Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sooshi
Start Date: 5th June 2010
Good way to prevent/eliminate/reduce water retention after a carb fest?

So it's Macmillan Coffee morning today, and I've eaten cake (hey, sometimes it happens).

I say that, but what also happens is I get bloaty and crampy and sluggish and well, you know how it is.

I'm wondering if there's anything proactive I can to do minimise the impact (particularly of the water retention) of this carb fest.

Usually I just wait it out and lament my weakness... which doesn't strike me as very healthy, and I don't think it's bad to indulge occasionally.
sooshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/182/183 (173?)
WOE: JUDDD/CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
i have regular carb fests. that's life! enjoy it! imho

this works like magic:

follow your carb fest with 1-2 meat/egg days. i'm on juddd, so oftentimes after a carb fest, i'll have just 1 meat/egg day, followed by a regular DD. just 1 meat/egg day takes it off for me. i always stabilize after 1 meat/egg & 1 DD.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 09-27-2013 at 06:40 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmberRose
Stats: 195ish/165ish/140ish
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: 04/25/2010
I'm not sure if there is anything you can do proactively but it's common knowledge that drinking water helps reduce water retention...so my suggestion and from my own personal experience is to drink lots of water after you indulge in carbs. I used to have 1 cheat meal a week and after that cheat meal, I would drink lots of water and I hardly ever saw any adverse effects on the scale or felt sluggish. Good Luck!
AmberRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Ooooh, so induction level carbs? I could try that.. I usually just back to my normal diet, never considered going super low carb...

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberRose View Post
I'm not sure if there is anything you can do proactively but it's common knowledge that drinking water helps reduce water retention...so my suggestion and from my own personal experience is to drink lots of water after you indulge in carbs. I used to have 1 cheat meal a week and after that cheat meal, I would drink lots of water and I hardly ever saw any adverse effects on the scale or felt sluggish. Good Luck!
So, before/during/after the cheat get drinking more than usual? I can't say I've tried this before, so now's the time to try!
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/149/?
WOE: lc
Usually I am not hungry after the fest and go many hours without food and I drink lots of hot lemon water and/or cucumber water.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes. go to Peter Attila' s blog and look for a post about, say, a month ago (he doesn't post that often, so this isn't a huge chore) talking about how much carb he can eat without reloading his liver with glycogen, which is what you are talking about when you talk about the water weight.

"water retention" normally implies water throughout your system, which is a totally different thing than the water weight you gain from eating carbs after being low carb for awhile. you are just paying back what I call "the Atkins Loan."

it's perfectly normal for the liver to restock glycogen when you eat carbs. there are other reasons going in and out of ketosis isn't great, but don't think the water weight gain part of it is the problem. I don't think that's the unhealthy part, it's just a little side thing going on. and you lose the water again as soon as your body uses up that sugar stored in your liver.

Last edited by ravenrose; 09-27-2013 at 08:26 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/182/183 (173?)
WOE: JUDDD/CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post

"water retention" normally implies water throughout your system, which is a totally different thing than the water weight you gain from eating carbs after being low carb for awhile. you are just paying back what I call "the Atkins Loan."
Well put. i don't low carb generally, anymore, so my tweak might not affect someone else, as it does for me.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I don't do carb fests but I have followed plans in the past that included free days/free meals. My friends & I got to be very good at dumping the water weight.

The rule of thumb for getting rid of water weight gain after indulging is to eat very clean - no processed foods. You don't need to do anything extreme. Just get back to your normal eating plan.

Increasing your water (not soda, coffee, or other drinks) intake by at least one liter over the day can help a lot. Only do this if you can spread it out over the day. Drinking a liter of water in 10 minutes at the end of the day defeats the purpose.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
yes. go to Peter Attila' s blog and look for a post about, say, a month ago (he doesn't post that often, so this isn't a huge chore) talking about how much carb he can eat without reloading his liver with glycogen, which is what you are talking about when you talk about the water weight.

it's perfectly normal for the liver to restock glycogen when you eat carbs. there are other reasons going in and out of ketosis isn't great, but don't think the water weight gain part of it is the problem. I don't think that's the unhealthy part, it's just a little side thing going on. and you lose the water again as soon as your body uses up that sugar stored in your liver.
interseting you said this, cause I was off reading on the net and found a site where it was explaining this exact situation. all about the glycogen in the liver etc. and how it effects us. surprised to read this reply when I was just reading about this
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
there are other reasons going in and out of ketosis isn't great....
Would you say more on this, ravenrose?
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote