LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
Going on Travel and Need your Help!

In the near future, I will be heading to Thailand on a business trip (with a few fun days too!). This is my 2nd time there, but the 1st time on a low carb lifestyle.

The lunches that are served to us are made from scratch authentic Thai food and they are off the hook. Seriously good! BUT, they provide a bowl of their curry concoction and a bowl of their rice for each seated table of 6-8 people and it is served family style. So I don't want to look greedy and fill my bowl up with the curry "stew" (for lack of better words) and not take any rice. So I was thinking I would eat a little bit of the stew, then eat a snack that I bring to ensure that I stay full.

Also, I am really worried about the flight there and back - a total of 22 hours each way!

What are your suggestions for snacks on the plane and in country? Breakfast and dinner is not a problem since we are on our own. The hotels provide a HUGE buffet of breakfast foods from around the world, to include American. Dinners are usually out at the local restaurants and I can eat only the curry concoction without any guilt

So please help.

My only thoughts as of now are nuts and pork rinds. Should I get a quest bar? I'm afraid they will be too sweet and trigger my sugar addiction. Is there a bar recipe I can make and pack in my luggage to put in the fridge in the hotel room?
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Well, I think travel is the time to bring low carb convienence foods, just in case. So I think a few Quest bars would be good or even Atkins bars if you can handle them. I would also bring some fat/protein sources such as:

vacuum-packed/shelf-stable meats like pepperoni, salami, tuna, smoked salmon
beef jerky
shelf-stable pre-cooked bacon (can be eaten without cooking)
shelf-stable meat sticks (like Jack's Links or Nick's Sticks)
packets of low carb protein powder (can be mixed with water if necessary)
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I usually pick up Wendy's burgers at the airport and eat them on the plane. Even cold, they are pretty good with the bacon and cheese.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/150.0/120-130
WOE: LC
Start Date: July1,2013
JennyBell, I am in the same predicament as you. I will be leaving for China on Saturday for 3 wks on a Fam trip from one of our Asian Tour operators.. I am mentally planning my meals.
All the hotels serve a big buffet breakfast so that meal is no problem. I checked with some of the other agents that went on the same Fam last year and they said to bring baggies and fill them up with snacks from the buffet breakfast, nuts, fruits ,cheese etc. Some also took some boiled eggs in case they did not like the food at the restaurants where they would be going. I know that I can eat the vegetables and sea food, I just have to eliminate the rice and noodles. One night will be Peking duck- no problem.
The dumpling dinner will be a challenge, I will have to play it by ear. Since we will be walking a lot, I am not worried of gaining weight but getting out of Ketosis that worries me. I will have to go back to Induction for a week to get back to Ketosis.
Good luck, I am sure that you will figure something out.
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
For the flight, you should be able to order a special gluten-free meal. It may not be completely grain-free, but it should be free of wheat at least.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I would eat a big meal at home and bring some walnuts or almonds for a snack. Fasting actually helps with getting over jet lag. I find that a lot of airport food is disgusting and I do not like carrying a lot of extra stuff when traveling so I eat before I leave and when I get wherever I am going.

I'd make sure to drink plenty of water and broth before the flight and lots of water on the plane.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I would eat a big meal at home and bring some walnuts or almonds for a snack. Fasting actually helps with getting over jet lag. I find that a lot of airport food is disgusting and I do not like carrying a lot of extra stuff when traveling so I eat before I leave and when I get wherever I am going.

I'd make sure to drink plenty of water and broth before the flight and lots of water on the plane.
She is on a 22 hour flight!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
She is on a 22 hour flight!
I know, that's why I said fasting. I've done it before and felt better and got acclimated more quickly to the new time zone.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your help. I had thought about the Wendy's burgers myself, but my mind is having a hard time with that since I Haven't ate any fast food since I started this. I'm just really afraid to trigger that feeling of being on vacation and the mentality I will get back on it when I return.

I am 100% confident now, but who knows what hunger and lack of sleep will do to me mentally. ha ha
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I think what helps on vacation is to keep in mind that you want to be full of energy and feeling good, not bloated from carbs and feeling sluggish from eating too much or the wrong foods. And, especially if you are going somewhere warm where you will spend most of the time in more revealing clothing and a bathing suit.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Twenty hours of flying time and that is not counting the travel to and from the airports on both ends. I would rather be prepared and have some food on hand. It can also be very distracting to smell the food for others and to be hungry.

Nuts (macadamia are best for fat content), jerky, minute muffins and very dark chocolate are my foods of choice when travelling. The minute muffins are only good on the departure as they don't last too long without refrigeration.

I have asked for special meals and have come to conclude that it is best to just get what everyone else is having and eat what is on your plan and leave the rest. Best to not have a full stomach while flying anyway.

Have a great trip and let us know how you did?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I think the fasting recommendation might be risky given that you don't know when you next meal is coming and it's a long time. I witnessed someone passing out in the seat behind me and one of the causes was skipping meals (according to the medicos that lent assistance).

I suggest carrying acceptable packaged foods, as suggested by others: jerky, nuts or seeds, ounce or so of packaged cheeses, etc. You could try to fast, should you wish, but you would have backup.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
I also would pack the snacks mentioned above, but more importantly I would bring something good to read or hand work of some kind to keep my hands busy. Make reading material something LC or health related you haven't had time to read at home, something that will keep you focused and encouraged.

Have a great trip! You'll be fine!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

I am pretty strict with my eating. If you order fast food burgers, they have no filler. Ship the ketchup and onions. You will be on a plane, so it's not like you can go back and order fries.
I find it best to bring too much food rather than too little. I spent a ten hour flight from Greece, starving!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I am pretty strict with my eating. If you order fast food burgers, they have no filler. Ship the ketchup and onions. You will be on a plane, so it's not like you can go back and order fries.
I find it best to bring too much food rather than too little. I spent a ten hour flight from Greece, starving!
Wouldn't you have to eat the burgers from the airport within a couple of hours for food safety reasons though? We are not allowed to bring cold packs through security anymore in the U.S.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post

That's how I like to travel, water and light snacks, nuts fruit etc, if someone pulled out some hardboiled eggs, I would puke

I've done the trip to Thailand and it's so long and boring, that the only excitement is when the food comes round, I'd order gluten free and just have your lowcarb snacks with you.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Wouldn't you have to eat the burgers from the airport within a couple of hours for food safety reasons though? We are not allowed to bring cold packs through security anymore in the U.S.
I risk it!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
I think if you're only there once a year or something then indulging in some off that off the hook foods isn't a big deal if it's off plan.

As for 22 hours on a plane..I'd die. LOL. But I'd stick with nuts, seeds, protein powder, tuna, olives... I wouldn't really worry about eating enough on a plane since you're just sitting there. Flying is dehydrating though so I'd worry more about liquids. It's not like you're walking around and need the calories for energy. I'd probably just drink the calories so I didn't have food to digest that would have to come out on a public bathroom.

Last edited by UghNowWhat; 10-02-2013 at 01:06 PM..
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
She's in Canada though where they still have freedom. But in the U.S. whatever you can buy post-security you can take on the plane. It's not like they check your bags as you're getting on the plane.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
She's in Canada though where they still have freedom. But in the U.S. whatever you can buy post-security you can take on the plane. It's not like they check your bags as you're getting on the plane.
Our security is pretty much the same as yours. You dump before security and whatever is bought after that, can be taken aboard.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I'd be more concerned for the trip back. I found travel so in inconsistent with what they Allow you to bring into the plane. Even foods ( prepared hot foods) and bottle water bought inside the airport before boarding I have had to dump at Many airports before boarding even though it is sold at the gate. Even then, the ruke is not consistent at the sAme airport except usa and europe. I would make sure I have packaged bars or sealed foods for the plane back in case of emergency.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
My absolute favorite travel food are the packs made by Artisana. I love their pecan butter and the cocao bliss (mixture of chocolate and coconut butter). 200-300 calories per pack, a good amount of fat, and only a few carbs. I buy them from Amazon.
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValidRouge
Stats: 256/232.4/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 7/7/2013
I like raw pumpkin seeds for my flights. Try to find the unsalted ones in the shell too--the shells slow me down, but if they are salted that might be problematic. (I always swell up when I fly--the salt makes it even worse).

I've recently seen olives that come packed dry or in light oil in single serving bags. When I saw them in the grocery, I was thinking they would be perfect for plane travel.

I also take individually wrapped mozzarella cheese sticks. They seem to do ok without refrigeration. Pepperoni slices also do ok without refrigeration.

I think if I were packing, I would take:
raw pumpkin seeds in shell (no salt) or shelled raw pumpkin seeds and split them up into 1 oz packets.
macadamia nuts (also divided into 1 oz packets)
bag of pepperoni
mozzarella Sticks
olives
ValidRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
beef sticks
nuts
mozzarella sticks
atkins bar
protein pwd to mix with water ?
I would get the big hamb patties too and just make sure I ate them 1st - in the 1st hour of so of the flight !

Have a great trip !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
I'd be more concerned for the trip back. I found travel so in inconsistent with what they Allow you to bring into the plane. Even foods ( prepared hot foods) and bottle water bought inside the airport before boarding I have had to dump at Many airports before boarding even though it is sold at the gate. Even then, the ruke is not consistent at the sAme airport except usa and europe. I would make sure I have packaged bars or sealed foods for the plane back in case of emergency.
Do you open the water before boarding? I think it's supposed to be sealed as stupid as that is since you bought it post-security. I've never actually boarded with a bag of things I just bought..it always gets stuffed in my carry on bag right after I leave the register. I've only flown in the US though.

Hot foods probably go against the 311 rule somehow..liquid/gel.. and maybe they don't want smelly foods on the planes because it could annoy other passengers. Airlines have thrown people off planes for body odor so it could be that.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #26

People eat all kinds of smelly food on planes now. Most people bring food as many flights don't serve anything.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #27

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Protein powder, dry. Bring a plastic rubbermaid shaker jar with lid and ask for a couple of waters and a few coffee creamers.
Or have decaf coffee and mix your powder in it.

A new, unopened jar of protein powder will go through security with no problem.
Pack another one in your checked bag for the return trip.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Such great ideas. I had never seen the artisana products before and will check them out. I was able to get some low sodium nut combinations today and ordered some steve's sticks. Thank you all for your help.