Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinters
Stats: 162/134/125
Sugar alcohol??

Hello, I'm almost done with my second week of ketosis and I'm confused. Can I subtract sugar alcohol from the carbs I take in? I'm finding conflicting information on this and now completely confused. I have a sweet tooth so I have some sugar free chocolate that I have a piece or two of daily. I keep track of my daily nutrition and I was originally not subtracting them. I have yet to be kicked out of ketosis but on the other hand they only have 4.8 carbs and I've been staying under 30 a day. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
Swinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinters View Post
Hello, I'm almost done with my second week of ketosis and I'm confused. Can I subtract sugar alcohol from the carbs I take in? I'm finding conflicting information on this and now completely confused. I have a sweet tooth so I have some sugar free chocolate that I have a piece or two of daily. I keep track of my daily nutrition and I was originally not subtracting them. I have yet to be kicked out of ketosis but on the other hand they only have 4.8 carbs and I've been staying under 30 a day. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
Depends on the sugar alcohol. If it is erythritol you can subtract all of it. If it is malitol, I would subtract half, at most. Personally I don't subtract malitol at all though.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
Start Date: Jan. 2013
As far as sugar alcohols go, you can be helped by what the glycemic index is of each different sugar alcohol. To give you a base, table sugar/white sugar is around 70. Erythritol is 0, xylitol is 7 and malitol is 32. So certainly malitol is a much better choice but as Misti said, you can subtract 1/2 of the carb count. If the sweetner is malitol and the sugar alcohol count is 4.8, then substract 2.4. Xylitol and erythritol is so low that you can subtract all the sugar alcohol carb counts w/ these 2. You can find candies made w/ xylitol but I've not seen any on the market w/ erythritol. You can always purchase one of these 2 sweetners and bake your own sweet treats, keeping a watchful eye on how your body responds. They're a God send for diabetics on the low carb lifestyle.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
You can find candies made w/ xylitol but I've not seen any on the market w/ erythritol. You can always purchase one of these 2 sweetners and bake your own sweet treats, keeping a watchful eye on how your body responds. They're a God send for diabetics on the low carb lifestyle.
Netrition sells some chocolates sweetened with erythritol and/or Stevia, such as Chocorite and I think ChocoPerfection. Both taste good.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
another note: different sugar alcohols give different people diarrhea. personally, I find erythritol just fine, and things like maltitol pretty bad. But Xylitol just flushes me out, if you excuse the expression. I have to be REALLY careful not to use much at one time. I actually use it if I have a constipation problem!

and of course Xylitol is very bad for dogs.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinters
Stats: 162/134/125
Thank you all so much!! Very helpful! :-)
Swinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

One bit of info I didn't mention on xylitol. Not all xylitol is the same. Some of the xylitol that is cheaper, is made in China using corn. Some made in the US and Canada are from birch trees and more costly. But I do find the taste and they way they behave in my body different. My source for xylitol is Xylitol, USA, do a google search for the website. I've been quite plsd w/ them and their products.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Pay attention to how your body handles them. I know people say some sugar alcohols don't count and fiber doesn't count at all so they subtract them...but for some of us, they count. I don't subtract anything.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Malitol seems to stall my losses if I eat it too regularly...also causes abdominal distress for me.., everyone is different.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Malitol stalls me as well. Splenda and erythritol don't.
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catzmom View Post
Malitol stalls me as well. Splenda and erythritol don't.
I can't tolerate Maltitol very well although I'd use it in a pinch over sugar. I have zero problems with erythritol and Splenda (sucralose) and never count them. None of them have ever affected my weight loss or maintenance.

The sugar is what kills me. It doesn't take much for me to start holding onto water and for the intense cravings to begin even after all this time. I avoid it as much as possible.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I don't eat malitol at all because of stomach issues. Erythritol doesn't bother me and I don't count it in my carb count.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Smart diabetics will know what their bodies can handle and whether or not counting net carbs or total carbs matter. Always let your meter tell you what you need to count.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Sugar alcohols really mess with my blood sugar and cause me to get cravings. I avoid them. But many can handle them. The key to success in this way of eating, is to observe what you put into your body and see how it effects you. It takes some time, but you will learn a lot along the way. Pay attention.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Full of Fiber
Stats: 265/242/200
Start Date: December 2012
We all need to be very careful when we look at the nutrition content of "low carb" foods. I recently set myself back when I did not read the nutrition content carefully on a sugar free frozen dessert. The fron of the container indicated "sugar free" and "sweetened with Splenda". When I dook a quick glance at the nutrition content I saw it was one carb per serving, so I started to enjoy, enjoy. I took a closer look last week and noted that is also contained 13g of sugar alcohols from Malitol. All of a sudden my 1 carb "find" became a 7 carb (assuming 1 gm sugar alcohol to be .5 carb) disaster. I'm going back to making my own icecream.

I like it best when the nutrition panel provides the total carbs and breaks out the fiber and sugar alcohols; we can do the math.
Full of Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Food panel information can be confusing for sure. It is just better to avoid the processed foods and eat real foods. Every time I seem to try these foods, I get in trouble.

What are you putting in your ice cream? I want to make some. I eat heavy cream and I still lose with it so I bet I could do the ice cream.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote