Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msree
Binge!!

I was doing so well! I stepped on the scale and saw that I was 2lbs up, Grrrrr! So what did I do? I ate everything in sight, oh my! Now I am so angry at myself JUST so stupid!
msree is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Get over it and get back on track...I am glad you are angry because at least you realize you set yourself back a bit...it's better than shrugging and saying "oh well", at least it is in my book...you are angry because you let yourself down... Now move on and conitnue on plan as a reward to yourself...you were angry and medicated the anger with the wrong food ...your brain is a very strong organ and wanted to be made happy after the disappointment on the scale, it convinced you eating those foods would help...next time try not to medicate with bad foods and just realize the scale will fluctuate...all we can do is stay the course and things will happen.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msree
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Get over it and get back on track...I am glad you are angry because at least you realize you set yourself back a bit...it's better than shrugging and saying "oh well", at least it is in my book...you are angry because you let yourself down... Now move on and conitnue on plan as a reward to yourself...you were angry and medicated the anger with the wrong food ...your brain is a very strong organ and wanted to be made happy after the disappointment on the scale, it convinced you eating those foods would help...next time try not to medicate with bad foods and just realize the scale will fluctuate...all we can do is stay the course and things will happen.
Thank you so much for responding. I am still reeling from my reaction....and I thought that I was in control of my eating! I wonder if I will ever be in control? Now I must start again tomorrow, and I will....
msree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I did it. a few times just like that

why? who knows. disappointment comes flooding and eating is a good way to comfort yourself I guess for me??

just stay the course. there will be alot of detours along the way, just get thru and keep your eye on the end result. eventually we all hit goal, you will too
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
Jump back on and drink lots of water. You will drop that 2 lbs in no time
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
That is one of my biggest triggers for a binge. It is so hard to be stuck or going up when you're not cheating. I know it happens. I'm in that position at the moment. I've just not quit currently. Frustrating as can be.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It's okay if you use it as a learning experience and hop back on the wagon.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
you were angry and medicated the anger with the wrong food ...
Or medicating anger with any food. This seems to be a problem among many of us -- self medicating to cope with our anger, stress and frustration with food. IT doesn't even work, but I still do it! That is what I am trying to understand about myself. And THAT is a problem for a lot of us and contributed to how we got overweight in the first place, myself included.

So, it would seem that we, meaning those of us who practice this method of self-medicating, need to find new ways of comforting ourselves emotionally and relieving anger and stress rather than turning to food...or drugs, or alcohol, or sex, or .....does anyone else see a pattern here? This is the next "leg" of my journey of understanding what my real problem is. It's emotional. I don't have basic emotional self-care skills. Sad.

Last edited by miboje; 09-26-2013 at 07:36 AM..
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It's okay if you use it as a learning experience and hop back on the wagon.
It's all about attitude, as clackley says, so change your thinking! Make this a positive.

1. Did you notice any particular food allergies? If so, these are foods you'll likely avoid for a long time to come.
2. Did any foods not affect you negatively at all? These are potential options to add back later.
3. Did those things even taste as good as you thought they would? One thing I've learned over time is that the first bite tastes the best. Now, if I really want something, I only take that one bite.
4. Do you miss it enough to try a low-carb version of it? There are plenty of recipes out there that will possibly help, in that regard.

Use this as a grand, exciting opportunity to take a quick inventory of what you now know as a result of this experiment.

Throw regret aside. Embrace learning. There is no such a thing as a failed experiment because even so-called failures lead us to greater knowledge.

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Low carb
It's human to slip now & then. It doesn't have to be a big deal though. Carry on as if it never happened and be aware of your triggers as you learn them. It's what you eat most of the time that matters. This is definitely a learning experience. The scale will lie to you, one day it says one thing, down 5 lbs the next, up 3 lbs the next..... I try not to weigh more than once a week if I can resist it.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I hate bathroom scales, I wish they didn't sell them. A two pound increase is not necessarily an increase in bodyfat. It could also be water retention, glycogen storage and an increase in lean mass. A temporary increase like that is most likely water retention although in can also be glycogen storage. 2lbs of body fat and/or lean mass increase is actually difficult to do. It usually takes a lot more time and a lot more overeating to do that type of increase.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValidRouge
Stats: 256/232.4/180
Start Date: Restart 7/7/2013
Same thing happened to me earlier this week. I was already struggling with frustration on the scale bouncing up and down for what seemed like ages, and then I finished a really stressful project at work and decided to 'reward' myself at the company dinner with a no-no. That triggered a big ole binge (I already ate ____, so I might as well go crazy and eat everything else I want). I managed to get myself back on track by lurking here (but not posting, until today). Your post and the support you got here, helped me too. So, thanks.

I've struggled for years now with this type of behavior. I hope I can one day overcome, not so much the slip...those things are going to happen from time to time...but being able to overcome letting it all go down the drain just because I had a "relapse".
ValidRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I struggle with this too. Most mornings, I walk through the grocery store with no problem, but on the days that I've noticed a gain, or no loss when I expected one, on the scale, I find that I'm strongly tempted as I walk through the bakery section and smell the donuts and bread baking. I smell it every morning, but it's only on those mornings when I'm disappointed with the scale that I even feel tempted.

What helps me it to think about how I'll feel AFTER I eat it. I know I'll feel angry and disappointed in myself if I cave to a binge. I tell myself that if I really want something, I'll plan an off plan treat or meal, but not just cave to temptation. I also think about how I'll feel in the morning when I have to face the scale knowing that I didn't stay on plan. For me, this helps me to keep my head and not just cave to temptation.

The fact that you got right back on plan is a huge victory and you should be proud of yourself for that!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Throw regret aside. Embrace learning. There is no such a thing as a failed experiment because even so-called failures lead us to greater knowledge.
This is so true.

You DO have control over your eating. You were angry and frustrated and chose to eat things. When I have done that in the past, I almost had an "I'll show you" attitude...lol...like I was punishing myself (or the scale)! I may be the only one who does things with a motivation like that....but my point is that you DID show control. You got angry over your reaction to the scale and rededicated yourself to healthier eating. You didn't throw in the towel. That, in itself, is a victory!

We are all human. Life is a series of learning experiences. You just experienced a big one (that most of us have had, btw...). Forgive yourself and move on.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I agree with everyone, just get back back on track and don't let this derail you. We all are human and make mistakes from time to time. You will be back on board in no time.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote