Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Fallen off wagon, big time (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/814000-fallen-off-wagon-big-time.html)

Suzee 10-05-2013 07:21 PM

Fallen off wagon, big time

Hi. Lots of things happening in the last month or so, with both sides of the family and the stress is incredible. We're trying to manage it, but I have been eating all the wrong things. Finally kicked myself in the fanny today.

Is there a simple, very simple menu for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner that I can do that will clear out my system? I've got to get back on track. It's very hard to focus on anything, lately.

:help:

Thank you.

Blue Skies 10-05-2013 08:03 PM

Hey Suzee, something in the stars lately I think. SO many people I know are under a great deal of stress lately, myself included.

I can't give you a simple menu that will suit your tastes, except maybe to do the just meat and eggs thing for a week. Personally, I could not do this. I don't do well w/deprivation and lack of variety in my woe.

So what I would say is it's back to the same old, and you know it well. Imo, Keep your carbs to an average of 30 a day, but w/in that parameter, eat what you like. And drink water, lots and lots of water. I absolutely drop bloat AND weight faster on LC when I have good water days---which means for me, at least 6 to 8 glasses a day, and more if I can manage it.

Focus and determination takes a hit under a lot of stress, no doubt about it. But gaining back what you've lost will only increase the bad feelings, been there done that. In hard times,sometimes when we choose just one thing to not let go of, to put our focus on, it makes us feel better about all the other things.

Good luck, and hang in there with us. This too shall pass.

girondet 10-05-2013 08:44 PM

:goodpost:I find it hard to deprive myself in that type of circumstance too, especially hard when I'm already down on myself for gaining back. I vote going back to what you were doing before you went off plan just as though you never did, and in the long run it really won't matter so much.

Best wishes you get past this quickly and get motivated again.:hugs:

Midlyfechrysalis 10-05-2013 09:44 PM

{{hugs}}

I don't have a menu idea to help you beyond a "induction style" intervention to kick the carb craving routine.

But what I do have is a decade of stress behind me. I'm talking high level stress (divorces, chronic illness, chronic illness in a child, 2-3 jobs at a time, bankruptcy, foreclosure...........)

I have found it very hard to get consistently back to low carb. What I've decided this time, based on my previous experience is that life happens and I will never, ever find a time that is easy or perfect to do this deal for real.

And, so I made the decision to do this deal no.matter.what.

I've made a similar decision about going off plan. If I allow myself to do so at special events, I'm toast (oops, not low carb). I had to make a commitment to stay on plan regardless of work, birthdays, my sister coming at the end of this month.........

I wouldn't want anyone to have the added stress and burden of not getting healthier ON TOP of stress; it has not helped my life.

dgidaho 10-05-2013 09:49 PM

Suzee, I'm so sorry for the stress you're under right now! :console: Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes mental energy to eat properly and sometimes the reserves have simply been drained.

It's good that you want to make this as simple as you can while you weather the storm. I'm certainly not an expert, and I don't know your tastes, but here's what I would do:

1. Boil a dozen eggs and keep them in the fridge. These are awesome when hunger strikes and it's not a good time to cook. Sometimes I eat them when they don't even sound good because they satisfy hunger for a long time. You can throw some mayo and mustard on them for deviled eggs, eat them plain with salt &/or pepper, chop one up in a salad--or add it to chicken/tuna/ham salad...

2. Purchase some pre-made hamburger patties. Quick and easy on the grill, in the oven, a skillet, or George Foreman grill.

3. Buy a bag of grilled chicken strips. These are easy to throw in a skillet with vegetables (keep some frozen veggies in the freezer--no chopping/washing/prepping) and a little soy sauce, or toss the strips on a salad.

4. Buy some canned tuna or chicken for a quick salad. Mix with mayo and any seasonings you want. Eat wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Takes less than 5 minutes from can opener to eating.

5. Keep cheese sticks or squares on hand.

6. Keep almonds on hand.

7. Not the best choice, but get some Atkin's shakes or other low carb bars or drinks, or frozen meals, for emergencies. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...

Hang in there!

theredhead 10-06-2013 05:45 AM

Linda Sue has a nice assortment of induction menus on her website, many with recipes. Check it out:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Induction Menus

clackley 10-06-2013 06:08 AM

The best thing you can do is to get back on plan. It can really help deal with stress. I would suggest doing an Atkins induction for the recommended time of 2 wks. Just google it with the words 'atkins Program Phase-1 to Do Induction Right. And don't forget to use us as your support.

Biochic 10-06-2013 06:12 AM

I would eat legal foods that you really enjoy.

One of my favorite things is.... Paula Dean's cheese artichoke dip. I add chicken, Italian sausage or shrimp to that. It is so good! I'm also a big fan of roasted veggies. Eating things I love helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

Suzee 10-06-2013 07:59 AM

Thank you for the great suggestions! I really appreciate them. :up:

We've added financial stuff to the mix, and that prompted the meltdown, so to speak.

Started off again this morning, good. Scrambled egg with turkey bacon. Put some cheese and kale in the eggs, too. :)

And, thank you for sharing how you "get through it". It really does help with the mental motivation.

:hugs: to those of you who sound like you are still under a lot of stress.

lterry913 10-06-2013 08:15 AM

When we get stressed every thing seems out of control and things just get out of hand...take control of you and what you eat...this is the one thing you can control...it may make you feel a lil stronger if you can take control of just that one thing...no matter what stress there is you have to take care of you so that you can help with the issues at hand...if you feel hopeless because you can't even control what you eat you may feel that if you can't even help yourself how can you be worthy of helping others?
This is just my opinion and a lil kick in the behind(fanny) for you so you can see that you are the most important factor...take care of you so you can be well enough mentally and physically to help others.
Just go back to simple low carb foods...nothing fancy...whole foods and drink lots of fluids.
you can do this meat, veggies, eggs, cheese, salad, maybe nuts...you know the drill...now take care of you and then the stressors.
Good luck and I hope the stress lessens soon...we have all be there.

If you can do nuts make a batch of almond/flax MIM and freeze them so you can grab and go...like pumpkin,cinnamon, choclate etc. I just make a big batch of muffin mix an then flavor it as I like and bake uo a dozen at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.

trishthedish 10-07-2013 07:56 AM

Whenever I need to get back into ketosis ASAP, I follow a basic food plan like this:

B- Bacon, eggs, coffee
S- Coffee
L- Protein with fat (mayo, dressing, oil) and 1 cup lettuce
S- Coffee
D- Protein with 3/4 cup of vegetable and butter

... and I am on day 1 of this today because I have made terrible choices for two weeks!!!

Suzee 10-08-2013 05:09 PM

Trish...Can I use shredded broccoli slaw for the lettuce? Or would that screw things up? Turkey bacon okay? Ranch dressing okay? I've got lots of chicken breasts, plain, that I've cooked up. Trying to use what I have here. :)

trishthedish 10-08-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzee (Post 16635889)
Trish...Can I use shredded broccoli slaw for the lettuce? Or would that screw things up? Turkey bacon okay? Ranch dressing okay? I've got lots of chicken breasts, plain, that I've cooked up. Trying to use what I have here. :)

I'd toss that chicken, the broccoli slaw, and the ranch all together to make an awesome salad and eat it for lunch each day till it runs out! I can't speak to turkey bacon since I've never used it, but if that's all you have, I say start with that. Maybe even crumble some turkey bacon into the salad. Yum!

Suzee 10-08-2013 06:11 PM

THANK YOU!!!! :)

Aomiel 10-09-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzee (Post 16632116)
Is there a simple, very simple menu for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner that I can do that will clear out my system? I've got to get back on track. It's very hard to focus on anything, lately.

I don't need the variety that some do, so when I find myself 'emotionally craving' comfort foods, I drop back to what some call an egg fast. I'll eat 2 eggs scrambled and cooked in butter for breakfast, maybe an omelet of 2-3 eggs for lunch and same for dinner. I might also devil 3 eggs as a meal. At least for me, going plain and simple works. I usually find that after a day or two of this, I feel so good that the stress is actually easier to deal with.

Suzee 11-17-2013 05:57 PM

Hello again. Been out to visit my Mom again. Just got back. Super high stress this time. Her friends appeared to be assessing my appearance and what I ate. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but a lot has been going on in my home life, and I just did not need the "inspection". To top it off, when I talked to my Mom tonight, she said she discussed my clothes with her friends and will be sending me a check for new clothes...as a Christmas present.

I am very happy that she is having good days right now, as you never know when the bad ones will come around again. However, this is exactly the sort of thing that drives me nuts. I have eaten almost my weight in bread products over the last week and I feel lousy and the scale is creeping up again.

I have got to do something to manage this. To top it off, my daughter will be showing up during my next visit to Mom at Christmas time. She is manipulative, self-centered and I won't go into the rest. She is a link to my son who is totally worthless. I will have to be on my toes, on my game and hyper alert for almost 4 days running. I'm not sure about sleep. She will be staying at my Mom's condo with me. I will be with her when she and Mom interact...all the time. I will have to know where she is until 8 PM when Mom's facility closes and after 8 AM, when it opens. I'm going to talk to her about it, and hope she won't cause problems.

So, any helpful suggestions to manage stress would be GREAT!!! :help: