Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Too good to be true? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/813538-too-good-true.html)

makeamove 10-04-2013 04:14 PM

Too good to be true?

I just bought some sugar free gummies from CVS. They are made with Maltitol, so the carbs are listed as 35g per half bag, but after you subtract the Maltitol they're effectively zero net carbs. Has anyone had experience using these products fairly regularly to satisfy a sweet tooth? Have you stalled, or do you get to cheat the system a bit?

Thanks!

makrida 10-04-2013 04:21 PM

I think you may find that you can't eat too many, as they may upset your stomach. try a couple, but tread with caution.

princessmommy 10-04-2013 04:32 PM

Malitol uspets my stomach alot. And stalls me so i'd eat a few and see how it goes

Mistizoom 10-04-2013 05:02 PM

With malitol AT MOST I would subtract half the sugar alcohols to get net carbs. Personally I do not subtract it at all. And do not eat too many, it could cause major gastric distress.

cfine 10-04-2013 05:55 PM

I eat mallitol very sparingly. I don't count the sugar alcohol in them.

dgidaho 10-04-2013 07:13 PM

makeamove: Please--BEFORE you eat those things--google sugar free gummy bears, click on the Amazon link and read the customer comments.

Skinny Train 10-04-2013 07:29 PM

The only upside to those things? You may NEVER want a gummy bear again. I had never eaten sugar-free candy, and my mother purchased some chocolates about 15 years ago. I ate a couple, went to a party, and had to leave. Really early. I've never touched a sugar-free candy again. And will not, knowingly. fwiw

2muttsmom 10-04-2013 07:32 PM

OMG! Even the positive reviews on Amazon are only 5 stars because the poster used them to get even with someone they didn't like.

That's just scary.

makeamove 10-04-2013 08:08 PM

Thank you for all your feedback. I only wish I had logged on BEFORE I devoured the whole bag. It's been six hours of AWFUL. I met up with friends tonight and had to cut the evening very short. Wow. Who knew? Apparently you all did :) Lesson learned!!!

Skinny Train 10-04-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makeamove (Post 16630723)
Thank you for all your feedback. I only wish I had logged on BEFORE I devoured the whole bag. It's been six hours of AWFUL. I met up with friends tonight and had to cut the evening very short. Wow. Who knew? Apparently you all did :) Lesson learned!!!

I'm so sorry. I think I recall being much better by day two, but still not normal. Hang in there. I feel your pain. :console:

dgidaho 10-04-2013 08:36 PM

I'm so sorry! I'd have warned you earlier if I'd been home and online. I hope you feel better soon!

luvmybabyhead 10-05-2013 05:31 AM

Oh I'm so sorry. :( Malitol is the devil's tool. I won't touch sf candies!

makeamove 10-05-2013 08:16 AM

Thanks all. The rest of the night was pretty rough. Still not 100% this morning, but feeling like I can safely leave the house!

Moonchild 10-05-2013 10:42 AM

Bless your heart! I wish you could have been warned about the "malitol bomb" sooner.

On the plus side, it is AWESOME for times when you are truly having trouble "going". My MIL would get so stopped up from all the meds she was taking. The doc had her taking softeners and laxatives daily. He had the nurses the give a concoction called a "brown cow" that was pretty much guaranteed to make her "go". Nothing. It was to the point they were about to have to admit her to the hospital again. Thankfully I thought about the Russell Stovers sf candies that contain malitol. I gave her the full bag (I believe contained 2.5 servings) of SF strawberry creams. She happily ate them (being diabetic she rarely got candy). It was not long before we had total success! :)

Talk about a happy camper! SF candy became her miracle laxative. Through trial and error (so many errors) .. we found she could have 2 candies everyday and it worked smoothly with no "bombs". :D

BecBelle 10-05-2013 12:19 PM

I have eaten all sorts of SF candy, and I still do......as long as I am at home and won't be going anywhere for 8hrs.;)

tina1973 10-06-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makeamove (Post 16630723)

Oh no! I've been there. :o

nadi namaki 10-06-2013 04:22 PM

Remember, they have laxative effects if you eat more than a few. Be Careful please.

CurlsNCuffs 10-07-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinny Train (Post 16630689)
The only upside to those things? You may NEVER want a gummy bear again. I had never eaten sugar-free candy, and my mother purchased some chocolates about 15 years ago. I ate a couple, went to a party, and had to leave. Really early. I've never touched a sugar-free candy again. And will not, knowingly. fwiw

Happened to my hubby - NEVER again - he loved the SF Salt Water Taffy my gr.mother gave him years ago - UNTIL............................

Beeb 10-07-2013 01:45 PM

On the plus side these candies are really good when you CAN'T go! Helps to move things along very quickly! :p