LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: 292.2/261.6/145 5ft4in
WOE: Induction
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
"One Day at a Time" "Live in the Now"

"One Day at a Time" "Live in the Now" are two clichés that I have heard all my life. As someone who has a lot of weight to loose, I have hated these two sayings. Impatience and greed have derailed me over and over again. But now that I'm getting older I'm realizing that I have to accept and embrace these two sayings. Even with the best case scenario of rate of weight loss, I'm looking at a long journey.

Right now I'm visualizing my fat loss like saving money. Every behavior is contributing to my savings account. Every time I pass up carbs, every day I stay on plan, I'm putting money into the account. Little by little I will build a savings account of fat loss. The little doesn't seem like a lot at first but it grows over time into something significant.

What helps you stay living in the current 24hrs and living in the now? What helps keep the impatience and greed at bay?
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Those sayings were my downfalls during the time I was gaining weight and when I started Atkins.

I would justify eating crap because it would taste good and I didn't care about the consequences. I had to look to the future - the next day, the next month, and next year. Because one day of bad eating is objectively not that bad and easily undone, the problem is when you start stringing a whole bunch of those days together because you want to enjoy stuff now and lose sight of the future. All of a sudden it's a year later and you are xx pounds fatter. I had to start considering the future - this meal will taste good for 30 mins, how will it make me feel later? Is it worth? Usually the answer was no.

On the other hand, I like to stop and enjoy my meals and really taste them and be present in the moment instead of watching tv or doing something else.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBelle View Post
"One Day at a Time" "Live in the Now" are two clichés that I have heard all my life. As someone who has a lot of weight to loose, I have hated these two sayings. Impatience and greed have derailed me over and over again. But now that I'm getting older I'm realizing that I have to accept and embrace these two sayings. Even with the best case scenario of rate of weight loss, I'm looking at a long journey.

Right now I'm visualizing my fat loss like saving money. Every behavior is contributing to my savings account. Every time I pass up carbs, every day I stay on plan, I'm putting money into the account. Little by little I will build a savings account of fat loss. The little doesn't seem like a lot at first but it grows over time into something significant.

What helps you stay living in the current 24hrs and living in the now? What helps keep the impatience and greed at bay?
!!! What helps me is a little app on my phone called Buddha Board. I write anything that is bothering me at the moment on that board and within 3 minutes it fades away! It's to teach me that nothing is permanent and that even my darkest moments will "fade away" and I need to live for right now before IT fades away, too! Helps a whole lot when I'm feeling like I'm not making any headway in my weight loss and normal eating habits!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
It helps me to remember that it's a good thing that I'm not losing as quickly these days as I used to. I never made this a permanent WOE. So the longer it takes me to lose it, the more likely it is that I'm making this a new lifestyle and I won't have to face the losing battle again.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I no longer believe in weight loss goals so I am not in a hurry to "meet goal" or be "done" with a diet.

I'm working to be the best "me" I can be & I intend to do that forever. I finally found the nutrition I can eat forever & be perfectly happy with. No cravings, no temptations. I'm not looking for days off for birthday cakes or holiday treats. Nutritionally speaking, I'm home. I thank God every day for this blessing.

I'm very much aware that I'm doing something few people manage to do. I'm in the middle of a major transformation that is 100% my own doing. I'm losing fat at a healthy rate & inches like crazy. Faster would be unhealthy & I have no interest in losing precious muscle. Sure, it would be kind of fun to wake up tomorrow & have some dream body but then I'd miss all the joys of getting there. I want to experience each and every one!

I don't look at this as a long, hard journey I have to endure. This is my life & I love it. Every single day.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

I don't look at this as a long, hard journey I have to endure. This is my life & I love it. Every single day.

Oh my gosh !! I LOVE this !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
I'm not looking for days off for birthday cakes or holiday treats. Nutritionally speaking, I'm home. I thank God every day for this blessing.
This is what I am striving for...

Quote:
This is awesome! I think after years of low carbing off and on I am there. It's is just how I need to eat. Period. All the knowledge in the world doesn't make me immune from the consequences of bad choices.

Losing weight should be the beginning of the journey to being healthy for life. That way once you are at goal, you don't think now what...

Here are two things, two of my daughters said: "I can eat that crap, as long as I accept I'll feel and look like crap" then "hmm... "Am I ready to stop being fat?" Made me stop and think..

Don't know if that answered the question! But good question!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I have a different feeling about it. I did and do feel like my long period of weight loss was something to be endured, and it was hard, and that's okay with me. I was grateful for every single pound on the way down and it was a pretty slow and steady loss for me, but I do not want to do it again--any more than I want to have, say, high blood pressure again so I can experience the relief of getting on medication and feeling better. Or any more than I would want to be in a bad relationship again so I can feel all elated and good about myself when I get out of it. Some things in life don't need to be celebrated or repeated, just endured and then you're hopefully done with that. That's my big picture and it keeps me in check more than focusing on the moment or the here and now.

The thing about maintenance vs. weight loss is, I was doing all the same work I still do now and yet I was not at a weight that looked and felt how I wanted. Now I get to enjoy being this size and weight every day. That's a lot more motivating to me.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
!!! What helps me is a little app on my phone called Buddha Board. I write anything that is bothering me at the moment on that board and within 3 minutes it fades away! It's to teach me that nothing is permanent and that even my darkest moments will "fade away" and I need to live for right now before IT fades away, too! Helps a whole lot when I'm feeling like I'm not making any headway in my weight loss and normal eating habits!
I so love this. Along the same lines, I keep a 'favorite quotes' list which I refer to for inspiration and strength ~

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world."

And 2 from Peace Pilgrim:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are you would never think another negative thought."
"I don't eat junk food and I don't think junk thoughts."
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
The thing about maintenance vs. weight loss is, I was doing all the same work I still do now and yet I was not at a weight that looked and felt how I wanted. Now I get to enjoy being this size and weight every day. That's a lot more motivating to me.
I feel this way, too. I am now only about 23 pounds from goal, which is amazing to me. And I feel soooo much better and I know I look a ton better. But my loss has slowed down so much that I don't really expect to ever get to my goal, even though it is a fairly reasonable goal at the top of the bmi "healthy" category. I think I averaged .75 pounds/month the last couple of months. lol

And once I get to my goal, I do think I'll do things a little differently. Right now my diet is so restrictive. I eat between 7 and 12 g carb a day. I think at goal I might be able to go up a bit, maybe have some green leafies on a fairly regular basis and some berries here and there. I had berries a couple of days ago and gained a pound. That wouldn't be a big deal if I were at my goal weight. If I had berries every ten days or so and my weight went up a pound and came down over the next few days, no biggy. But when you're losing .75 pounds/month that pound is a hard pill to swallow.

So, if it takes me five years to reach my goal, I'll be bummed bc I don't really want to give up on my goal, but at some point I do think I'm going to have to loosen up a bit. This is just over-the-top restrictive.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maureenlw
Start Date: 5/13/2013
Nice post!

Interesting how you likened it to financials. Good analogy! Like it!

Everyday, I try to find a change in my body, my clothes or my attitude.

For a while I just plugged along doing what I was supposed to be doing and not thinking about it. Change is not instant.

Then I woke up one day and realized my migraines were gone. Whoa. Big Big change. No migraines? I did not even notice? Whoa.

When I realized it did not hurt as much to go up and down the stairs I was thrilled. I'm still tentative about stairs and I'm surprised each time I have no pain in my quads.

Then my clothes started to be looser and then it really started to sink in as I could actually SEE it. I'd post on facebook everyday that this was too big and because it was too big I could stay on my diet another day.

Another day came and something else was too big and I could stay on my diet another day.

Then I fit into a pair of jeans again and it kept me on my diet just another day.

Then...when I started to get double glances again from men I knew I was at the edge of the game again. I could stay yet just one more day.

THEN, people in general started to be nicer again and held open doors. Yes, fat people are initially treated differently no matter how nice they are or how much they smile. I could stay on my diet another day....

At the end of the day, I'd review my day and find something good that was a direct result of my diet and hold onto that until the next little good thing came along.

Sometimes I'd have to hold on for a week. I still have a lot of weight to loose, but I see changes, others see changes....and when I feel like I am a big wildabeast and nobody thinks I am pretty I think about I don't have migraines because of the way of eating I am on. I think that I can sleep better, I can cross my legs, I can get dressed and go out and do things without agonizing that nothing fits me and I have nothing to wear.

I am better off and I hold that dear. It takes time. It will happen..... baby steps. I just have to let go and let it.... do what I am supposed to and find joy in TODAY and be happy with ME today. =)
Maureenlw is offline   Reply With Quote