Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: caymanmama
adding carbs & gaining weight

Completed step 1 of MM lo-carb plan and lost 8 pounds but look like I lost 18 pounds - feel great. Just introduced more carbs last week following MM step 2 and have gained 2 pounds - followed step 2 faithfully all week. Has this happened to anyone else as you began introducing carbs again? I'm very nervous about this. Thanks for your advice.
caymanmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
to LCF! Congrats on your loss so far.

I don't know what the MM plan is, but if you're adding carbs, does it have you go slowly, so you can see what your optimal level is? I know with Atkins, you go very slowly, adding certain foods in small amounts, so that you can pull back if you go too high.

To answer the second part of your question, no, I keep my carbs very low, and plan to do so even in maintenance. I prefer being in ketosis long-term, for health and weight reasons.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: caymanmama
MM is Metabolism Miracle Plan. Once through 8 weeks of VERY LITTLE carbs, you begin building carbs back - only via certain lo-carb foods - in amounts of 11-20 carbs 5X daily - that is 11-20 carbs every 5 hours without fail and once if a meal with 11-20 carbs is not going to happen within 5 hours of the last meal.
caymanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muttsmom
Stats: 204/183/150
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 07/2008; restart 9/28/2013
I tried to google the plan - not a ton of info on it beyond step one. I guess you have to buy the book.

But if I understood your description, it sounds like step two would move you to 55-100 carbs a day. While that's lower carbs than the average American diet, most here would not consider that low carb. I think most here try to keep their carbs below 30 or 20 per day.

If you have a lot to lose and all those carbs were from veggies, it might work, but my suspicion is that you would lose very slowly. Too much protein can cause the same problems.

Probably didn't help much - maybe there is someone here who is familiar with the plan.
Good luck to you and welcome!
2muttsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
That's a big increase. My guess is that you're moving out of ketosis, which means you'll be regaining the water that your body jettisoned while in ketosis. Your cells need water to process carbs when you're not in ketosis, so you'll likely see a jump on the scale before you start losing scale weight again. It doesn't mean you're not still losing fat, that's hard to tell at this point.

Good luck.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Ntombi is probably right there, adding carbs at this point would just be refilling your glycogen stores and you would see an increase in weight on the scale (water plus glycogen). The danger with reintroducing carbs is: will it eventually lead to overeating. Which is what starts packing on the body fat. Tracking calories to find out if this is happening is a good way to know for sure. I have heard of people gaining almost 10lbs due to water weight and glycogen storage. I think for me it is about 3 to 5lbs.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
That's a big increase. My guess is that you're moving out of ketosis, which means you'll be regaining the water that your body jettisoned while in ketosis. Your cells need water to process carbs when you're not in ketosis, so you'll likely see a jump on the scale before you start losing scale weight again. It doesn't mean you're not still losing fat, that's hard to tell at this point.

Good luck.

One of the biggest 'complaints' of detractors of low carb is that if you go off low carb (which you're doing by increasing your carbs this much right away), you'll gain weight. Uh duh...yeah *BUT* unless you have a problem with carbs (as the metabolically challenged aka diabetics do) or are overeating, this should all even out eventually.

I'm not familiar with MM but many on low carb tend to eat higher calorie as well which doesn't usually work as well with higher carb diets so you might have to keep a close eye on the calories.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Thank you for clarifying this. If I have a high carb day, say more than 60 gm of carbs, I can put on 7 pounds overnight. Conversely, I am able to take this much off, if I lower my carbs to 30 gm per day. I do pretty well, and feel well, at about 50 gm carbs per day.
What never ceases to amaze me is how different everyone's metabolism is....I try to take all suggestions and incorporate them into my life, to see if something works. If it does, great! If it doesn't, more interesting research and reading, is on the way.
I LOVE LOW CARB FRIENDS!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote