Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
Mentally convincing myself its healthy...

Hi, y'all! I have big news to share - i've lost 100 lbs Yay, go me! However, I am SERIOUSLY failing at maintenance! (Also, I would LOVE to loose the last 15 or so lbs) I was low carb, that is how I started this journey, then paleo, then vegan, then Mediterranean. I wasn't chasing the "fad"... but rather the the promises of better health. I grew up in a family that struggles with heart disease, so I want(ed) a diet that promised that.... I lost weight on all, but learned a lot over the course of the last 2 years. For me, it all comes down to a whole foods centered diet; the less processed the better. However, I am having a tough time mentally digesting the fact that low carb can/is healthy. Reassure me!
thinking_thinly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I believe low carb/ high fat is very healthy. It's not just meat and cheese. I eat tons of veggies and salads . Many eat fruit as well though I have sugar sensitivities and prefer to avoid the blood sugar spike . The more research I do the more convinced I am that LC is a healthy woe. Replacing rice and potatoes with green beans and cauliflower can't possibly be a poor choice.
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I was having my own doubts. And then I went to my doctor. And, he told me this is the best way of eating. He told me that he has been low carb for 20 years now, and that was enough to make me a believer.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't eat "tons" of veggies, and I still know the way I eat is healthy. I plan to eat this way--for health--for life.

If you haven't read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Voleck and Phinney, Wheat Belly by William Davis, Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes, etc., you may want to start there.

There's also the blog by Phinney and Volek, which is at artandscienceoflowcarb. They have lots of good scientific information.

And this may help as well. The Fat-Fueled Brain: Unnatural or Advantageous? | MIND Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network

Also, there's a series of videos on YouTube that explain why following a low carb ketogenic diet is healthy long term.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 10-14-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
All the diets you mention want to get you off the same things. Refined and processed foods. They are not healthy for us and in fact are mostly chemicals disguised as food. Dr.'s Are now coming to the conclusion that these processed food cause inflammation in our bodies and that is what is the beginning of all diseases.

High fat, moderate protein, low carb is the healthiest way to eat. Sounds like you've been on a journey to better health. You could check out Maria Emmerich's site. She explains a lot about what is really in our food. For example, did you know crisco was never meant to be eaten? It was used for soaps and candles.. But Procter & Gamble got on the anti fat band wagon and figured out if they bleach it they could sell it as a 'healthy' alternative to lard or butter..

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne

Last edited by snowangel9; 10-14-2013 at 11:20 PM..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
I believe low carb/ high fat is very healthy. It's not just meat and cheese. I eat tons of veggies and salads . Many eat fruit as well though I have sugar sensitivities and prefer to avoid the blood sugar spike . The more research I do the more convinced I am that LC is a healthy woe. Replacing rice and potatoes with green beans and cauliflower can't possibly be a poor choice.
Exactly. I also eat a fair amount of veggies and salads. And, I eat berries---strawberries, raspberries and blackberries---w/cream. I could NOT live on just meat, cheese and eggs. I like the zing of LC friendly fruits, and the crunch and freshness of good vegetables. And if I go too long without either, I crave both.

Considering you're a gal who's lost a hundred pounds, I can't match what you've accomplished. BUT, this much I know is true. However we eat, we have to be able to eat that way as a lifestyle and not a diet.

For me, that means more variety, but a healthy variety. What does that mean for you? That's really the question, isn't it? Because no matter what, you don't want to gain those pounds back. So as much as we may think this is an intellectual exercise, something we can decide on in our heads, it really takes both our brains and our instincts to make it work.

Bravo to your brains and instincts so far. No one can argue with your stunning track record---except of course, you.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking_thinly View Post
Hi, y'all! I have big news to share - i've lost 100 lbs Yay, go me! However, I am SERIOUSLY failing at maintenance! (Also, I would LOVE to loose the last 15 or so lbs) I was low carb, that is how I started this journey, then paleo, then vegan, then Mediterranean. I wasn't chasing the "fad"... but rather the the promises of better health. I grew up in a family that struggles with heart disease, so I want(ed) a diet that promised that.... I lost weight on all, but learned a lot over the course of the last 2 years. For me, it all comes down to a whole foods centered diet; the less processed the better. However, I am having a tough time mentally digesting the fact that low carb can/is healthy. Reassure me!
Prior to LCing, I had high blood pressure, slightly elevated pulse rate, and high cholesterol. I just had a physical last week and my blood pressure is down, my pulse rate is down and my cholesterol levels are in normal range. I've been doing this woe since March and have lost 37 lbs. I eat bacon every morning for breakfast along with 2 eggs. I also will eat 2-4 more eggs through out the day. I eat the fattiest cuts of meat and eat fat bombs. Butter and mayo are my condiments. I was a nervous wreck waiting on the cholesterol results because its been programmed into my head that bacon and eggs are bad. I guess my blood work is proof that what I'm doing is actually good for me. My doctor would probably hit the floor if he knew how I was eating though. LOL
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Ultimately, *you* are the only one who can convince you that low carb is healthy.

Surf through the forum and you will find many success stories of people who've not only lost their weight after failing at all other diets...and actually gaining weight on supposedly healthy plans like Weight Watchers...but also improved their health. If that doesn't convince you, don't know what will.

Low carb is the *only* reason I'm now 170+ pounds lighter, maintained it for the last 7 months, took my A1c from 13 to 4.9 and am off all insulin. I don't worry about eating vegies *every* day. I go through spurts where I crave them and have them with both lunch and dinner (mainly through the summer when fresh vegies abound)...not so much through the winter. I had labs done in early September and my doc was astounded at how good they were. We're still fussing over the 'slightly elevated' cholesterol, but I've given her some of Taubes stuff to read. We'll see if she comes around. She did on low carb after reading Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution".
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Hello!

My post will be largely anecdotal and I'll let the others offer the various researchers and books.

I just finished a breakfast of eggs, spinach and brocolli with a sprinkle of shredded cheese (and real bacon bits ). The lunch plan is grilled chicken on mixed greens. Dinner is crock pot pork roast, cauliflower and a pea, corn, green bean mixture. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that meal day is healthier than a significant percentage of many eaters today.

My diet past includes: vegetarian for health reasons, ethical vegetarian, nearly vegan, crunchy-earth-mama (birth kids at home, alternative medicine), Weight Watchers, Whole Foods, and low carb.

Once I got passed the indoctrination of fat phobia, I realized that low carb was my body's intuitive home. I *personally* believe that quality veggies are imperative, so my form of low carb includes copious amounts of them.

I am obese - yet my lipid profile is amazing. My glucose was 91 on the last test. My blood pressure is consistently 110/64ish. I have spent considerable time eating low carb in the last 10 years and I think my health in spite of my weight is due to that. (My weight is complicated and fodder for another post).

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175

Last edited by Midlyfechrysalis; 10-15-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
I hear you loud and clear. We are constantly bombarded with the idea that low-fat foods are better and hi-fat are bad. Propaganda pushers know that repeating the same thing over and over again does work.
You might wish to subscribe to some online newsletters from reliable, authoritative sources that believe low carb is the right way to go. It's good to hear many points of view.

Also, answer the $64 question: Is LCHF working for you? Better than low-fat? If the answer is yes, then I see no reason to argue with success.

Last edited by Josh1234; 10-15-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I also eat a fair amount of veggies and salads. And, I eat berries---strawberries, raspberries and blackberries---w/cream. I could NOT live on just meat, cheese and eggs. I like the zing of LC friendly fruits, and the crunch and freshness of good vegetables. And if I go too long without either, I crave both.
+1

I can't imagine giving up my veggies or some fruit.
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I am with ya, Ntombi. You don't HAVE to eat tons of veggies. I tend to because I enjoy them can handle the carbs and I personally feel better when I include them liberally. My point is you CAN eat a fairly varried whole foods diet and keep within a ketogenic way of eating. The more research I do on ketosis the more I realize it benefits me on so many levels and is the best way for me to manage my personal set of health issues. I am healthier of mind and body on this plan. I am able to consume enough carbohydrates in the form of fresh veggies to remain fairly active which I do for reasons that have little to do with weight loss. I think I may lose Better when sedentary but hell, my mood plummets that wAy...
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My understanding of what the conventional wisdom thinks is healthy and what the science actually says is the key for me. I would recommend Good Calories/Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It was quite dense but also very indepth.

For those that prefer to watch as opposed to read, Tom Naughton's movie 'Fat Head' is quite good as well.

If you google, Gary Taubes or Dr. Peter Attia, you will find lots of informative talks on youtube etc..

Let us know what you find 'speaks' to you! And congratulations on your fantastic weight loss! Yes, YAAAA you!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I hear you, erinmarie. I eat veggies because I like them, not because I think I need to for health. Some days I eat no veggies, and some days I eat a few servings, just depending on my mood.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
Now that I know carbs are not necessary, I eat veggies if I'm in the mood for them and if I'm not, I don't.

I'm not eating fruit (berries) at all while losing-- May try reintroducing them after I've reached the point where I decide to maintain.
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
To the OP: congratulations on all that weight lost, and I think you should ask yourself: what kind of diet would you be happiest on at this point? (realistically happy. I mean, I'd be delighted to go on a gnocchi-only diet without the predictable effects). If it's something where you can have fruit, yoghurt and granola, for example, I'm sure there's something in the LC spectrum for you. Even if you end up not staying on LC for maintenance, I'm sure that with adequate control and self-honesty you'll be able to keep it in check.

Phoebe

One of the very few things we have complete control over is what we put in our mouths. Unless someone hogs us down, pries open our jaws and force feeds us, we have total and complete control of our eating.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Are you following the meditteranian diet now?

If you believe in the paleo diet, I found the best blogs to follow are Jaminet/Perfect Health Diet and Sisson/Mark's Daily Apple. If you haven't read Perfect Health Diet, I highly recommend it.

Also, google Chris Kresser and Stephan Guyenet podcasts. I found these fascinating and gave me some amazing new tools. I thought I was out of ideas before this.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Ntombi, thanks for the suggestion of Phinney and Volek's site. Lots of good information there.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Good morning! Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It by Gary Taubes are both excellent and illuminating reads.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
Probably the best book I've read about the health benefits (not just weight loss) of LC is Trick and Treat by Barry Groves.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for all the helpful answers! I just decided to "go for it" and have eaten HFLC for the last three days. It has been going well, but not in keto yet (although I am experiencing the diuretic effect already of a LC diet! I have to pee like a racehorse!) Anyways, I have already lost 6lbs in the last 3 days eating 1500-1700 calories using this WOE.... My least favorite thing about this WOE is the cost, because being vegan I could live on 25 dollars a week and still have food leftover! Oh well, guess I will find ways to save elsewhere in my budget!
thinking_thinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
They say pay now with food bills or pay later with doctor bills!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Congrats on your success!

I don't think in terms of "low carb" or "high fat." I don't follow a specific diet plan. I'm not a fan of labels.

What I do is eat healthy, non-starchy, unprocessed foods & that pretty much takes care of everything. There are foods that I am sensitive to so I completely avoid them.

Eating healthy food does, for me, end up being high fat, moderate protein, low carb. It is what is left once the other things are removed.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 11/16/14
It's the only plan I feel AMAZING on!!!! I have tried incorporating whole grains back into my diet for the same reason as you. Low fat high fiber is healthy right???

I get instant mental fog, fatigue and end up existing on the couch until I go back to my high fat, high protein ways!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I eat very high fat/very low carb and have for a few years now. I'm diabetic and have had my thyroid removed. My last labs were done about 2 weeks ago and were excellent: HBa1c 5.3, HDL 48, Trigly. 93. My HDL/Trig. ratio is 1.93 which means i have virtually no cardiac risk. I'm also almost 62. I've never felt better in my life. There are so many books, articles and studies out there. Research and read for yourself.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
I eat very high fat/very low carb and have for a few years now. I'm diabetic and have had my thyroid removed. My last labs were done about 2 weeks ago and were excellent: HBa1c 5.3, HDL 48, Trigly. 93. My HDL/Trig. ratio is 1.93 which means i have virtually no cardiac risk. I'm also almost 62. I've never felt better in my life. There are so many books, articles and studies out there. Research and read for yourself.
WOW - your stats are amazing. Would you please share a typical daily menu?

How long ago did you have your thyroid removed. You look awesome. Inspirational for sure!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote