LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Constant grazing

Ok so this standing in front of the fridge habit has to stop.
Example day yesterday.

Coffee hwc and CO breakfast.. That's fine.

There wasn't a lunch, we were out garage sale shopping, came home with furniture and we were busy loading, unloading cleaning from behind stuff we were moving around, me.... 4 strips of fajita meat, then 10 mins later.. 2 artichoke hearts(left it on the counter beside the fridge)... 20 mins later on another mini break, 2 more artichoke hearts, add cheese stick, and 2 queen green olives, hour later left over cold grilled chicken breast, maybe another hour later.. 2 table spoons of cream cheese(end of the package) and a hb egg.

All the while getting stuff done that's been on my projects list for awhile.

Dinner ended up being the same way, we had ppl over and grilled outside, I was in the kitchen getting the food to grill ready while chatting with the gal population of our guests and I was constantly doing... A bite of this, a bite of that... Dinner ready by this time and I didn't even bother with a plate, was really enjoying the company for the most part. But looking back this morning it was because I had grazed my way into being full while making dinner. Guests leave and I found myself standing at the counter eating cold leftover from dinner boiled shrimp dipped in the open sour cream container I was putting away.

Ok y'all get the picture... This continued most of the day and night and I find myself doing it a lot. All legal foods yes, but because I finally!!! Feel like being productive and energetic I am not stopping and eating a meal and then stopping til another meal. Constant snacking on legal foods. I am pretty sure if I plugged it all in to see my ratios I would have been way over on calories and proteins.

Anyone else do this constant grazing thing as often as I do? I know that it's a bad habit for me because it is how I got to 225 lbs with high carb foods. It feels like I have no discipline when it comes to legal food.

This behavior wouldn't be such an issue for me if it wasn't happening 3-4 times a week. So for anyone else that lives a lifestyle like this, do you handle it or let it happen?
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I have had trouble with this off and on. It was what I had been doing for decades before I started low carb, so was an ingrained habit. The way I handle it now is to plan eating times and don't eat in between. Even now I sometimes eat when I'm not hungry, just to maintain the schedule.

It's better for me to do that than fall back into lack of structure.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I graze when I don't eat sufficient meals. The problem is that it leads to over eating but if you spread out what you would eat and the foods are legal it shouldn't matter really. There are a lot of theories two big meals vs several small meals vs three meals etc...I think our lives and our nutrient needs change daily and you need to go with what yiur body needs and your lifestyle dictates.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I sit down and eat meals when I get hungry.
I don't grab a snack and run around doing things while I'm chewing it.
To me, sitting down to a meal is part of eating mindfully.

At parties where there's noshing instead of a meal, I make a small plate and sit down to eat it. Then I make another small plate a couple hours later. For me, this works better than just picking things out one at a time to nibble.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan1030
Stats: 170/168/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
I graze when I don't eat sufficient meals. The problem is that it leads to over eating but if you spread out what you would eat and the foods are legal it shouldn't matter really. There are a lot of theories two big meals vs several small meals vs three meals etc...I think our lives and our nutrient needs change daily and you need to go with what yiur body needs and your lifestyle dictates.
Ditto for me too. I am a horrible planner and I think that has an effect on my lack of "stick with it-ness" doing LC.
susan1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
I graze when I don't eat sufficient meals. The problem is that it leads to over eating but if you spread out what you would eat and the foods are legal it shouldn't matter really.
This is me. I graze if I do not eat proper meals. I require being full. If not full I wander and find stuff to put in my mouth.

I eat bigger meals to be sure that I don't graze. grazing leads to bad things for me most times.

OP, I used to graze alot more than before. I think part of it is habit also. Just to bend the elbow. Longer and longer on plan most grazing is gone now, but if I don't fill up on proper meals than grazing can happen for me.

hang in there! You will find a way around it. time to kick the habit and eat meals!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I don't have this problem, but it seems like one thing you could do is if you see it coming, like you're just having one of those days, make yourself a lunch plate and then pick from it all afternoon. That way you have control over what and how much and you know when it's gone, lunch is over.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
....one thing you could do is if you see it coming, like you're just having one of those days, make yourself a lunch plate and then pick from it all afternoon. That way you have control over what and how much and you know when it's gone, lunch is over.
I like this idea! Then, at least it's a controlled grazing...
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Hi my name is Anna, and I am a grazer...........

Quote:
Spanilingo I graze when I don't eat sufficient meals. The problem is that it leads to over eating but if you spread out what you would eat and the foods are legal it shouldn't matter really. There are a lot of theories two big meals vs several small meals vs three meals etc...I think our lives and our nutrient needs change daily and you need to go with what yiur body needs and your lifestyle dictates.

Quote:
rubidoux I don't have this problem, but it seems like one thing you could do is if you see it coming, like you're just having one of those days, make yourself a lunch plate and then pick from it all afternoon. That way you have control over what and how much and you know when it's gone, lunch is over.

For me I know it is a BAD habbit. Good luck
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks y'all for the comments,

I did a little better today and I realize I absolutely have to make myself sit and eat lunch, without interruption. We came in from more projects and I m warmed up left over steak and shrimp. Ate that and then only had one foray into the fridge for a hard salami slice. Then dinner was a terrific shrimp salad I made with the rest of the boiled shrimp. We'll see if I can make it the night without grazing!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
If you aren't losing interest in food between meals it might be because your diet is too low in fibre. One of the issues with low carb, especially if you are counting total carbs, is that you aren't getting enough fibre to keep you feeling full. For some people protein works because it takes a long time to digest, for others it means more fibre. You can get it through veggies/fruits or supplements. You can also bake with it or use it in food preparation. Things like psyllium husks, Glucomannan powder and oat Fiber.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
If you aren't losing interest in food between meals it might be because your diet is too low in fibre. One of the issues with low carb, especially if you are counting total carbs, is that you aren't getting enough fibre to keep you feeling full. For some people protein works because it takes a long time to digest, for others it means more fibre. You can get it through veggies/fruits or supplements. You can also bake with it or use it in food preparation. Things like psyllium husks, Glucomannan powder and oat Fiber.
That's not necessarily true. Maybe for some people, but for me being in ketosis and eating plenty of fat keeps me from being hungry. I don't need to eat a lot of fiber, and I don't need to feel full all the time, I don't want to.

OP (Susan), are you grazing because you are actually hungry, or because the food is "there", you're bored, you're thinking about food, you just want something in your mouth, etc.?

Last edited by Mistizoom; 10-07-2013 at 06:22 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I think there are a combo of reasons I do this, I am in ketosis better than I ever have been on LC and I'm prob more thirsty than hungry and I'm confusing signals. So I need to really listen to what my body is telling me in that respect. And I may have to literally stop and ask myself if I'm hungry or just thirsty? Like out loud lol.

Hungry yes, Saturday I was actually hungry and had no time, so I need to plan better and not let days like that happen as often.

And also, I smoke. And so between the ketosis and smoking I have the awful breath of a smoker ( yeah I know, but let's save that addiction for another thread someday) and a ketosis dragon. And eating just a bite of something takes that taste away. So I need to go back to the paragraph above and drink more water to solve both the breath and and the thirst/hungry? Issue.

Bored? Maybe.. I am missing some old LC food habits, like chips n dips and things like that. I have pretty much winged doing LC since august with meat eggs and cheeses and fats. I think I am at the point where I need to get a little more adventurous in my cooking to take care of the longing for old hc crap. I need to take some time and find some LC recipes and methods that work for my tastes, budget, and time allowance.

As for the ending of last night I did better after getting full and satisfied at dinner and didn't graze until bedtime except I had a small forkful of kerrygold butter before I went to bed.

I'll keep plugging away at this until I find the right way for me. Just is confusing sometimes. Thanks again for the responses folks, it helps!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I graze too when I don't eat a satisfying enough meal earlier in the day . Box totally works most of the time . As I am out of co ( waaahh) I had plain coffee today with one egg slice of bacon. An hour later I was standing in front of fridge... Ended up having two more fried eggs with another slice of bacon. That did the trick. Enough protein and fat early and I probably won't think of eating again til dinner time. I am also guilty of tasting my way through the cooking process if I'm really hungry while cooking... Plenty of water and a small snack or broth an hour or two before I start dinner tends to help if I'm having a really hungry day ...
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
BPC not box lol
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
Grazing was a major problem for me pre LC. I would do alright until lunch, and then I'd want to snack until dinner. It was ridiculous.

I'm doing really well on VLC (20-30 g per day), but I sometimes still feel that urge in the afternoon. These days, a hot mug of tea with HWC most often satisfies me and takes long enough to sip while the urge passes.

I think old habits die hard?
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I definitely find that if I eat a filling, satisfying meal, I don't have that urge to graze or snack.... but if I don't eat a filling meal, I definitely find myself just wanting to munch my way through the day. So I try to make sure that when I'm hungry, I eat something that fills me up, and not just a snack.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I was a grazer as well and when I'd do low carb (which I've done off and on since 1972), I continued the grazing habit but still lost weight.

As a diabetic, I can't do that anymore. I eat 3 meals only to control how often my body pushes insulin into my system...which controls the insulin resistance which leads me right back to having to take medication rather than controlling my diabetes through diet.

I guess I'd say if you aren't diabetic and grazing works for you...why change what works?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
One other suggestion- either put an app on your phone or have a tablet on the counter, and write down every bite. You may be consuming a lot more than you realize. Writing it down helps keep me in check.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
That's not necessarily true. Maybe for some people, but for me being in ketosis and eating plenty of fat keeps me from being hungry. I don't need to eat a lot of fiber, and I don't need to feel full all the time, I don't want to.

OP (Susan), are you grazing because you are actually hungry, or because the food is "there", you're bored, you're thinking about food, you just want something in your mouth, etc.?
I said "some" people, not all.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I said "some" people, not all.
True, I was responding more to the part where you said people eating LC don't get enough fiber. Fiber isn't a necessary component of the LC diet.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote