Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kennyjofus
Low Carb Lunches at Work?

Hey Everyone,

I'm just getting into a low carb routine. I work a regular office job during the week, and was looking for some good ideas for low carb lunches that I can bring in with me. I know leftovers from the night before always work, but just wanted to see what you other low-carb office workers were doing.

Thanks!
~Kevin
kennyjofus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
Hard steamed eggs......bring mayo in packets egg salad witthout the fuss and ups your fat easily.
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Well, normally it isn't an issue for me because we have a fridge in our office kitchen. However, it has been freezing everything the last few weeks, I told the landlord who doesn't care, so I have just now started to bring things. I made some of Linda Sue's Stuffing Pie in silicone molds (muffin tins cept they are shaped like leaves and pumpkins). I put them in the fridge this morning and they were already frozen, but I heated them up in the microwave so no biggie.

I also keep canned chicken and tuna pouches always, but my mayo is frozen

I found a container of ready made soup at World Market that only had I think 5-6g net carbs and I got one of those to try.

I tend to try to keep a couple Atkins meals in the freezer here as well.

I usually always have stuff here for a protein shake (I keep a mini blender here), but with the fridge freezing, my almond milk freezes.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Salads in a glass jar. That way you can put the dressing on the bottom, and the lettuce and goodies on top. Dump it out on a paper plate and you're good to go. Meat, cheese, and a veggie. Sometimes I skip the veggie. Pizza toppings layered in a nuke-safe container and cooked when you are ready to eat. Pepperoni chips and dip. Just listings some of the easier, tastier options. Canned tuna and I don't get along, but many love it. Super easy too.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angel baby
Stats: start 228/ current 221/goal 170
WOE: atkins
Start Date: August 2013
I like to take 10 or so low sodium salami slices( I am trying to keep the sodium limited for blood pressure reasons) and I fill them with some cream cheese ,I mix some chives and garlic into the cream cheese and use it for the filling. I also like to use it in smoked (raw) salmon as well. I cut up half of a cucumber and then I dip it into some homeade atkins ranch dressing! Enjoy!
angel baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #6

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I walk home for lunch... and I also walk my dog once I am there. So although I am home for lunch, I don't have time to prepare much. Lately my go-to lunch is a pre-portioned salad from Wal-Mart ($2-something each). They have chef's salad, cesar, cobb, etc. Wal-Mart also has the Atkins frozen meals. Another option is to cook extra for dinner the evening before, and re-heat the "left overs" for lunch the next day.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I bring an Atkins frozen meal and a couple of fat bombs to work most days for lunch.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/131/115; 5'4", 48 yrs.
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Salad w/ hard boiled eggs
egg salad
tuna salad
salmon patties
strips of sautéed chicken breasts
all manor of leftovers like Paleo white chili, beef stew, meatloaf
steamed veggies, i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, carrots
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
My lunch has become exciting(for me anyway) since discovering Julian Bakery's paleo wraps. I feel like I can have a "sandwich" again while still avoiding grains. I do tuna salad, egg salad, or deli turkey. I'm thinking about trying a cheese quesadilla soon.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
First off, ! I don't do the office thing any more but when I did, I like lunchmeat with some cream cheese with chives. Just take a piece, smear some over it and roll up. They have cream cheese with jalapeño now too.. Those were always a big hit. Even the body builder in the office loved them!

Don't know if you cook but deviled eggs are good too. But, you are right it was usually leftovers... I like the pepperoni chips and dip too. Guacamole comes to mind. Just take a microwave safe plate and put a paper towel on it. Then as many pepperoni slices as you want or will fit. Nuke until crisp, start with a minute and go from there, depending on how many are on the plate... Hope this helps a little..

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
1. Tuna 'salad'...mix a can of drained tuna with shredded lettuce and mayo (if you are concerned about smell, fix this at home....put the tuna in the bottom of a bowl, then your mayo with you lettuce on top. If you like pork skins, use them for your crackers...yum !
2. Don't know if you have them in your area, but we have canned Vienna sausages. They aren't a wonderful gourmet meal by any means, but the are portable. I always keep a can on hand when nothing else is available.
3. There are several days a week that I don't eat breakfast or lunch at all...some people may call that IF. I, on the other hand, call it TLTFA...To Lazy To Fix Anything
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maureenlw
Start Date: 5/13/2013
I bring my breakfast, lunch and snacks.

Breakfast is pretty much snacks. I bring 1/2 cup blueberries (once or twice a week), almonds, flax seed muffins, 1oz of cheese, black olives, celery with laughing cow cheese wedges or almond butter. Sometimes I make flax crackers and use a spreadable flavored low carb cheese. Chia pudding is a favorite of mine.

For lunch, Sandwich on a flax bun used to be a staple, but I discovered cheddar biscuits and like those better (linda sue's site). I use low carb torilas as well.

And sometimes I actually bring in leftovers such as lasagna guts (all the meat and cheeses, but no noodles), stuffed zucchini, spinach salad with bacon & cheese.

Sometimes I will make a low carb soup and as others said lots of other types of leftovers.

Our office has all the amenities with microwaves and two fridges. It is as if I am at home.
Maureenlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
If your office mates dont mind, canned sardines in mustard or hot sauce are good.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I only get about 20 minutes for lunch since I'm a teacher so I do need things that can be reheated pretty quickly. Since it is just me at home, I usually freeze the leftovers from dishes I cook in lunch size portions and bring one of those with me to work. Sometimes I will do a salad, but I have sort of burned myself out on them. Something I really like for a quick fix are those already cooked bags of grilled chicken strips or chunks that come in small bags. I will have a serving of the chicken with some low carb barbeque sauce or topped with taco sauce a little green onion, and shredded cheese. It makes for an easy lunch.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Okay...here are some ideas I used for when I worked in an office. And, I did the last time that I did lowcarb.

Grilled asparagus dipped in hollendaise sauce
Deviled eggs
Jalapeno poppers~jalapeno seeded and halved, filled with cream cheese then wrapped in bacon and baked at 350 until crisp. About 20-25 minutes.
Slices of cheese and lunch meat, make your own lunchables without the crackers.
Rotisserie chicken dipped in ranch (I always used the packet and mixed it with sour cream)
Cheese crackers (cut a slice of american cheese into 16 little squares, microwave on wax paper for 1 minute, turns into crackers) and ANY kind of dip (crab dip, spinach dip, veggie dip, or a home made one)
Pork rinds and tuna salad
Sugar free Jello cup

These are just a few of the things I used to take into lunch. And...I gotta tell you people were jealous

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aDerpyPenguin
I have some type of salad every day. I know it's not for everyone, but I have always loved salads so it works for me. Usually throw in steak or chicken with some bacon bits and parmesan cheese. Dressing usually rotate between ranch, caesar and balsamic vinaigrette. I throw the salad in a tupperware, place a paper towel/napkin over that to absorb moisture, on top of the napkin I have all my meat/cheese in a little baggy and my dressing in a small cup (like you'd get from burger joints). I'll store them in the fridge like this and then when I leave for work I put an icepack in with it to keep it cool.
aDerpyPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
I work 11 hour shifts, I keep things simple and boring, 2 salads and a snack. The snack used to be a 50g block of cheddar, more recently it has been a small packet of pork rinds as I felt I wasn't getting enough sodium in my diet and I wanted to reduce my dairy, just to see what happens.

Salads are the same, chicken and mixed leaves, just different homemade dressings on each to spice things up. Homemade ceasar style, and a Cajun inspired one, basically they're 3parts mayo, 1 part olive oil, and the differences are the spices. I make them the night before and fridge them overnight, no fridge in my "office" so they sit out all day, no illness so far.

I like to have a routine, I think it's important to be organised on this woe as well, you can always experiment and have fancy things on your days off, I don't find it boring but I know others would.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #18
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
You can buy the individual packets of mustard, mayo, salad dressings, pickle relish, sour cream, etc online, too.
Pouches of tuna, salmon or chicken along with a condiment packet or 2 or 3 (lol) make a quick meal on the run.
If you're not averse to them, the low-carb tortillas and pitas (Joseph's and Mama Lupe's can be found on Netrition, this sites sponsor)also make an easy meal.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
My lunch has become exciting(for me anyway) since discovering Julian Bakery's paleo wraps. I feel like I can have a "sandwich" again while still avoiding grains. I do tuna salad, egg salad, or deli turkey. I'm thinking about trying a cheese quesadilla soon.
I'm intrigued. Didn't know they were making wraps now.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I really wish I could try these without spending $10 on shipping for one package.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Another one of my faves is salami tacos Not really tacos lol. Take a slice of salami, put a dab of cream cheese on it, and the fold it in half like a taco! I make like 5 or 6 of them, and that is a great quick lunch too
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
If you have a fridge & microwave at work....I make a hot meal every day that is very satisfying. I make it the night before. I alternate between cooked chicken or hamburger patties & cooked veggies & put it all in the same container & heat it up. I have also made chicken stir fry. I only take a 10 min lunch, but still have enough time to heat & eat this. I prefer my main meal for lunch instead of supper, so I eat my salad for supper.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
I have a variety of things I rotate:

Egg or chicken salad with lots of mayo. Sometimes with lettuce, sometimes just straight on a spoon.

Grilled chicken breasts and tossed with coleslaw. Makes a nice change from typical salad.

Ground beef with LC marinara topped with cheese. Put in a Tupperware bowl and heat up when ready.

Quiche. This can be heated or eaten cold. Very satisfying and I always get co-workers eyeing it up and asking what I'm eating that looks so good.

Grilled burger patty topped with cheese.

Chicken wings.

Frittatta. I make a spinach and gorgonzola one in a small round pan. Fits easily in a quart size ziplock bag and heats up easily.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I almost always do leftovers and if not either a salad or my fave, cheeseburger patties w/ toppings. Toppings are whatever I have in the fridge, half an avocado, jalapeno rings, spicy mayo, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, mustard, etc. I always have ground beef and it only take a minute or two in the evening to fry up some patties and pack for the next day.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
This week I've been having slices of fresh mozzarella topped with tomato and bacon. I just pick them up and eat them.
Acor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I just started my first ever office job this week! I had an omelet, some snap peas and some grape tomatoes. It was phenomenal! Anything that can sustain room temperature is an excellent option. Casseroles, lasagnas, omelets, you name it.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I usually bring soup or a salad.

I love that salad from marks daily apple website with hard boiled eggs, bacon, tomato, and avocado -squeeze lemon over the avocado and add salt and pepper to taste.

Other ideas:
Cocktail shrimp... If you can't find a low carb cocktail sauce, use a mayo/mustard blend
Cold buffalo chicken wings dipped in ranch, with celery and carrots othe side
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fun w son
Stats: 283/269/200
WOE: not sure?
Start Date: July 13, 2013
on sunday's I lite the grill for the game. So i just throw a few extra breast or patties on there for the week. that afternoon i fix 5 tupperware containers with meat and veggies. take them all to work on Monday and i'm set for the week! i keep porkskins,almonds,tuna, and cheese for snacks.... one afternoon of prep and i'm ready for the week!
fun w son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
I smoke a brisket/roast once or twice a week and cut it up into small pieces (so I don’t have to bring a knife into a federal facility). I usually throw in a single serve Tillamook cheese, emerald nut 100 cal almond pack, and maybe a couple sliced of salami. Between that and a coffee/protein shake w/MCT oil in the morning I’m good to go till the afternoon.

Also I do canned chicken w/mayo & pickles. You can sub tuna if thats your thing too.
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote