Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Fat amount (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/813114-fat-amount.html)

llisarray 09-28-2013 07:10 PM

Fat amount

Is there a suggested calorie fat ratio?

Ntombi 09-29-2013 02:46 AM

Not IMO. I set my carbohydrate and protein levels, and the rest of my calories come from fat. Carbs are set in stone at no more than 20g/day total, protein is a loose goal of 120g/day (based on my lean body mass), and fat is what it ends up being. Because I don't count calories, some days my fat intake is higher, and some days it's lower. I don't worry about it, as long as I get enough protein, and don't go over my carbs.

Dr. Atkins said to eat to satisfaction, not fullness. That's what I try to do. I have hungry days and less hungry days, so I try to listen to my body. That's where the difference in fat intake tends to happen for me.

luckymuma 09-29-2013 04:04 AM

My stats are very similar to Ntombis. I also don't count calories at this point in my journey, nor do I watch my fat intake, I actually focus on fat as a snack. If I'm hungry, I eat something fatty.

E.W. 09-29-2013 04:37 AM

I believe those doing the nutritional ketosis WOE try to follow a 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carb ratio. It sure is easy to overdo it and eat to much protein so rember about 50% of the protein you eat is converded to blood sugar.

Ntombi 09-29-2013 04:44 AM

E.W., I follow both Atkins and NK (Atkins Induction foods list and NK in terms of not climbing the carb ladder or going out of ketosis), and my answer applies to both.

I don't find percentages to be at all helpful, as they change when caloric intake changes.

I prefer to go by hard numbers, so I always keep my total carbs below 20g, and my protein goal is about 120g (which is based on my particular LBM). My fat varies as my meals and calories vary. As you can see, if I ate 1300 calories with those carb and protein intakes, the percentages would look different than if I ate the same but with 2000 calories. It's 58/37/5 with 1300 calories vs. 75/24/1 with 2000 calories.

Now, because I don't happen to count calories, only carbs and proteins, what good would it do to try to move each macro up or down each day? Since absolute values are what matter in my experience, it wouldn't.

Also, the amount of protein that may be converted to glucose depends on the particular person's body composition. That's why the protein goals are better when customized to the individual.

DiamondDeb 09-29-2013 05:20 AM

There is no "best" ratio. What works best will vary among different people. It is really best not to figure nutrition using macros because different calories can change a good macro to a bad one.

Taking that into consideration, I have found that, eating healthy and to satisfaction, my fat ends up averaging around 65%. With the same calories but higher fat (lower protein) I end up being hungry. Others need higher fat.

Just eat to satisfaction & you'll do well.

llisarray 09-29-2013 11:00 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I loaned out all my Atkins books and couldn't remember.

girondet 09-29-2013 07:18 PM

I started off just making sure my carbs were 30g a day and let the rest be whatever satisfied. That took me a long way, but eventually I tweaked. I tend not to eat too much protein or fat anyway. Except with cheese or cream.

My maintenance macros are 65% fat and 17% each of protein and carbs for around 1600 calories.

I agree it's probably very individual.

Big Stevie 09-30-2013 04:10 PM

Yeah, 60% to 65% is the range I seem to stay in when I limit my carbs to 20 grams. My protein is 30 to 35%, and carbs are around 5%. It obviously varies every day. I don't focus on it too much, just the carbs. But when I do track, it is in the range without thinking about it. Track for a few days to see where your landing. Make adjustments as necessary.

christina6281 10-01-2013 08:51 AM

Curious if you can overdo it on the fat?

peanutte 10-01-2013 08:57 AM

Of course--you can overdo anything. Carbs, protein, fat, whatever.

sarahatl 10-01-2013 09:48 AM

What about the caloric content of the fat? I understand that it helps with cravings but does anyone ever consider calorie content? Last week I was eating a lot of fat...cheese and such to help with the cravings but I know I was also eating a lot of calories...no weight loss..then.

RebeccaLatham 10-01-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christina6281 (Post 16625840)
Curious if you can overdo it on the fat?

Absolutely, you can! If you eat more fuel than your body needs to run itself, you will store that fat for later.

Mistizoom 10-01-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahatl (Post 16625953)
What about the caloric content of the fat? I understand that it helps with cravings but does anyone ever consider calorie content? Last week I was eating a lot of fat...cheese and such to help with the cravings but I know I was also eating a lot of calories...no weight loss..then.

Of course, calories do matter. Phinney and Volek say for nutritional ketosis to stay at 50 g or fewer total carbs a day (some people may need fewer to stay in ketosis), eat the appropriate amount of protein to support your lean body mass and make up the rest of your calories from fat. If you are trying to lose weight, you need to eat less fat, because some of your fat calories will come from your body's fat stores. When in NK maintenance mode, the fat grams will need to be increased so you are no longer eating at a calorie deficit.

Big Stevie 10-01-2013 03:25 PM

Yes you can eat too much fat. But people don't tend to do so. Your body typically gets full. That is why Dr. Atkins tells everyone to just watch the carb levels. If you control the carbs, the fats and proteins naturally tend to take care of themselves and your daily calories tend to be in the right range as well. Of course there are exceptions. I look at my calories occasional just to be sure they are in the right range. I am closer to goal so calories are coming more into play.

emel 10-01-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.W. (Post 16623015)
I believe those doing the nutritional ketosis WOE try to follow a 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carb ratio. It sure is easy to overdo it and eat to much protein so rember about 50% of the protein you eat is converded to blood sugar.

Also, Phinney reminds us that we have to count what the mouth sees and what we're burning from stored body fat. Your suggested numbers above are great for many people for maintaining, but Phinney says that the 80% fat number should be seen as a combination of dietary fat and burned body fat.

For me, I shoot for a caloric deficit of 400 cal, which would represent 45 g body fat burning potential. What my mouth sees is 80 g protein, 25 g total carbs, and 90 g fat. The 90 g fat is 55% of my dietary intake, but add the 45 g fat burned from body fat (because I'm operating at a caloric deficit), and my total available fat for fuel is 72.5%.

Similarly, a NK plan for loss can appear to be high protein, but when you factor in the body fat calories, the protein percentage goes lower.

2muttsmom 10-01-2013 04:31 PM

Lisarray, I approach this backwards to some of the other posters here.

I keep my calories around 1,600 (yes, I count calories and found last time around that if my calories go too low I stall), make sure my fat is between 70-80% of calories and protein stays at or below 20%. That leaves about 10% +/- for carbs. But all of my carbs come from coffee, dairy, and veggies. I always plug my meals into ****** before I eat and if my fat is going to go below 70%, I adjust using butter, CO, or olive oil.

I end up eating twice a day and don't snack because I'm just not hungry.

RebeccaLatham 10-01-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16626416)
Yes you can eat too much fat. But people don't tend to do so. Your body typically gets full.

My body does not get full and I can easily eat too much fat. I have to consciously limit my fat or I eat too much and gain weight.

Quote:

That is why Dr. Atkins tells everyone to just watch the carb levels. If you control the carbs, the fats and proteins naturally tend to take care of themselves and your daily calories tend to be in the right range as well.
I have not found this to be true for me. Even if I eat zero carbs, I easily overeat both protein and fat.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just keepin' it real. :)

christina6281 10-01-2013 11:58 PM

I entered what I ate yesterday into a tracker and found out I ate over 1900 cal, 170 g fat, 90 g of protein, and 15g carbs. I think I over did it on the coconut oil. Those are just estimates but I am pretty sure I need to watch my protein and fat for today.

Big Stevie 10-02-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16626773)
My body does not get full and I can easily eat too much fat. I have to consciously limit my fat or I eat too much and gain weight.

I have not found this to be true for me. Even if I eat zero carbs, I easily overeat both protein and fat.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just keepin' it real. :)

No argument here. Like I said there are exceptions. The key to being successful on this or any other eating plan, is to figure out what works for YOU and your own situation. According to Dr. Atkins books, your experience falls outside the norm. Not saying it isn't your reality, I am sure that it is.

I fall outside the norm in terms of my sensitivity to sweeteners. They cause me to have huge fluctuations in my blood sugar and get extremely hungry. Also, coffee really causes my blood sugar to swing radically as well. Most people don't have issues with these, but I do for sure.

Big Stevie 10-02-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christina6281 (Post 16626828)
I entered what I ate yesterday into a tracker and found out I ate over 1900 cal, 170 g fat, 90 g of protein, and 15g carbs. I think I over did it on the coconut oil. Those are just estimates but I am pretty sure I need to watch my protein and fat for today.

I just ran your percentages. You had 62% fat; 33% protein; and 5% carbs.

Those ratios are right in line with where they should be so it seems like you are eating the right stuff. Now just eat a little bit less of it if you want to lower your calories. I am not sure how much you weight right now, but 1,900 calories might be perfect for you right now. Before Atkins, I was eating 3,500 calories a day. My body was used to that. I am a guy and I now stay around 1,900 calories. There are some charts that tell you how many calories you need to support each body weight. Don't be fooled into thinking you need to be at a certain weight because you are a girl, it is more dependent on your body weight than gender. And again, in Atkins, we aren't supposed to be worried about calories in the early stages, just about carbs.

christina6281 10-02-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16627191)
I just ran your percentages. You had 62% fat; 33% protein; and 5% carbs.

Those ratios are right in line with where they should be so it seems like you are eating the right stuff. Now just eat a little bit less of it if you want to lower your calories. I am not sure how much you weight right now, but 1,900 calories might be perfect for you right now. Before Atkins, I was eating 3,500 calories a day. My body was used to that. I am a guy and I now stay around 1,900 calories. There are some charts that tell you how many calories you need to support each body weight. Don't be fooled into thinking you need to be at a certain weight because you are a girl, it is more dependent on your body weight than gender. And again, in Atkins, we aren't supposed to be worried about calories in the early stages, just about carbs.

I weigh 156. When I entered all my info my calories were fine until I added the butter and coconut oil I had. I had over 600 cals in just that :sad: That stuff really adds up fast.

RebeccaLatham 10-03-2013 03:48 AM

I eat 800 calories of fat on average each day. Nothing wrong with that! It's the fuel we need to run our bodies when we eat low carb.