Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Hang in there and don't give up. I am a slow loser and just recently got to goal. It took me forever, but I did it cause I did not give up. Maybe you are losing inches? I want to wish you the best, and just stick it out, you will be so glad you did, I know I am.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Yeah- the ten lbs is from the end of April till now. I started September of last year, slowly, getting rid of one problem area at a time, wheat first. I've been on induction since April. I guess you can't count the month of June- I was eating about 40-60 total carbs a day. I guess it was around thirty five net. I was trying to increase carbs, maybe move up to OWL, but yogurt did me in. I gained five lbs.

Anyway, I've lost forty lbs, but it's taken me a year. I guess I expected more of a loss in five months on less than twenty total carbs than ten lbs. sigh. But I have lost. And giving up is not an option. I can't go back to the way things were, when I would get winded going up the stairs.

And I may have to give up dairy- I just really, really don't want to.

Last edited by Jackie123; 09-29-2013 at 08:02 AM..
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I don't understand why you aren't eating more protein and why Atkins followers always lower those along with carbs? A human cannot sustain without high fat, medium protein and low carbs. I don't understand why everyone on this forum is so afraid of fat and/or protein. The whole point of low carb is to increase those elements to gain a healthy body. I recommend you listen to Jimmy Moore's podcasts (downloadable from his site) and read his blog Livin La Vida Low Carb. That may prove to be very helpful for you.

Last edited by JennyBell; 09-29-2013 at 08:18 AM..
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
Ten pounds in five months. That's what I've lost. Ten measly little pounds. I would give up if I weren't so deathly afraid of carbs. I never cheat. I never eat grain products. I don't eat potatoes. I've almost compleatly given up AS. I keep my fat up and my protein down, and I average 1700 cals a day. I have no idea what to do next. Edited to add that I keep my carbs absolutely under 20, most days under 15, and I do resistance excercise five days a week. on the other two days I walk several miles, and swim. Vigorously.

I have nothing else to add except arrrrggggghhh!!!!
Imho, your calories are too high. I increased my protein and reduced my fat. After a bit the low carb induction levels didn't work. Now I add salad and vegetables to my protein and lose much better. My fat comes from the salad dressing or olive oil and leaner meats. I would lower your calories to 1400 1300 from lean protein and veggies.
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I do low-carb primal JUDDD, because I go a little crazy if I eat too many carbs. JUDDD works with most 'diets' -- it is more of a timing plan, than a diet. And, you CAN have food on your 'fasting' days, just not a lot. So, you don't have to have normal- or high-carb on your Up Days.

The info threads on the JUDDD page will give you a good overview, and the book is called 'The Alternate Day Diet' by Dr. Johnson. It has a very good explanation of the science behind it, but there is actually more up to date info on our JUDDD page, since the book came out about ten years ago.

I have a journal here, which I started shortly after I began JUDDDing, if you'd like to read through my experience. It is not a QUICK method, but I have found it to be a very SUSTAINABLE and ENJOYABLE one.

Good luck with whatever you try. Just keep trying. Somewhere out there is the thing, or combination that will work for YOU.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Well, if it's any consolation my last ten pounds took me a year to lose.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpunkiMama
Stats: 175.5/174.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/11/2013
I'm equally frustrated...
SpunkiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBell View Post
I don't understand why you aren't eating more protein and why Atkins followers always lower those along with carbs? A human cannot sustain without high fat, medium protein and low carbs. I don't understand why everyone on this forum is so afraid of fat and/or protein. The whole point of low carb is to increase those elements to gain a healthy body. I recommend you listen to Jimmy Moore's podcasts (downloadable from his site) and read his blog Livin La Vida Low Carb. That may prove to be very helpful for you.
I agree with this 100%. The whole diet meantality always set me up for failure. You are losing 2 pounds a month which really pretty good. Hang in there and make sure you aren't having "carb creep". Its easy to happen. Contrary to what some people may tell you, it isn't necessary to "eat more veggies" to lose or to be healthy. Keep the carbs low and increase fat and see what happens. It works for a lot of us. But don't be discouraged with what you think is slow weight loss. You are making great progress and you are improving your health. Thats whats really important.
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil10 View Post
More salad/veg could perhaps increase your weight loss, due to the extra fibre. Could be worth a go - up to you though, of course.
For years I didn't lose eating less than 20, and then later (since I wasn't losing anyway) 30 g of carb. It was bc I kept thinking I needed to increase the veggies. That's what all those skinny women eat, right? It wasn't until I basically cut out veggies that I started to lose.

And OP, ugh, I would go crazy losing 2 pounds a month. I don't think it's true that losing more than that will be muscle. I have had many months of 8 and 10 pound losses and I am still able to stand up, so there must be some muscle left.

Have you tried IF yet? If not, I highly recommend it. For me, it's more of a lifestyle thing than a weight loss thing. I think it could shake things up for you and help you get things moving, but for me, I don't actually think that I lose faster over time doing IF. But I do find it easier to eat fewer calories and to stay on my plan when I am fasting. Mostly, for you, I'm thinking your system just needs a nudge and maybe it could help.

I really hope you find your magic. I used to believe, for years, that I *could*not*lose* and I had tried a lot of stuff, thought I had tried everything. The thing that got me moving was a meat only diet (well, I also had 2 slices of cheddar/day (less than 2 g of carb worth) for my burgers and some mustard, and HWC for my coffee).

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
I'm wondering if you need to keep track of what you eating with a calorie counting app. When I did that, I couldn't believe how many calories i was realy eating. My portion sizes were out of control! The mentality of "I only ate extra veggies today, it wasn't that much! " crappily adds up fast. You could be consistently kicking yourself out of ketosis since you are so sensitive kwim? I would seriously try it...you'd be surprised how small a portion of cheese is or a portion of meat. I got a little scale and MAN was that eye opening!! Good luck....
Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Is cut out all exercise for 2 weeks and see what happens, if nothing I'd then try the Atkins fat loss kick starter diet, if nothing then is see the doc.
Seems you lost weight starting this in September, what changes have you made since then? Reverse them.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
If I exercised that much I wouldn't be able to lose. I'd gain. I have to keep my exercise easy going or the stress makes it impossible for me to lose (I do 2 days of strength training and all other days I just walk. Slowly.) Even with the little I do, I had to up my calories when I started exercising. It stalled me when I kept them too low.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
Buy the same choice bottled water at wal mart(I think it's 32 20oz bottles.) and I'm slam out at the end of the week.
Have you looked into BPA exposure?

But I agree with the thyroid tests.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
{{{{Many understanding hugs}}}

In my 20's, I didn't need to lose weight.

In my 30's, I was able to drop 50 on low carb without counting calories.

Life got hard, and I gained that back and more.

Now I am nearing 50, and my last tries have all stopped between 8 and 10 pounds. One of those times was on Weight Watchers. I was *completely* compliant and on program. Week after week, I weighed the same. The Leader didn't believe me.

I went back to low carb. I felt better, but stalled after 8-10 pounds every time I tried.

I totally get that you can be on the correct plan, compliant and not lose the weight you "should" for how and what you are eating.

That doesn't help you lose weight, but I want you to know there is at least one person who understands.

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote