LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/Prego #3/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
advice for ongoing weight loss struggles

What I have come to realize that all basic "diet" books, plans etc. Address solely the person on perpetual out of control eating, SAD or otherwise dysfunctional eater. So its no surprise that if you stick to their prescription you see dramatic losses etc. As that comes with dramatic changes by and large.

But what about the rest of us?

Almost 8 years ago I got serious and over the course of 2 years I managed to lose 90 pounds and maintain it for about 2 years prior to having my 2 kids. Even then I ate sensibly because I really had changed my lifestyle and only gained 36 and 26 pounds with each.

To this end I only weigh about 25 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight no matter what I do. So its not as though I am out of control with anything, and by miles and miles I eat and exercise much better than when I was obese, so where to go when no loss has happened in about 4 years of time between pregnancies and I have worked hard to really eat well and I exercise a lot.

What I realized when re-reading all the books that helped me lose initially, so much of what they say doesn't apply. I don't need an overhaul, mostly just fine tuning of what might have changed hormonally, age wise, etc. But no one addresses the long-term only the short term really.

I realize without dramatic changes one cannot see dramatic results and there in lies the problem. I can't think of anything dramatic to do differently. I truly am a lifestyle changed from where I was, but and this is a big but. I still want to get to goal someday and I still want to weigh less.

I do acknowledge the overall positives, but I want to wear small pants too.

Things I've got:

self-esteem a million times better

2 beautiful healthy kids grown with 2 healthy pregnancies and 2 years of breastfeeding each.

resting heart rate of 50 and BP of 90/68

glorious lipid panel/cholesterol profile

ability to run for miles and miles, finished a race with my sister this year and doing a relay with both siblings next week

a much improved relationship with food overall

and I am healthy that's the truth regardless of my size.

So if you have advice or experience with this it is much appreciated.
Rainypep is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
First, I wholeheartedly agree with you! I am maintaining a 75 lb loss from 5 years ago. I've gained about 15 back and I've been trying for over two years to find the magic that will help me lose it again. I agree that the books don't really address our needs.

At the moment I've been doing a form of intermittent fasting, and it seems to show promise. I eat breakfast and a very big lunch and then fast until the next morning. It is easy, satisfying and sustainable. And the scale seems to be going down though I haven't done it long enough to say for sure.

Best wishes to you! You are not alone!
Yvonne
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/Prego #3/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
Thanks Yvonne! Support so appreciated and congrats in your maintenance and continued success!
Rainypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Raineypep,

What low carb style are you planning to use, or at least be inspired by?

What strikes me in your post is that you are 1) female 2) older than when you lost all that weight and 3) have had 2 children. These are significant from a clinical perspective.

Great job on the health markers!
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My .02...so nobody shoot me...

Most people will gradually gain weight as they get older because their activity levels decline, their metabolism and hormones change, their lifestyle changes. So we either need to get used to the idea that we are never going to meet Hollywood's standards for 'beauty' or resign ourselves to the idea that we are going to have to work our butts off in the gym and be super watchful about our diet. If someone tells me they weigh 100 pounds and don't work out and/or don't have to watch what they eat, then they're either genetically predispositioned to be thin (maybe too thin), they're still young...or they're just not being honest.

Keep in mind that health and being in good shape is not a number on a scale. I fluctuate between 150-155 and have for the last almost 7 months. I've come to terms with the fact that my 5'3" frame will be considered 'overweight' by the vast majority of society, but I think I look pretty good and I'm certainly in better shape (and health) than some of the 120 pound women I know.

So, I'd say if you really want that last 25 pounds off, you're probably going to have to be super compliant on your diet, maybe even watching the calories if you aren't already...and spend hours in a gym.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
My .02...so nobody shoot me...

Most people will gradually gain weight as they get older because their activity levels decline, their metabolism and hormones change, their lifestyle changes. So we either need to get used to the idea that we are never going to meet Hollywood's standards for 'beauty' or resign ourselves to the idea that we are going to have to work our butts off in the gym and be super watchful about our diet. If someone tells me they weigh 100 pounds and don't work out and/or don't have to watch what they eat, then they're either genetically predispositioned to be thin (maybe too thin), they're still young...or they're just not being honest.

Keep in mind that health and being in good shape is not a number on a scale. I fluctuate between 150-155 and have for the last almost 7 months. I've come to terms with the fact that my 5'3" frame will be considered 'overweight' by the vast majority of society, but I think I look pretty good and I'm certainly in better shape (and health) than some of the 120 pound women I know.

So, I'd say if you really want that last 25 pounds off, you're probably going to have to be super compliant on your diet, maybe even watching the calories if you aren't already...and spend hours in a gym.
Totally agree. And I guess that's the frustration, when we're so good about the diet and exercise and still don't get the results. I'm open to the fact that I may never be 135 again. But I'm also trying to find a plan that's truly liveable and sustainable and allows me to maintain and/or lose 5-10. A girl can hope!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote