Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Can't sleep well since LCing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/814299-cant-sleep-well-since-lcing.html)

shapeup1 10-08-2013 08:07 AM

Can't sleep well since LCing

Never had a problem sleeping before..turn around and within minutes ..ZZZzzzz.

Now its a month of LCing I toss and turn, get up... lie down Ggrrr

I feel like a wreck today. :sick: I start reading a book, my eyes start closing, I figure I'm ready ....but nothing happens. Its like I have this energy...

My carbs are not low...I eat salads and veggies....50 grams a day... I work out hard @ the gym. Nothing going thru my mind ..this period is uneventful. Maybe its the CO, that I have at luchtime.. a tablespoon..

Maybe its too LC for me....anyone else having problems sleeping LC related?

Thank you

godsbeloved79 10-08-2013 08:21 AM

Hello, that's very interesting.

My sleep pattern changed for the better when I started LC. I sleep much better and don't need a full 8 hours or more anymore. Hope you get it figured out.

girondet 10-08-2013 08:49 AM

I did have some trouble sleeping, yes, but I did and do sometimes no matter my eating plan.

Still, I did have an energy from low carbing that seemed somehow different and I just stuck it out. I sleep anywhere from 5-1/2 to 7-1/2 hours nowadays and always feel well either way. More energetic and optimistic, no matter what's going on. I credit the lower carbs.

I'd give it some time. I hope things improve.

tinamanni 10-08-2013 08:50 AM

I had the same problem when I started LC. I think it's because all of the carbs werent weighing me down

LolaGetz 10-08-2013 09:10 AM

Try taking a magnesium supplement. I find it helps me sleep deeply and well. Of course, I'm not a doctor and am not giving you any "medical" advice when I suggest this but perhaps you may want to look into the possibility of using magnesium to aid sleep.

sarahatl 10-08-2013 09:21 AM

Yes, yes and yes! I have problems sleeping in general but it is much worse when I go low carb. I did try the magnesium but honestly it did not work for me. Maybe you need to build up with it?

PassionateFire 10-08-2013 09:24 AM

Were you working out pre-low carb? What time of the day are you working out? I find I always have a hard time falling asleep when I do the 7 - 8 kettlebell class, it always takes me at least 3 hours to calm down enough to finally fall asleep.

I also have a lot more energy when I first start this woe again so that adds to the sleep disturbances.

shapeup1 10-08-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PassionateFire (Post 16635315)
Were you working out pre-low carb? What time of the day are you working out? I find I always have a hard time falling asleep when I do the 7 - 8 kettlebell class, it always takes me at least 3 hours to calm down enough to finally fall asleep.

I also have a lot more energy when I first start this woe again so that adds to the sleep disturbances.

Yes I was working out before LC, I always workout around 2 pm....the workout for me was always a garanteed night of sleep before...

shapeup1 10-08-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LolaGetz (Post 16635293)
Try taking a magnesium supplement. I find it helps me sleep deeply and well. Of course, I'm not a doctor and am not giving you any "medical" advice when I suggest this but perhaps you may want to look into the possibility of using magnesium to aid sleep.

Thanks ...looking it up ...how much do you take..?

LolaGetz 10-08-2013 10:03 AM

ShapeUp

The nih.gov website is a good source of information. It gives a lot of info including dosage recommendations for magnesium supplements.

Kittycatmom 10-08-2013 10:16 AM

I had the same issue after the first couple of weeks. Thankfully, it didn't last too long and I sleep normally now.

cfine 10-08-2013 11:47 AM

I recommend Calm magnesium along with melatonin. It is like taking a sleeping pill.

Aleina 10-08-2013 04:11 PM

Loose pointers :

magnesium : I took a high dose way over the recommended amount 600mg and it helped
other supplements: check that you are not taking any "upper" supplements before bed Vit C and calcium can do that
green tea: drinking a bucket of green tea gave me a sleepless night before now
fresh air and sun: try to get out fin the open air as much time as you can during daylight hours.
Dinner : try to eat 3 hours before bedtime no later
sleep hygiene: don't do anything in your bedroom but sleep.Try and avoid the net at least an hour before turning in .Sleep in a dark room. If you wake up don't lie there brooding . get up but without any lights and without doing anything but walking around a little or sitting quietly.Repeat as many times as necessary. The "no light" is crucial as light immediately cuts off your melatonin production. Last but not least I would not take melatonin for any length of time. It does not solve matters but it does help when you just need to sleep. It loses effect after a while I find so use sparingly.

Why you ask ? Eating carbs has probably masked a few other problems like a circadian rythm that is off. Doing the above will put you on a more even keel.