Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
What does the season change bring you food wise?

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere...and we're in Spring now, it's been unseasonably warm...so today we cleaned down the BBQ and did a BBQ dinner! After a long stint of indoor cooking, oven roasting, slow cooking, pan frying...we've moved on into BBQ grilled steak etc! In summer 90% of our meals are cooked on the BBQ, and I will try anything, including legs of lamb and whole chooks. So good!

So what low carb delights does this turn of the season bring you? What have you missed over the summer/winter? What tastes are you really looking forward to?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
In the fall I tend to use my crockpot more for soups, roasts and chicken. I love to let that do my cooking.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
First I must say that I wish I were heading into summer rather than winter.

Soups! I do love to make soup.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Luckymama, you live in such a wonderful place. In the fall, I like to make pumpkin soup (which is low carb and delicious) and roasted vegetables.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Here in texas we are dread to use our ovens from May til October at least because when it's 110 outside you just can't bring yourself to heat up the house any more, so I have a lot of oven use planned for roasts, baked chickens, panned dishes like LC pizza and taco bakes. We will still use the BBQ pit outside all year round though because it's mild enough to flip a few steaks even in winter. We get the best of both seasons in the winter here!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Gail,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Luckymama, you live in such a wonderful place. In the fall, I like to make pumpkin soup (which is low carb and delicious) and roasted vegetables.
Would you be willing to share your recipe for pumpkin soup? I was eating curried pumpkin soup made with a can of pumpkin, chicken broth & curry with a TBS of Greek yogurt stirred in before eating. One can of pumpkin made two bowls of soup and I had one bowl for dinner every evening assuming it was low carb until I actually looked at the nutrition info on
the label and thought it too high in carbs. I've switched to eating a bowl of curried beef or chicken and kale soup instead but do love pumpkin soup and would like to have some occasionally.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
This is my favorite:

Pumpkin and Sausage Soup - LowCarbFriends Recipes

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post
I LOVE this soup. I made it last weekend and my non lc dh loved it too.
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebber View Post
I LOVE this soup. I made it last weekend and my non lc dh loved it too.
I've never thought of using pumpkin in a soup or anything for that matter.. What does it add to the soup? Texture and thickening? Does it taste real pumpkin-y?
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am challenging myself to try ALL the different squashes at the grocery this fall/winter, instead of just the ones I am familiar with.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
Start Date: August (this time around)
i love to do braises (i make a mean pot of short ribs) and also to experiment with different sauces on meats, chicken etc. So, i am looking forward to using my Le Crueset pieces to have some fun in the kitchen! We grill all year too, but i miss the actual cooking part.
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post
This sounds delicious. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Susan, I don't find pumpkin soup tasting particulary pumpkiny, but I do like the texture/thickening effect. Winter squash is a good sub. I think by apportioning the pumpkin over a number of servings, the carb account is not too high. When I am really lazy I just mix a can of pumpkin with a good bunch of meat broth, season with some salt (I am always needing more salt), cayenne and a good dollup of sour cream. Good, warming, filling, easy.

I am not really eating pumpkin now because of the somewhat high carb count, but it will be one of my first reintroductions when I get ot OWL.

Crockpot soups are my winter go-to. Although I have used my crockpot rather steadily through this last summer.

Last edited by Patience; 09-28-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
I am looking forward to cooking a big pot of beef vegetable soup the first time we have a cold spell that's more than one day.

I am also looking forward to cooking my turkey and ham for Christmas and not sweating like the devil while the oven is going.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Offically Fall here in Arkansas so that means more Crockpot Roasts, soups, and hopefully deer chili!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/Current-255/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
Casseroles and roasts. I have a wonderful Cider pork roast recipe made with cabbage and onion. And a stovetop chicken with Reisling made with leeks.

Last edited by heidihoopi; 09-28-2013 at 07:56 PM..
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #17

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Spring is lamb, poultry, the occasional early venture out to the wood grill for boston butt, and the first nice veggies brought up from the Carolinas.

Early summer is beautiful produce, and gearing toward lighter, salad-based meals. Our area produces magnificent blueberries and strawberries, so I try to make room for them in my meal plans a few times a week. Foods for a crowd are pulled pork bbq with slaw, bbq chicken parts, or steaks or scallops on the grill.

High summer is salad-based or other cold meals featuring beautiful tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, fresh tender steamed green beans, and other nice local produce, with local canteloupe as an occasional treat. Party foods are usually burgers and dogs, or we'll steam some crabs.

Autumn brings oysters! And soups, stews, and big old pots of steamed fresh greens. Roasts---pork loin, beef roast, or a big whole chicken with crispy skin, with tasty low carb cooked veggies.

Winter is stews and casseroles. Holiday stuff like prime rib and turkey with heavier low carb side dishes. Oysters, hot appetizer dips and spreads, hot wings or a little platter of salami, cheeses, and hot dips and spreads while watching football.

I always miss eating raw apples in the fall, and I miss some favorite carby casseroles/comfort foods in the cold seasons, but there are some great LC versions of many of the favorites, like chayote instead of fried apples, cauliflower for a mac and cheese substitute, etc.

I love eating seasonally. It feels right, and it's a great way to make use of the freshest, nicest things available.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
Start Date: ongoing
Fall here in the Ozarks,enjoying Chili and Cabbage Soup.I love the pumpkin soup recipe w hwc and chic broth in recipe room too.I use my crock pot all summer and still will.Will miss my homegrown tomatoes and basil and sun tea.
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Lola, I make a really simple pumpkin soup recipe with fresh or canned pumpkin, chicken broth, heavy cream, small amount of onion and fresh garlic and pumpkin pie spice (you can also use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and Brown Sugar Twin too). It is super easy and fast to make plus very nutricious. I make it when the weather gets colder in Boston in the fall/winter and I start to crave soup and other comfort foods.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, glamorous Gail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Lola, I make a really simple pumpkin soup recipe with fresh or canned pumpkin, chicken broth, heavy cream, small amount of onion and fresh garlic and pumpkin pie spice (you can also use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and Brown Sugar Twin too). It is super easy and fast to make plus very nutricious. I make it when the weather gets colder in Boston in the fall/winter and I start to crave soup and other comfort foods.
Your version sounds yummy. I'm still a little carb phobic so although I love pumpkin I'm somewhat scared of it. And (call me paranoid) last year I gave up all sugar substitutes having read too much about the potential dangers of the chemicals involved. I do think that pumpkin is very nutritious and I'm planning to enjoy this soup again once I begin to feel more confident. When I do I'll experiment by replacing the curry I've been using with the spices you suggest. Thanks, lovely lady.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Ahh these are awesome! I think it's just so amazing we can be experiencing different seasons all at the same time we did an oven roast chook last night...out of habit, and it's still cooler at night, my eldest was disappointed we weren't going to BBQ it whole! And no one is wanting those steamed veg any more...they are devouring salads!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Offically Fall here in Arkansas so that means more Crockpot Roasts, soups, and hopefully deer chili!
Venison..... yummy. My step-father used to go hunting and put up lots of deer meat.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #23

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSweetForMe View Post
Venison..... yummy. My step-father used to go hunting and put up lots of deer meat.
Duh. I forgot to include venison and fish we catch on my lists. We usually grill the tenderloin in the summer and use the bigger cuts as roasts, stews, and BBQ in the cooler months. We've eaten pretty much all the fish already. Summertime fish fries are a fun way to feed a crowd. We're still getting puppy drum--had some this weekend--- and rockfish come in very soon. My FIL likes to add a couple of baked rockfish to our holiday dinners.

Last edited by emel; 09-30-2013 at 01:38 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote