Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Exercise.......

I'm not a fan. I'm not sedentary, but I have never met a form of exercise I truly enjoy, even as my younger thinner self. Just not my thing. I know it works to lose weight low carbing without exercise. All good for me!

Anyway, I thought as the weather is nice, and some interesting stuff is happening about our house ( new electric poles going in ) I'd get the kids out walking about the streets. So did that a few days last week. Weig in on Thurs I was up 200g on scale weight, but wasn't bothered..... Today, Saturday I put on some shorts from last summer that fit well!!! So I weighed myself and I was down 1.5kg from Thursday! My loss is usually slooooooooow, I'm ok with that it's not a race...but that was like wow! And I've decided maybe I will have to like exercise if it's going to give me those kind of results!

Anyone else find exercise was what they needed to shift things along?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
About 4-5 years ago I did an experiment. I decided to start walking 30 minutes a day (at the prodding of my doctor at the time). So I also cut back on some foods and tried the eat every 3-4 hours thing. So I started with 30 min. a day. Then worked up to 45 minutes and so on. Then I planned out a few routes for variety sake. One was 1.5 miles. A couple of others were 1 mile but 2 different routes.

So after about 3 months I'd lost about 20 pounds! It got so I really Liked walking and missed it if I didn't one day. The dog really enjoyed it too! We went down to a dog park often that turned into my resting place while she played or I'd throw a ball for her. It was just about 3/4 mile there so it turned into 1.5 miles round trip.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
i don't do it for weight loss; i do it to improve my health. i go to the gym 3x/week and mainly do weights. i walk outside a couple of times a week. if i don't exercise for a while my legs cramp and my lower back starts to ache.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Exercise is not necessary for weight loss. The type of diet doesn't matter; it has nothing to do with LC.

Exercise is important for health, as margame mentioned. It is also important for rechaping our bodies so we look good once that fat is lost. It is also important for maintaining loss of muscle while losing weight.

I think most of us struggle with finding a way to make exercise a habit. For a long time I tried walking & never enjoyed it. I found it boring & I tended to stroll rather than power-walk so I really did not feel I was burning many calories. If I was going to spend the time I wanted a better bang for my buck, so to speak.

I knew I needed to find something I actually enjoyed so I thought back to things I enjoyed as a kid - BICYCLING! I bought a bike and that did the trick. I set a goal to ride my bike a certain amount of time every dairy the weather was good. Easy to do because I was having fun.

That led to doing more - adding other things to challenge myself. I added challenging interval training DVDs and then joined a gym so I could do weight training. lol... Before I started weight training way back when I thought it was just for weird guys. I was so surprised when I heard women also did it! I LOVE weight training and growing stronger! Never would have happened if I had not found something I enjoyed to get me started.

Personally, I find my fatloss is a bit more consistent when I am exercising regularly. I also feel better & that is priceless. Do I always feel like doing my workout? No, of course not. But I know it is worth it. It is my goal to be the best me I can be & I am worth the effort it takes to accomplish that.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 10-05-2013 at 09:05 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I tried exercising this summer and it really slowed my weight loss. I only lost 3 lbs. in July when most months I had lost 5-10 lbs. I stopped exercising during a two week visit to my parents' house in early August and I lost weight again. So I have stopped exercising. I plan to start again when I am closer to goal (my final goal, not my initial goal) for toning and firming, but exercising isn't necessary for weight loss. One reason (certainly not the only) that I am on a low carb ketogenic diet rather than just a reduced calorie diet is that ketogenic diets with sufficient (but not excess) protein intake have been shown to spare lean body mass (muscle) during weight loss, even without exercise. So I am confident I am losing fat and not muscle during my weight loss.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Maybe exercise isn't "necessary" for weight loss, but it can greatly improve one's appearance, depending on your body type to begin with. If you are (mostly) slender with a few problem areas and need to lose 20-30 pounds, you'll be fine without exercise. But if you need to lose more than that, especially more than 100, IMHO exercise is ESSENTIAL. I lift weights 4-5 days a week and while I admit I'm not ripped like a bodybuilder, I SHUDDER to think what I would look like if I never picked up a weight. Yikes. It would be bad and I would feel terrible about the weight I lost because of my physique (or lack thereof). So for me, I would NEVER go any length of time without exercising, especially while trying to reshape my body with weight loss. Just my 2 cents...
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #7

Seriously, please do not obsess about the scale. It is just about the worst method of judging progress there is.

If you are not taking measurements you are going to miss important information so... Take measurements - MEASURE EVERYTHING!

Inches lost are proof positive you are losing fat. Pounds gained/lost on the scale could be anything. Just because the scale goes down doesn't mean you lost fat. Just because you gained "weight" doesn't mean you gained fat either.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 10-05-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I didn't really need exercise to shift things along, as others pointed out, diet is pretty much the most important aspect of weight loss. However, I started working out regularly back in June (5-7 days a week most of the time).

Unfortunately, I did not take measurements when I first started my weight loss journey. But, because of things I read regarding exercise and the scale, I took some measurements prior to starting my workout routine.

Somewhat depressingly, the scale movement has really slowed down since then. When I hit my macros perfectly, I generally only lose 3-5lbs a month, but since working out, it's more like 1-2lbs a month. However, thankfully I took those measurements, as I've lost about 4 inches from my "muffin top" (waist) measurement since I started exercising. Additionally, I now have visible muscle definition (even without flexing) in the general areas my routine targets. So between that and losing inches, I'm mostly ignoring the unimpressive scale changes as my body composition is clearly changing, and even many of my less-forgiving clothes are fitting quite nicely again. Though I still have a long way to go.

Plus, at this particular point, my workout routine is such a habit, I feel kind of crappy when I miss or skip out on the gym for whatever reason. And even if my body composition wasn't changing and the scale stopped completely, I'd still go just because it makes me feel good (all those lovely endorphins).

My only real problem is I enjoy cardio much more than strength training/weights, so it's easier for me to get cardio in even though the strength training is much more vital to body composition changes. Thus, I tend to do less strength training than I should, but much more than I used to - either way, my current routine is enjoyably sustainable so that's what matters.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
I'm not a fan. I'm not sedentary, but I have never met a form of exercise I truly enjoy, even as my younger thinner self. Just not my thing.
You know, I said the same thing for twenty years. Just this last week it occurred to me: I don't have to be that person anymore.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Exercise is not necessary for weight loss. The type of diet doesn't matter; it has nothing to do with LC.

Exercise is important for health, as margame mentioned. It is also important for rechaping our bodies so we look good once that fat is lost. It is also important for maintaining loss of muscle while losing weight.

I think most of us struggle with finding a way to make exercise a habit. For a long time I tried walking & never enjoyed it. I found it boring & I tended to stroll rather than power-walk so I really did not feel I was burning many calories. If I was going to spend the time I wanted a better bang for my buck, so to speak.

I knew I needed to find something I actually enjoyed so I thought back to things I enjoyed as a kid - BICYCLING! I bought a bike and that did the trick. I set a goal to ride my bike a certain amount of time every dairy the weather was good. Easy to do because I was having fun.

That led to doing more - adding other things to challenge myself. I added challenging interval training DVDs and then joined a gym so I could do weight training. lol... Before I started weight training way back when I thought it was just for weird guys. I was so surprised when I heard women also did it! I LOVE weight training and growing stronger! Never would have happened if I had not found something I enjoyed to get me started.

Personally, I find my fatloss is a bit more consistent when I am exercising regularly. I also feel better & that is priceless. Do I always feel like doing my workout? No, of course not. But I know it is worth it. It is my goal to be the best me I can be & I am worth the effort it takes to accomplish that.
ita with highlighted part ... i exercise because i know i feel better when i do ... for me it's a big "pita" to do any excercise (other than walk) and i have to psych myself up to do it; however, it feels good when i'm done and those "feel good" endorphines last all day and well into the next, so exercising is sooo worth it.

eta: someone on here has this in there signature line: dieting to look good in clothes; excercising to look good without them.

Last edited by margame; 10-05-2013 at 12:17 PM..
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I've exercised pretty much my entire life, from school sports teams, netball, field hockey, tennis to gyms, step classes, elliptical, stair master, kickboxing, yoga etc.
I've slacked off a bit in the past few years, I'm ok with 2-3 times a week, instead of the obsessed 6

I've never been more than 25 lbs overweight and when I have gone up, it's because along with out of control eating, I'd let the exercise go as well

In spin class this week, the instructor said food should be King and exercise should be Queen.

The key would be finding something you enjoy - dancing? try out Zumba. Put an exercise vid on and let it all go. I like classes because you are in, out, done, no negosh.
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #12

My formula: Nutrition + Exercise + Supplementation = SUCCESS

Healthy (what is best for me) Nutrition is the cake, the foundation that everything depends on.

Consistent Exercise is the icing on the cake, what makes it pretty.

Customized (for my needs) and educated Supplementation (Vitamins, Minerals, etc), is the candle on top that glows brightly. AKA What lights my fire within!

Any one of these alone can make a difference but it is combining all of them together that is the key to my success. I need them all.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Exercise doesn't make me lose faster but I notice my body changing even with out weightloss. Personally I'd rather improve my body shape, definition, get in smaller sizes, lift my butt, slim my thighs, lose some cellulite etc..
My theory is I dont care if i'm 125lbs or 175lbs. If I can fit in my size 4-6's i'll take it!!!!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I love to exercise most days, I ususally workout 6-7 days a week. I think the key to exercise is to find something you like to do. I exercise at home even though I have access to a gym for free (husbands work pays for it to keep us healthy for insurance). But me and one of my friends weigh around the same-I do LC/Exercise,she does WW. Guess what even though we weigh maybe 5 pounds different and the same height-I wear 4 sizes smaller than her. I think it has to do with exercise because muscle weights more than fat theroy, or muscle takes up less space (google five pounds of muscle verus 5 pounds of fat and see the difference). Anyway hope you find something you can enjoy!!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I used to be a compulsive exerciser, but it never got me anywhere with respect to maintaining a good healthy weight and body. Now I do about 20 to 30 minutes of strength training a day and some light physical activity and I am healthier and able to maintain my weight better than ever. Exercise is over-rated. If you like it, great, but you can certainly be fine without it.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Punkin, yes lol. Thing is, I really don't like exercise that much. I'll do it, but I don't love it, nor do I have the time for it on my own, so I have to take my kids....which is often less enjoyable, but sometimes more, depending on where were all at. As for cellulite...I've never had it before I started losing weight this time...now it is everywhere...gah. I guess as long as I feel it is helping weightloss in some way, even if it's just toning, I will walk, but that's about it
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
I like to get out and walk after I have supper, it tends to help my BGL be lower. Can't walk tonight because it's raining - thanks to the leftovers of Karen.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/19/2013
Heavy lifting

On Labor Day this year I resumed heavy weight lifting and just do some walking on the treadmill to warm up and cool down. I have seen some fantastic results, with a significantly smaller me, at the same weight. I purposely starting lifting just a few reps with the heaviest weight I could safely control for everything. I can tell I'm much stronger and I feel a lot better to boot!
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote