Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
How many times did it take before you stopped bingeing?

So, I am pretty sure that I am addicted to food. I have always thought that I had things under control. I could always stop when I wanted to. And, then reality hit me flat on the nose. The reality is, that if it is something I am not interested in anyways that there is no problem avoiding it. Donuts? Store bought goodies? Fruit? They are a walk in the park for me. I am okay with avoiding those. BUT...when I bake fresh chocolate chip cookies for my boys, and carefully only bake 6 so there are no leftovers for me to eat, and then binge on all 6 before my boys come home, I know there is an issue. This is what happened to me yesterday. This is why I am not succeeding.

Today I have woken up with a new agenda. I have pinpointed my weakness (I think) and that is homemade stuff. My goal right now is to make it to next monday without bingeing. And, then go from there. This is tough when I am doing it without even thinking about it.

My question is does everyone binge? How long does it take to lose that habit? Anyone else feel like they are addicted to food??

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
not everyone binges. It's all individual. I was a binger ( actually bulimic at times) for 15+ years. What worked for me was to cut all grains and sugars ( including fruit) honestly- this is the only thing I have found to stop my pattern of binging. Baked goods usually include wheat-- maybe try 0 wheat ( or grains) for a while. And stop baking for a while But don't just stop eating- allow yourself to eat veggies, meat- what ever low carb ( if that is the plan you are following) After a few days / maybe a week, it will be easier for you to moderate how much you eat as the next step...( just my opinion- this is what worked for me)
jennbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Ummm, the reason you are not succeeding is that you're baking fresh chocolate chip cookies! Stop that!!! lol
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I had to get really strict. No fruit. I did not eat anything sweet tasting. Even many vegetables were a problem, like green beans.
It does get easier with time. But, I would avoid tempting foods in he first few months. It took me a few years to not be sad when cutting pizza.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I believe in this way of eating so much that I have applied it to my 7 year old as well. The behavior difference alone is worth it!

I do give him fruit and more HEALTHY carbs than me, but he is also a high fat eater. He gets a treat every now and then. Like Last night, he had a fudgesicle as a treat, and I had NO problem sitting next to him. (Keep in mind I am 5 weeks into this).
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I wish I could say I never binge anymore. It's just so much less. I never binge on whole, natural food. Yes, stop with the cookies, lol.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

ha ha, yeah, tonight I told my 17 (soon to be 18) year old, that from now on he will have to make the cookies while I am at work, and only an amount that they will eat before I get home. Atleast for a while. The problem is we bought all this cookie dough for a football fundraiser. I kind of want to throw it all away!! Today was a better day for me. I did pick up a small package of sugar free reese's cups to keep in the kitchen just in case. I thought I would want to taste one when I got home, but really I wasn't that hungry to eat one. I did pick up some sugar free jello tonight too. Hopefully these will help when I think I can't control myself.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

JennyBell...I do feed my boys the same foods I make too. They eat the same exact thing as I do. I do switch their snacks up though. Normally it's stuff that I'm really not interested in to begin with, like fruit snacks or even fruit. The cookies are a fluke that we normally don't keep in the house. I have never been one of those moms that makes a bunch of crappy food for each person, like hotdogs for this one and chicken nuggets for this one. I didn't get fat on crap lol. I got fat on eating too much of a good thing. I love cooking. Gourmet stuff is what I got fat on! Lucky for me, I knew portion control and have taught my boys well. Knowing it, and following it are two different stories for me though And, I have a bad thyroid, so that just adds to the problem of me gaining weight. Now I have the portions pretty much under control, but sometimes all I think of is food~ I want new interests besides cooking! I wish I could get into exercise...nothing really interests me~I did zumba for a while, and loved it! Then, I tore my miniscus in my knee, and it has never been the same again. It makes me leary of exercising.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #9

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
not everyone binges.

it can take a long time to lose the habit, and even when you do, it takes a lot of effort to make sure the habit does not resurface. I say this because I have lost around 100 lbs more than once and then gained it back, more than once.

I do think I have some form of food addiction. I would definitely call it an eating disorder.

I am a very intelligent person, I completely understand what I need to do to lose weight. I know that different diets would work for me. Low carb works and low calories works. Yet, there is some unreasonable compulsion within me. I crave foods almost uncontrollably and I eat beyond comfort. I know more about diets than most people I know and I'm still overweight. My brain knows all of this, and yet my eating is still very out of control. I know I am far from alone in this feeling. I realize I am sounding very negative, but I've also lost weight in the past so I know it can be done.

when you ask how long before you stop bingeing....I would keep an eye out for that monster all the time and be prepared. Losing weight is wonderful, I've done it many times....but maintaining, that is a different animal I've yet to tame.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pony47
Stats: Highest 228 27 yrs ago/115 maintaining 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: many times over 20 yrs/from size 24 to size 0
My opinion is once a binger, the possibility is always there to binge. I'm just coming off of that - ate sweets till I was sick to my stomach. Weight loss is, to me, mostly a head game. I needed to mentally decide to cut out the sugar no matter who was eating it around me. I actually keep candy in the house - it's kind of my temptation. And I prove to myself daily that I am stronger than it is. Doesn't work for everyone.
Pony47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Well...I have declared no bingeing since Sunday, and today is Wednesday, and so far this week, by actively keeping an eye on it, I have been successful. Might be when I drop my guard that all common sense goes out the window! Or bake cookies...
Old 10-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I have not been able to go two weeks without binging. I am VERY carb sensitive and even small amount of carbs sets me off into a binge. I cannot get enough..it is really frustrating. Each week it seems I start again. Today is day 3 for me. Exercise does seem to help. My problem is I have insomnia and I think sometimes that will cause binging as well. So for now...I am on day 3 of no binging...hope to make it at least two weeks!
PS...Someone mentioned L-glutamine and I am starting to take that today....supposed to help with cravings.
sarahatl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I have never heard of L-glutamine...what is it?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #14

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
I have never heard of L-glutamine...what is it?
It's an amino acid. It's available as a supplement in a powder form or in a tablet. It was helpful for me when I was exhibiting eating disorder behavior.

I took 500 mg 2-3 times a day.

Julia Ross recommends it in "The Diet Cure", and many people have found it to be useful.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Trust me, I am the binge queen. I am capable of just inhaling insane amounts of food at one time. Always junk. It sometimes seems that there's no limit. However, I've been in constant Ketosis since February, and haven't had one binge or "cheat". The longer I'm in ketosis, the less I want to eat the "crap". Take it one day at a time and focusing on getting through that day eating clean and low carb. It will get easier and easier until you find that, finally, it's not the main focus of your day any more, it's just your life.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

So far this week has been a good one for me. I have been in situations where lots of food that I would regret eating later is around, and it really hasn't phased me. I haven't thought much about it. I have baked cakes, made desserts for my son's team dinner, etc and I have not even really been interested. I did buy a few "sweets" to help though. I got some sugar free reese's. 5 is equal to 1 carb...after 3 I am done. I bought dt. dr. pepper. I don't even really like soda. Rarely buy it, but I figured it would be a special treat for me. And, surprisingly it helps curve my cravings. Also, I made an lc cheesecake and OMG it is delicious. So, I kind of am looking forward to THOSE treats. I am excited that I have found a few things that help me and don't encourage me to binge. I haven't binged in almost a week now, and I believe I have found a way to avoid it. I am officially in ketosis and loving this feeling!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Check out the book The Diet Cure. That really helped get me on tack. I have been binge free for over 280 days now
The other thing that helped was to limit my carbs so they only come from veggies or berries. I can also tolerate dairy- yogurt specifically- with no problem. I eat two large tubs of full fat plain yogurt with SF jello pudding powder mixed in every week. I use divincis sf syrup in my iced coffee with no issues.
Sometimes I think the yogurt is what keeps me on track
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I have done a couple of things that I believe have dramatically assisted me in getting it under control -

1. L-glutamine
2. Liquid magnesium
3. No sweeteners. No s/f stuff at all. It is such a trigger for me. It would work for awhile, and then I would have s/f candy and eat too much of it and end up binging on other food too. I just cant do it.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Bio Chic you are a true inspiration to me. I am looking at your stats, and your goals reached, and I am in complete awe. PLus...my name is LIsa too I don't eat berries at all. Are they low carb? Right now I am trying to stay under 20 carbs a day. My carbs basically come from veggies. Sometimes a little cheese.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Would like to say that at the moment I am actively preventing myself from binging on pumpkin bread and pasta. But I won't do it .... I can't .
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi Lisa
I am only one slip-up from sliding back to 192 lbs. I never forget that. I found a plan that worked for me. It will continue to work as long as I stay on plan. The Diet Cure gave me a leg up in the early weeks of this journey. After I felt more sure of myself I was able to stop the supplements and stay on plan. I have had a huge challenge emotionally this past month and I was so worried I would turn to food. I didn't. next week I might.
Berries are lower on the glycemic index so they don't impact my blood sugar significantly. That rise and subsequent fall of blood sugar was a big reason I "needed" more sugar. Of course, not causing the BS issues to begin with would have been the way to go. That's what I believe I am doing now.
I treat my addiction to carbs like an alcoholic would alcohol. I cannot have just a little. One cookie would lead to disaster. I have to abstain for a lifetime one day at a time.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I "discovered" a terrible binging issue last year and it's taken me until now to get it totally under control. My problem was restriction, of any kind. Low calorie only, time to eat/not eat, no carbs, etc. and I would be heading toward weeks and weeks of binging.

I started a WOE that has no restrictions toward food of any kind but gives me the opportunity to eat more food if I eat healthy foods so it's an incentive to eat better to have more food on my plate.

My binging days are behind me now, and my relationship with food is back to a normalcy that I haven't seen in years!

I think it's just finding the "perfect balance" that tells our minds that food is OK and we ARE in control!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
The only way I can keep from binging when I'm stressed is sticking to one meal a day, or basically a short eating window. I get 1200-1500 cals a day from one meal or one meal and a small snack, and my system is satisfied like that. Sometimes, I can get really hungry right before dinner, and am tempted to binge, but after not eating all day I couldn't binge without being miserable. My stomach just won't hold a lot when I keep it empty.

Otherwise...if I eat anything at all during the day, all bets are off. Stress with a nibble here and there turns into an all out pig out.
Skinny Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I "discovered" a terrible binging issue last year and it's taken me until now to get it totally under control. My problem was restriction, of any kind. Low calorie only, time to eat/not eat, no carbs, etc. and I would be heading toward weeks and weeks of binging.

I started a WOE that has no restrictions toward food of any kind but gives me the opportunity to eat more food if I eat healthy foods so it's an incentive to eat better to have more food on my plate.

My binging days are behind me now, and my relationship with food is back to a normalcy that I haven't seen in years!

I think it's just finding the "perfect balance" that tells our minds that food is OK and we ARE in control!
So true - I severely abstained from sugar/starch for almost 2 years, read labels on everything and if it had any sugar I wouldn't touch it. Then eventually my mind/body rebelled against the restrictions/dieting and all hell broke lose with binging - not starch - but the rotten sugar. It's the only substance that still has a hold on me.

I haven't found the answer or cracked the code yet but I fully agree with Beeb that restrictions eventually don't work for me. I have to find a way to incorporate the occasional treat in without thinking I have failed and then proceed to eat everything junky as if to punish myself.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Not everyone binges. I am not a binger nor a food addict, but there are plenty here, and lots of help.

I wish you well in finding what works for you, and I vote with Jayne: stop baking, for a start. If you a search for binge and binging here in the main lobby, you'll find dozens of other threads where people have discussed strategies and supplements that have worked for them. Congrats on being binge-free since Saturday!

Last edited by Ntombi; 10-07-2013 at 11:29 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hsmjlkelly
Stats: 153/144.5/110
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: Oct.2013
Have you tried the "Carb Addicts Lifespan Program" by the Heller's? What you do is eat 2-3 LC meals and 1 "Reward Meal" in a 24 hr period. The RM has to be eaten in an hour. So in other words you can bake and eat your cookies, lose weight and stop the cravings. I bake my kids cookies and on my RM(reward meal) I eat MY cookies that I saved for ME. No 2 week induction, but it takes about a week for the hunger to go away which is nothing compared to the horrible induction(Adkins). They don't encourage you to "binge" on your hour and try to sweet talk you into a salad and LC meat but I did this diet 15 years ago and believe me you can binge but you will feel bad after and your stomach will be mad BUT the weight will still come off! I'm back on it and I'm more sensible b/c I hate feeling too bad but it is nice to eat out during you RM and get a "real sugar" dessert also! No counting or measuring your food!

Try it ! It may be what you need. BTW the weight loss is not fast but it will happen!

Look on the "other plans" under the CAD/CALP diet forums, they have some awesome people on that forum to help and read about their progress. I hope to be a success b/c it worked before and it's working again for me!

Last edited by hsmjlkelly; 10-07-2013 at 11:53 PM..
hsmjlkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
Binger here too. One of my tricks is to circle on a calendar (mine is on the fridge) at the end of every day when I've gone w/o binging. It encourages me to eat one day at a time & shows me written success that I can eat clean. The longer I go w/o junkfood the easier it gets once that junk gets out of my system. It's about habit for me. When I start reaching for junk, I remind myself to eat/drink my low carb substitutions. Make sure you have them.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
I wanted to comment on this because I am having a problem with binging too. And I wanted to make sure I can find this thread again because you all have such good advice and it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I was doing well until my daughter and grandson came to visit and of course, we baked chocolate chip cookies! I told myself I could get back on track after they left but haven't been able to do so.

I needed some inspiration and I found it! Thank you!!!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #29
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sugar + wheat = addiction of 2 foods. It is no wonder that this would encourage a binge. In fact it is a wonder that everyone doesn't binge on this stuff.

Please reference Dr. Lustig (sugar the bitter truth) and Dr. William Davis (wheat belly).

Last edited by clackley; 02-09-2014 at 06:20 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Make them with almond flour and sweeteners... it's less addictive than with sugar and wheat but still taste good.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote