to discuss what is allowed if you are doing low carb. She really had induction flu. One big pot of chicken bone broth and that was taken care of, an answer I learned here that I wish I had known when I started.

She doesn’t need to lose much weight at all but she just didn’t feel good. Always tired and starting to have a negative outlook on life. That is not who she is and she knew something had to change. After eliminating wheat completely from her diet it is as if a fog has been lifted. It was difficult, both to do and to understand, but she has done it and is truly benefiting from it.

It is really great to be able to share this with someone. I didn’t have anyone close when I started but once I found this forum I had all of the low carb buddies I needed.

You are a wonderful brother ...and none of us will tell your sister that we can add 64 + 3....
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
Thanks for all of your positive responses. It is really rewarding when we can share our successes. My sister keeps sending me text messages with photos of her meals attached.

As far as bone broth -- I use roasted chicken carcasses either ones I have prepared myself or ones I have bought already done. I will put the carcass in a pot of water, usually 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of water to with two carcasses, with some onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring it up to a boil, cover and let simmer for at least 12 hours. For the first couple of hours I check on it and skim any foam that accumulates on the top. When done I pour the whole thing through a fine sieve, I use a restaurant chinois. It can be frozen or used within 5 days.

It is very easy to do and a great way to get something out of the left over chicken. A real treat is if you can find some chicken feet to add to the pot for the natural gelatin.

If you are lucky enough to get some beef marrow bones roast the bones in the over for about 30 - 60 minutes before putting them in the stock pot.
I am going to try this, thanks,, what other foods did you eat, it would be great if you could post some of your menu's----you do look great
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
I am SO glad for you and your sister Ralph! Maybe you had to go it alone to lead her here. =D
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
It's wonderful that you've been such a great example and have been able to help your sister!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Love stories like this! It gives me hope that I can one day have some real influence over my diabetic brother who currently cannot be swayed from the ADA "diet"...I shall be persistent!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 187lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
I wish I could get my sister to jump on with me.. even though she thinks I look great and I've told her how much my knees feel better she refuses to even think of dieting, ANY diet would be better than the crap she eats right now.

If I didn't know better I'd think we had the same sister.. " always tired and the negative outlook" and then add chronic pain to it and you can see why I want to help her so badly!!! I can't even bring it up anymore, cuz last time she snapped at me, so all I can do is be ready if she ever asks.

Bless you for helping her, and good luck to her. You look great!