Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Motivation - Your Health!

CNN is running an article about picking a health insurance plan. This passage struck me. Not the saving money part, the preventable illness part! I suspect it is higher than 70%.

It may sound simple, but many people can pick a less expensive plan if they practice good health habits. Preventable illnesses make up 70% of health care costs, according to a study in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Participate in your company's wellness program. Watch what you eat, exercise, don't smoke, drink less and maintain a proper weight
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
That must go with the theory being over weight is your fault. Never mind that the governments idea of ideal eating is what's gotten so many Americans fat in the first place. I agree with the sentiment, just wish it were that easy. You really do have to educate yourself. Not everyone cares enough to do that. Just give them a pill and move on.

I have a couple of brothers (well I have five actually) but two of them drive me nuts! One had the Dr. Tell him he had high cholesterol and asked him if he wanted to try and manage it with his diet. His reply, nope! Give me a pill! Really!!??

The other one is/was very over weight. We are talking four hundred pounds. He is on disability. That drives me nuts too! He can't work because he can't stand for long. Partly his weight and partly too many motorcycle wrecks so his knees are messed up! Now that he's closer to retirement age he is finally doing something about his weight. Sheesh, really people?

So yea, 70% seems low, most people don't want to know how what they are eating is effecting them.... And really, that's sad.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
RE: the diet being the person's fault - unfortunately, people going on diets are generally steered to low-fat (often fat replaced with sugar, i.e. check out the light yogurts), whole grain, lean meat diets that for me caused hopeless failures.

RE: gimme a pill - yep, people just want a trick, rather than change, that is true. But what caused that? Probably failed attempts with fat free salad dressings, entemann's snack cakes, skim milk, etc.

Sorry to hear about your brothers.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote