LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Eating with all five senses

I have been on the hunt for ideas to help me maintain... I ran into French women don't get fat... It advocated eating with all five senses, savor ing each bite and dining for pleasure... Which I admit I've gotten far away from and I miss. Dining SHOULD be an experience and we should be aware and enjoy every mouthful. No tv , Internet car eating etc. there's a whole lot of other ideas on the website which I may or may not agree with..
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I agree that for me at least eating is a sensual experience. The smells , textures and taste. I think a lot of people who miss carbs dont have an addiction but simply miss the texture carby foods have. The sensual part of eating some of those foods.

Tell you what. I rarely see Fat French women and even more rarely school age kids. SO MANY reasons French women don't get fat.

Portion Size= calories. Really Americans eat too much
Sugary foods as a treat only
Lack of Processed foods-- REAL FOOD
No Snacking
No eating a walking
Walking A LOT
Lots of smoking
Lots and Lots of smoking.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
I agree that for me at least eating is a sensual experience. The smells , textures and taste. I think a lot of people who miss carbs dont have an addiction but simply miss the texture carby foods have. The sensual part of eating some of those foods.

Tell you what. I rarely see Fat French women and even more rarely school age kids. SO MANY reasons French women don't get fat.

Portion Size= calories. Really Americans eat too much
Sugary foods as a treat only
Lack of Processed foods-- REAL FOOD
No Snacking
No eating a walking
Walking A LOT
Lots of smoking
Lots and Lots of smoking.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Haha so true. I know it. Lots of it rings true. Plus the French diet IS high fat so that aids with portion control! Just wondering if its possible to incorporate some of these things ( already smoke so shameful) and Keep the weight off for real? Or is it culturally ingrained? I wonder if I can excersize portion control and restraint of that proportion without the benefit of ketosis? This is why Maintenance SCARES me!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

And they do eat just those itty bitty portions you pay too much for at French restaraunts
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
For me, I need to move in the opposite direction. I need for food to be about fueling my body and not about entertainment or enjoyment. I do hope that in time I'll be able to enjoy my food now and then, but for the foreseeable future that is a slippery slope. If I make it to 80, my plan is to live on chocolate cake, coffee, and cigarettes. But until then...
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think it's good to know yourself in this case. I agree with rubidoux that "recreational eating" is a problem for many of us. On the other hand, we should appreciate and be grateful for what we can eat and enjoy it as much as we can. Here's to a happy medium for each of us!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
When you are eating a high carb diet, most of that food (incoming nutrients) is going directly into storage. Unless you are running a marathon or something that needs to use glucose directly for energy. That is why the North American diet is so problematic. You either store the food in your house, or store it in your body. Our food industry is a major money making industry and I think sometimes we forget that. Ketchup is not a food, it is a product. It is mostly HFCS and MSG. The carbs and the protein (nutrients). We buy it not for sustenance but probably because of the original advertising and the comfort of mom making us a grilled cheese sandwich when we were kids. Now we have companies who make money off those "feelings of comfort." It is a whole other thing to eat for nutritional reasons. For example I have just started eating liver, which I find unpleasant because of the way my mom used to cook it. But I am eating it for the nutrition. To get it down though, I had to look up a recipe that made a tasty pate with it. Of course it is full of fat, and probably would be approved by the french for sure! I only eat a tablespoon of it at a time, but it is worth every bite. Sure I miss those days of piling up my plate with pasta and stuffing myself silly. But why? I'm still working on that. Last night I had a huge, lettuce only salad with a tasty avocado dressing. I think it was just the same thing, the only difference in that it was low carb, high fat.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I am not sure if carbs are a problem as much as excess carbs . It exessive carbs make you gain weight . Excessive portions of those carbs as we eat in USA. The French do eat carbs in smaller amounts though it has been my experience that French women don't snack or grAize and reserve decant treats as a weekend indulgment. And I agree thAt becoming fat taboo in France as fashion and beauty is part of the cultural mindset. As is enjoying food. I think there is a huge difference between appreciating your meal and eating for recreation.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
They don't subsidize corn in France, so there's not HFCS in everything. Ketchup is made of tomatoes and vinegar and spices. They do smother everything in butter - more proof it's good for you.

Parking is so hard that no one drives unless absolutely necessary. You walk everywhere.

You would lose weight if you ate exactly the same stuff, only in Europe.

But the reason this thread interested me initially was because I wandered onto a liposuction site last night, reading reviews from all the people who have done it. And they all seemed to be obsessed with how wonderful food tastes. We're talking people who obsess over their weight enough to get lipo, right - half of them go to the gym five times a week. They posted with an outlook like in the OP, but it sounded really unhealthy - like they never got to enjoy ENOUGH food, and it had become a personal demon. It was really weird. I have less motivation to eat, but I weigh more?

Food really only tastes good for the first two bites. Have you ever noticed this? Then it becomes background noise. Most of us would have a hard time paying attention past two bites, too, I imagine. I mean, stare at your hand for longer than ten seconds without thinking of something else....

Rambling. If you want to try this, try this. I'm just thinking aloud.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I do think if I had grown up in another country, I wouldn't have ended up diabetic and morbidly obese.

Our processed foods and modern agricultural techniques caused us to become overweight. I doubt the cows in France are fed the amount of grain and food waste that ours get. I have read imported cheese is almost always better than buying domestic because of the way we feed our cows. We just produce substandard food.

I do think mindfullness, which is what this seems to speak to, is helpful. It didn't work as a weight loss strategy for me. I do believe it helps prevent weight gain if you use it with good, whole food.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote