LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
ummm, tell me about sardines

I have never tried them, but I'm kinda horrified by the idea of them. OTOH, I have now learned to like avocado and hard boiled eggs, which I HATED before, so I think it's time to try sardines. They have some skinless boneless ones at costco I'm thinking of getting (are they all skinless and boneless?).

So what's a good way to eat them? Just a fork out of the tin?

I swear this is a true story, though I obviously am not in a position to try it myself... When I was a teenager I waited tables at a Friendly's and this young kid, under 10 I'd say, used to come in with his mom and order a dish of strawberry ice cream and then pour his tin of sardines over the top.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I have never tried a boneless/skinless sardine. The ones I have are King Oscar I think. They come in a tin wrapped in red plastic. They are definitely not skinless. I think the bones are in there, but they are so tiny they kind of disintegrate during the cooking process. I think they might be headless but I really can't remember. I don't eat them often, that's for sure.

I've never tried it, but I bet they would be good if you mashed them up with a fork, mixed in some mayo and boiled eggs, and ate it like tuna.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Wel what I know is limited except that my father loves them and has eaten them all his life, they have some variety though when choosing them, like in sauces like tomato or hot sauce, mustard etc so might want to find what suits your taste best so it doesn't turn you off for life if you hate the plain ones.

Sardines are rich in numerous nutrients that have been found to support cardiovascular health. They are one of the most concentrated sources of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, which have been found to lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels; one serving (3.25 ounce can) of sardines actually contains over 50% of the daily value for these important nutrients. Sardines are an excellent source of vitamin B12, second only to calf's liver as the World's Healthiest Food most concentrated in this nutrient. Vitamin B12 promotes cardiovascular well-being since it is intricately tied to keeping levels of homocysteine in balance; homocysteine can damage artery walls, with elevated levels being a risk factor for atherosclerosis.

Let me know how you like them, I'm interested also

Last edited by susan41; 10-08-2013 at 12:41 PM..
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Very paleo! I used the tiny dried anchovies from the asian markets instead, however (which are extremely salty - not ideal for this reason). When I was on Kwasniewski's optimal diet, I read that we develop nutritional deficiencies because we don't eat the whole animal anymore.

This is a great way to get calcium as well if you eat the tiny bones.

I may go back to this as I am melting down with inflammation right now. I would probably put a little in an omelet. You don't need much.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender
Stats: 155 lbs/125 lbs/125 lbs (5'8") Age: 46
WOE: Very Low Carb (30-40 net carb grams/day)
Start Date: March 2011
Sardines are delicious and ideal for carb-restricted diets! As Susan posted, they're very high in the long-chain omega 3 fats, DHA and EPA, as well as B12. I buy the Trader Joe's unsalted type and add my own Celtic sea salt. Eating them straight out of the tin is great, but my favorite way to enjoy them is with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, and a sprinkling of that sea salt. So good and satisfying! I eat them at least once a week, usually for breakfast

Last edited by Lavender; 10-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: had to add something
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I too LOVE sardines. The bones are teeny tiny and you can't tell they are there...the bones are a good source of calcium. I like the very small ones best...King Oscar in olive oil or water packed but those are more pricey than the larger ones. I eat them with some thinly sliced onions and some thin slices of a good blue cheese or Gorgonzola. Yummy.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
I like the ones in mustard sauce. Be warned that they will stink up any room you eat them in as will your trash can! My family hates the smell when I eat them. I prefer them on crackers, but not any more since LCing. They are pretty strong tasting straight from the tin, so putting them on low carb crackers or something helps. Also eating too many in one sitting upsets my stomach.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
don't write off the ones with bones. the texture is actually lovely! they are completely edible, not sharp like normal fish bones.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I get the Brunswick brand packed in olive oil. It has the skin and bones (if I remember correctly). They are $1.09 per can and 1 can is a serving.

I use pork rinds. Put a sardine on it then cover in yellow mustard. It's a mustard delivery system. Totally satisfying and very healthy for you.

We used to eat sardines and mustard on saltines growing up. This is the closest I can get to that anymore. Oh and you have to eat them standing up and leaning over the kitchen counter!

Try them! I just bought 3 cans today. I tried some packed in water...blech. You have to get em packed in olive oil...all others use soybean or safflower oil. Ick.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
My 10yo loves them. She eats them over rice or noodles. I hate them, don't like oily fish except salmon and trout. I wish I liked them because they are so good for you!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
cant do it. wont do it.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Sardines are delicious. I eat them at least two or three days a week for lunch. Olive oil packed are the tastiest - King Oscar are my fave (in the yellow wrapper). I drain off some of the oil and eat them straight from the tin with a fork. Occasionally I'll add some lemon and salt, and my other favorite way to eat them is with a tbs of yellow mustard. I'm not a big seafood eater and they're a favorite.

Just yum. Big time yum. And highly nutritious.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

And +1 to eating them wth skin and bones. The crunch is great and the nutrition is better. I find the boneless inferior in taste and mouthfeel.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I vote for them with mustard, too. Yellow mustard, though, not Dijon or country style. I usually pile them onto a WASA cracker, and one cracker gets me through most of the can. Got to try them on pork rinds... never thought of that. I had a friend who used to put them on her salad, but I've never tried that. I have had them mashed with a bit of mayo, finely diced shallots (or scallion), and capers, then stuffed into hollowed out cherry tomatoes - that was really good. Think of them as rustic tuna, and you'll get the idea.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
I absolutely love sardines and can eat them on or with anything. I prefer when eating by themselves to have the ones whole packed in mustard. But I also eat them on crustless cheese pizza, or make veggie dip with them, and yes I have had them with ice cream before. They are not as salty as anchovies which I also adore, but are delicious in their own right.

Now I have to go get some more
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

If the boneless, skinless ones you were looking at were those on sale at Costco right now I must caution you - I just tried some and they are FAR inferior to King Oscar. I'd say the cheaper Brunswick sardines are even marginally better. They remind me of Polar brand sardines, and not in a good way.

So don't just try to the Costco ones and give up if you don't love them - others have way more flavor.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I am a fan of the skinless and boneless. I haven't had them in a while and bought one can about a month ago and ate it last week. YUM. straight out of the can with some salt on it. they are very good for you! I had my 8 yr old DD try one bite. She put up her nose at it, but one bite she said hmmm, not bad I just bought 2 cans the other day. I plan on incorporating some into my menu weekly.
Go for it. but them and try them. worth testing the water.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
I eat sardines every other day. I do it because they're good for me not because I love them. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they taste bad or anything. They're just ok to me. (I'm not going to eat food I hate just for the sake of health.)

When I first started eating them it freaked me out so I wrapped it up in a romaine leaf (so I wouldn't have to see it) and dipped it in lemon vinaigrette. I still put lemon vinaigrette on them but I don't need the leaf to cover it up anymore.

The bones are really good for you and you really don't notice them. They're pretty soft.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Sardines are such a novel item. I enjoy them from time to time, paired with hot sauce or something vinegar-y like mustard. I would love to find some boneless skinless ones, but frankly the ones with the bones are even more healthy. Kenyan runners eat lots of sardines to prep for competitions, or so I've read, and I read a magazine article a few months back about serving sardines at cocktail parties. Yum. Now I want some. I think I have a tin in the fridge.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Can you get fresh sardines there? They're really lovely cooked on a grill, served with just a squeeze of lemon and maybe some black pepper. We used to eat the tinned variety (in tomato sauce) all the time when I was a kid, usually mashed up, complete with bones, and served on buttery toast. Sadly, the toast is a thing of the past now, but I think they'd make a nice salad addition.
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
My husband loves them in mustard sauce but they cost about 3 bucks a tin here so nope! In the states I could find them for less than a buck at outlet grocers so he had them frequently .the very thought of them repulsed me though... The smell is horrible. Even tuna grosses me out, though I do in fact make him tuna salad
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikixie
Stats: 364/309/???
I think you've all convinced me to try sardines
Nikixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

You guys are making me excited about the idea of sardines! lol I think it's still gonna gross me out, at least at first, but I'm a big girl! I think I'll start w mustard and wrapped in lettuce and if I can't handle it, I'll mush them up into a veggie dip. I saw a recipe for a cream cheese sardine spread, too, which I'm sure I could handle.

Thanks for letting me know about the Costco ones, Taryl. I think ya'll talked me into the bones, anyway, so maybe I'll get a couple different kinds to try at the grocery store. No heads, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
My husband loves them in mustard sauce but they cost about 3 bucks a tin here so nope! In the states I could find them for less than a buck at outlet grocers so he had them frequently .the very thought of them repulsed me though... The smell is horrible. Even tuna grosses me out, though I do in fact make him tuna salad
Omg! Do you seriously cook for your husband? Every once in a while I'll cook a meal and invite him to have some, but I can't imagine in a million years making him something that I'm not gonna eat. I don't want anything to do w his laundry, either.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I had a can of Brunswick - packed in olive oil - today for lunch with pork rinds and yellow mustard! Yeeeehaw! For $1.09/can they were delish!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
This thread is convincing me to try them... I have some questions. Can someone compare the mouth feel and flavor? And how are they different from anchovies?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I like the Wild Planet sardines from Costco - they're packed in olive oil.

I also REALLY like the Trader Joe's smoked sardines in olive oil. YUM.

AND I like MOST mustard-packed sardines, although some brands are much better than others.

I bet we have 40 cans of sardines, kippers, and smoked oysters in olive oil (those from Trader Joe's too!) in the cupboard right now. They make a tasty lunch or quick snack or even a light dinner.

Try some different ones til you find the ones you like best. Boneless/skinless is a good way to get started, IMHO.

If your Costco has that Greek yogurt jalapeno dip - oh that makes such a good snack with the tinned fishies! A spread of that on a LC cracker or pork rind, plop a fish piece on there (I actually like the smoked oysters best with this) and eat 'em up. MMM. Now I want smoked oysters and this is not an UP day!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
This thread is convincing me to try them... I have some questions. Can someone compare the mouth feel and flavor? And how are they different from anchovies?
Canned anchovies are VERY salty but otherwise just a sort of miniature sardine. I love those too!

I really don't know how to describe the flavor - if you get the ones in olive oil, of course there is THAT flavor added to the fish flavor. I think you either like them, or you don't. If you like other fish, you'll probably like the sardines.

They're cooked in the can, so they have a very tender mouthfeel to them.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Anchovies are so much saltier. Sardines are just fish, and are flaky just like a large filet. But the bones add texture that you wouldn't normally have in a filet, obviously. Not hard, but not soft either. Reminds me of a nut-like crunch, but no contrast in flavor to the fish. Can't really compare it to anything else, but that's as close as I can imagine it.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Omg, you guys, I did it! I bought a can of king Oscar (expensive!) and a can of bumble bee in mustard sauce. I tried the BB bc I was pretty sure I was gonna chicken out and didn't want to waste the good stuff. I cannot say I loved it, but it was not as bad as a hard boiled egg before I forced myself to get over my fear of them. The problem is much more in the visual than in how it tastes. It's just fish! lol. Now I gotta make some plans for how to eat the king oscars, and check to see if my Costco has that other brand someone mentioned, and trader joe's, too.

I'm kind of excited that I took the plunge! lol
Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/287.2/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I like both canned and fresh sardines. Glad you took the point, Jayne!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote