Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Little experiment (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/813029-little-experiment.html)

susan41 09-27-2013 06:50 PM

Little experiment

So... I manage a bar, and I drink often. Not like getting just trashed or anything, but I like a rum and diet often and have not stopped drinking because of LC. I've noticed I drink less because of my tolerance level has changed for sure, plus the hangovers are atrocious the few times I've not respected the LC woe and drank more than 4.

That said, I've had great induction weightloss and hit that little stall that I know happens and I'm sure it's the rum that's keeping it from continuing at a better clip than it has.

So the experiment begins today... I'm going to take 7 days with the same woe but without drinking and see if that kicks off a little whoosh.

Wish me luck and losses!

buttoni 09-27-2013 07:19 PM

I think you'll see a drop, Susan. I know what you mean about the impact of alcohol when in ketosis. Even 2 T. in a cream sauce did me in my first 6 months or so LC'ing. I'm just up the road from you in Temple. :)

susan41 09-27-2013 07:31 PM

I think I will too, and I have to remind myself though that it may not turn out to be the alcohol that makes a difference, because I've been at 204/205 for almost 2 weeks so I'm sorta due for a loss.

Also what just occurred to me after I posted this was this will also cut down my diet coke consumption to almost 0 meaning no aspertame... What if it's the artificial sweetener and not the booze? Lol. Anyways, will deal with that after the 7 days.

Love temple :) I'm actually in liberty hill area.. I say Austin because no one knows where LH is!

emel 09-28-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susan41 (Post 16621969)
I think I will too, and I have to remind myself though that it may not turn out to be the alcohol that makes a difference, because I've been at 204/205 for almost 2 weeks so I'm sorta due for a loss.

Also what just occurred to me after I posted this was this will also cut down my diet coke consumption to almost 0 meaning no aspertame... What if it's the artificial sweetener and not the booze? Lol. Anyways, will deal with that after the 7 days.

Love temple :) I'm actually in liberty hill area.. I say Austin because no one knows where LH is!

So your experiment could be to go without alcohol for a while. And also go without the artificial sweeteners.
Then try having rum as you normally drink it for a week (as a kind of a control to the experiment). Then do a week with rum and seltzer with a squirt of a fruity davinci syrup to see if you can handle sucralose instead of aspertame.

If you're like me, you'll need to keep a little journal about what you had (for me I'd forget which leg of the experiment netted which losses if I didn't write it down lol)

DiamondDeb 09-28-2013 08:00 AM

Good luck with your experiment!

Based on the fact that our bodies always burn calories from alcohol before they burn anything else I'd say you should see a difference in fat loss (not necessarily on the scale) from eliminating it.

I never made a decision to eliminate alcohol but, given what I know, I haven't wanted alcohol more than I wanted to burn fat in a long time. I always think for a second & then decide that iced tea or water will do just fine. Alcohol is, obviously, not that important to me. I don't miss it at all.

AS make a difference for some people but not for others. I gave up AS years ago but it made no difference in my weight loss or how I felt.

Olive 09-28-2013 08:37 AM

I went from drinking at least 1 drink or glass of wine every day pre-LC to having one every 2-3 weeks. I don't find that I crave it -- imagine that it wd stall me horribly though.

Patience 09-28-2013 10:26 AM

I've let the alchohol go too . . . only had a couple of drinks in the last 6 months.
I was drinking too much wine, for sure. I am certain that eliminating it has helped my weight loss. There are many things I'll add back in OWL before adding alcohol.

clackley 09-28-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susan41 (Post 16621969)

Confounding factors!!! It is so difficult to tease out what is what! I suggest repeating in reverse and then doing it again.

susan41 09-29-2013 08:31 AM

We'll, 2 days in and not an oz lost... Really missing the diet coke aspect of my evenings and have been trying not to cave in to one. Don't miss the rum, just the diet coke. Makes me wonder which one I'm more addicted to.

susan41 09-30-2013 07:59 AM

We'll this mornings surprise is a welcome one... 201.4. Honestly had to take 3 steps back, get on the scales again, and then off... Moved the scales to a different location and back on again. 201.4

Feel kinda dehydrated so I know that # won't stick... But Wow.
Going to continue the rest of my experiment though to see if it makes it stick.

If this works? I'm going to be really mad at myself for not cutting both rum and diet cokes out sooner! Lol.

emel 09-30-2013 12:49 PM

Wow! Talk about a motivator... nice whoosh!

DiamondDeb 09-30-2013 03:47 PM

YES! :up:

Don't beat yourself up for not doing it sooner. Pat yourself on the back for trying it at all!

susan41 10-01-2013 08:18 AM

So, 203 this morning with the expected bounce

Not missing the rum at all. But wow the craving for a diet coke is unreal. Had a bad headache yday that I'm sure was caused by diet coke withdrawal. Hoping today is better.

Lots of water.

snowangel9 10-01-2013 01:05 PM

Hey Susan,

I gave up diet coke a few years ago. It was hard & like you described, headach-ie and just overall icky. Aspartame is really bad for us, does not plan nice with our liver. I drank the stuff like it was water for more years than I care to admit. Your craving for it should tell you something. Just drink more water & you'll get your whoosh back!

I think you should pat yourself on the back for figuring this out! :)

skinni 10-01-2013 02:43 PM

I wonder if the withdrawal could be partially due to caffeine. Do you drink coffee in the mornings? If so, it's the diet soda...

Congrats on your drop! Alcohol totally stalls me.

JennyBell 10-01-2013 04:34 PM

Consuming alcohol can effect your metabolism up to 72 hours after your last sip. Maybe you are experiencing the lower metabolism?

susan41 10-01-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinni (Post 16626370)
I wonder if the withdrawal could be partially due to caffeine. Do you drink coffee in the mornings? If so, it's the diet soda...

Congrats on your drop! Alcohol totally stalls me.

Thanks, I do drink coffee, normally 3 cups(mugs) with sweet n low and hwc... So that means I've not cut out all AS , just the aspertame in diet cokes. The headaches I would like to blame off on lack of caffeine but I can't know for sure that it's the reason and not the aspertame.

The really really odd part is that I am not missing the rum AT ALL. Huge surprise for me as I said before... I've been a bar manager/bartender for 20+ years and it's an integral part of my world. But... Nada. The no drinking rum part is easy.

The diet cokes on the other hand... Wow. The addiction I must have to them is incredible. Not just in drinks after work, but I used to drink them all day long immediately (some times with.. ) coffee. So now once this little experiment is over I need to decide what the real addiction is, diet cokes with aspertame or caffeine. Both of which I eventually want to stop being a slave to.

The good news is, out of all my addictions. Potato chips is beaten. Enchiladas is beaten, sandwiches with 3 slices of bread is beaten, candy is beaten. So....

It's working, one trial at a time!