Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I"m not a snacker, but I'll carry food with me when I know my husband is going to want to stay at a gathering for a long time.

So, going to the movies or to some other place for a couple of hours, I don't take food. But if we're going to be somewhere for a whole day of watching the games, hanging out at the pool, etc, I'll bring something like a cooked piece of chicken, seltzer water, and nuts. Usually I do okay because there ends up being burgers and a veggie tray available, but sometimes the party food is something carby and then I'm happy to have my chicken.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #32
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Carrying food with you is really just being prepared and that it key for success. It is those occasions that there is no appropriate food combined with hunger that can become very difficult. There is no need if planning is involved.

In my case, I do intermittent fasting and have discovered that going hungry for several hours is no biggy but that was not the case when I first began low carbing and it is an individual thing.

Pack food and or eat prior to an occasion that is unpredictable. It really helps.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Before Atkins I had hypoglycimia. I used to have to eat every two hours. Since being on Atkins, I can go for long periods of time without eating. So I now carry less and less food with me. But I still have some Atkins bars, nuts, or jerky in my brief case just in case. However, I rarely use it anymore.

Restaurants, for lunch, dinner or happy hour usually aren't a problem. The main problem is I will order something like hot wings and the other people will "share" them, but I can't share their food. So now whenever I order, I make sure to order a big enough portion for everyone knowing they will have a few even if they say they won't. It cost more, but worth it to stay on plan.

The harder one for me is house parties. I just always bring a dish myself. That way I am covered. Or if I don't, I just skip the meal if it off plan. It is freeing to know I don't have to eat so often to control my blood sugar.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Before Atkins I had hypoglycimia. I used to have to eat every two hours. Since being on Atkins, I can go for long periods of time without eating. So I now carry less and less food with me. But I still have some Atkins bars, nuts, or jerky in my brief case just in case. However, I rarely use it anymore.

Restaurants, for lunch, dinner or happy hour usually aren't a problem. The main problem is I will order something like hot wings and the other people will "share" them, but I can't share their food. So now whenever I order, I make sure to order a big enough portion for everyone knowing they will have a few even if they say they won't. It cost more, but worth it to stay on plan.

The harder one for me is house parties. I just always bring a dish myself. That way I am covered. Or if I don't, I just skip the meal if it off plan. It is freeing to know I don't have to eat so often to control my blood sugar.
Yeah, the old "you share your steamed clams with melted butter and I'll share my breadsticks".

Last edited by emel; 10-02-2013 at 10:05 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
Some believe eating every few hours keeps your metabolism up and your body gets used to it. Hunger is a signal for a reason. Diabetics also usually need something every few hours, LC or not.
I wonder where that crazy metabolism thing came from. Cripes! I believed that for years and I can't say it did me a bit of good. Ugh.

As for the diabetes thing, the only reason a diabetic would need to eat every few hours is if they're feeding their meds, which is a sure way to pack on the pounds. One's meds should be tailored to what they are needing/wanting to eat, the diabetic shouldn't be having to eat just to feed the meds, kwim? My blood sugars have been so much better since I stopped eating all the freaking time. Instead of up-down-up-down-up-down, etc, I now have one very small blip at dinner time and that's it. The rest of the time (until I throw in exercise, which is a whole 'nother thing) my blood sugars are nice and flat, usually around 90.

I have to think about the hunger is a signal for a reason idea. It makes sense. Sounds right. But what is the reason??? lol I have done a lot better since I realized that I could ignore it and it would go away. And I have also found that even if I'm going to eat, if I'm feeling very hungry, it's better if I wait 20 minutes to eat (and then I usually forget and eat an hour or two later), that way I'm not as tempted to overeat or eat off plan foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Carrying food with you is really just being prepared and that it key for success. It is those occasions that there is no appropriate food combined with hunger that can become very difficult. There is no need if planning is involved.

In my case, I do intermittent fasting and have discovered that going hungry for several hours is no biggy but that was not the case when I first began low carbing and it is an individual thing.

Pack food and or eat prior to an occasion that is unpredictable. It really helps.
The other night I was at a party where the only food that wasn't oozing with sugar or starch was breaded chicken wings. Gah! It was dinner time for me and I hadn't eaten anything yet that day. But once I made the decision to just wait till I got home, it was not hard to do. I just ended up having my dinner at 10:00, no biggy. Intermittent fasting has been a godsend for me!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I only carry a few plan-suitable snack items along for trips that involve overnight hotel stays. Sometimes jerky or suitable snack crackers. I can usually find something on a menu to order that is plan-suitable just about anywhere. If eating at someone's house, I'll eat a suitable snack before we leave and hope for the best at table, avoiding the items I shouldn't indulge in more than just tasting to avoid hurting the hostess's feelings. They always seem pleased I'm willing to at least "taste", as I always give an encouraging word and compliment about how good something looks, along with a word on why I'm not indulging in more. Works for me.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I don't carry food anywhere. I've been in ONE situation where I didn't have access to something workable on my diet - and I didn't have access to ANY food at that point (emergency room). I pack no snacks unless I'm actually planning on being out for hours and don't want to spend money. And I have never had to cheat. I don't really plan ahead, I just know how to order low carb just about anywhere
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote