Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neeves
Start Date: September 4 2013
new here, and new to lowcarb/keto. would like some personal advice?

Hello! I'm new to this site, so I'm very sorry if I've posted this question in the wrong section? I'm sure there are many questions like this on this site as well, so sorry for being repetitive. I'd just like to know from experienced lowcarbers if there's anything wrong with my diet and routine. Am I doing too much? Or not eating enough, maybe?

I'm female, 18 yrs, 152 pounds, 5'1 tall, and have a bmr of 1520 calories. I started a ketogenic diet on September 4, and have been using ketostix to see how I'm doing. The ketostix test results have come out 'large' since the 3rd or 4th day, between 80 to 160mg. Sometimes 'moderate' if I have a bit too much cheese.

I count, measure, and weigh everything that I eat and drink, and keep track of it all with a fitness app. I usually always have over 1500 calories per day, never more than 1800. My calories from fat are always over 65%, my calories from protein are usually over 25% and never more than 35%. My calories from carbs are never more than 10%. I usually have about 115-130 grams of fat per day, 95-125 grams of protein, and less than 15 grams of carbs. The numbers vary, but my "calorie breakdown" is usually always balanced the way most keto advice websites say it should be.

I usually drink four or five 16oz bottles of water a day, and two or three cups of green tea. My diet mostly consists of eggs, chicken, fish, romaine lettuce, spinach, ham or turkey slices, lots of olive oil for fat (going to start having coconut oil too), some butter for cooking, some onions, some cheese, and a Whey Protein Isolate shake mixed with unsweetened almond milk after my workout. I don't eat any grains, legumes, or fruit. I don't cheat, the most I'll do is have one strawberry to satisfy my sweet tooth at night lol. I don't drink alcohol or use any artificial sweeteners for anything, because I've read about how that can negatively affect keto. Although for the past few days I've been drinking AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes after my workout, which have artificial sweeteners, since I'm currently waiting for my new order of whey protein to arrive in the mail.

I exercise 5-6 times a week. For the past 3 weeks I've been doing the 'medium' and 'hard' Slim In 6 aerobics videos, which are both over 40+ minutes long and definitely get my heart rate up. I've also recently joined the gym and plan to start doing 40+ minutes of cardio on the elliptical, keeping my heart rate over 185 (according to the heart rate monitor on the machine).

But I've been kind of annoyed at the fact that I haven't lost any weight at all on the scale. Of course, it's only been about 3 weeks, so I know I need to be patient. Also, I know that the number on the scale doesn't matter, but someone my height should be around 120 pounds, right? My waist does look a bit smaller and my jeans are a bit looser, and I can see some more definition in my arms. But it's strange that I haven't even lost at least 2 pounds..

Sorry for the essay. So, any advice? Is there anything I should change? Should I be eating more calories? Should I try calorie shifting? Less exercise? I wasn't expecting to lose 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks, but I would like to lose at least 1-2 pounds a week. Do I just need to be more patient? Thanks for the help!

neeves is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02

We were just talking about this. You're smaller (because your clothes fit differently), so you're obviously losing fat, but you're worried that you're doing something wrong?

You're doing fine. You're losing fat and retaining a bit of water, likely because of your exercise. Read this (and ignore the diet advice) to understand why the scale doesn't tell the whole story.

I weigh daily and measure monthly, so I can see how things are going on both fronts. If you didn't measured yourself at the start, do so now. Measurements and your clothes are a much better (more accurate) way to tell if you're losing fat.

Depending on your body composition, down the line you may want to start to watch your protein intake. For someone your height and goal weight it MIGHT be a bit on the high side. Just as a reference, I'm 5'6", and have 154 lbs of lean body mass, and my daily protein goal is about 120g. But I only say that for a time when you may actually not be losing. Which is not now. You are losing now, so be patient with the scale.

Edited to add this thread: When to tweak and when to wait.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 09-25-2013 at 01:09 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks! I just read the "When to tweak and when to wait" thread, and it describes me perfectly lol. Posting my daily diet and stuff. Ahh *cringe* I guess I'm just worried that I might be going too extreme, and shocking my body into holding onto the fat? But thanks, I'll definitely hold on for the next 3-4 weeks to see if I make any progress on the scale, but I won't get too stressed about it. And I haven't measured myself yet, I need to buy a tape measure, hopefully this week.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't worry, you're doing fine. It's a lot to take in.

And shoot, I just saw that I forgot to add the first link I was referencing in my reply when I said to ignore the diet advice: Article: Why the Scale Lies

Sorry for the brain fart.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I used to be a lot like you. I put everything into a diet/workout app and I would fret over every excess calorie I ate, or every calorie I failed to burn at my workout. I was beginning to drive myself crazy. I had to simplify.

The types of foods you are eating sound superb. If I were you, I'd just make sure my house was stocked with lots of low carb foods and eat when I was hungry, stop when I was full. I think your program is sound, it just needs a good long stretch of time and you will get the results you seek. Good luck.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValidRouge
Stats: 256/232.4/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 7/7/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeves View Post
I guess I'm just worried that I might be going too extreme, and shocking my body into holding onto the fat?
I say your menus sound superb and the exercise good too. I wouldn't say you're going too extreme...but I would make one small correction to the way you're thinking. I do think you're body may be a little shocked but it's more likely to be holding on to WATER and not fat. Since your clothes are looser, it is working. Remember, water can also take up some space on your body as well as mask fat loss on the scales. Keep doing what you're doing, and your body will fall into it's new reality and you'll get a nice whoosh of both weight and inches.
ValidRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Hello! I'm new to this site, so I'm very sorry if I've posted this question in the wrong section? I'm sure there are many questions like this on this site as well, so sorry for being repetitive. I'd just like to know from experienced lowcarbers if there's anything wrong with my diet and routine. Am I doing too much? Or not eating enough, maybe?

I'm female, 18 yrs, 152 pounds, 5'1 tall, and have a bmr of 1520 calories. I started a ketogenic diet on September 4, and have been using ketostix to see how I'm doing. The ketostix test results have come out 'large' since the 3rd or 4th day, between 80 to 160mg. Sometimes 'moderate' if I have a bit too much cheese.

I count, measure, and weigh everything that I eat and drink, and keep track of it all with a fitness app. I usually always have over 1500 calories per day, never more than 1800. My calories from fat are always over 65%, my calories from protein are usually over 25% and never more than 35%. My calories from carbs are never more than 10%. I usually have about 115-130 grams of fat per day, 95-125 grams of protein, and less than 15 grams of carbs. The numbers vary, but my "calorie breakdown" is usually always balanced the way most keto advice websites say it should be.

I usually drink four or five 16oz bottles of water a day, and two or three cups of green tea. My diet mostly consists of eggs, chicken, fish, romaine lettuce, spinach, ham or turkey slices, lots of olive oil for fat (going to start having coconut oil too), some butter for cooking, some onions, some cheese, and a Whey Protein Isolate shake mixed with unsweetened almond milk after my workout. I don't eat any grains, legumes, or fruit. I don't cheat, the most I'll do is have one strawberry to satisfy my sweet tooth at night lol. I don't drink alcohol or use any artificial sweeteners for anything, because I've read about how that can negatively affect keto. Although for the past few days I've been drinking AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes after my workout, which have artificial sweeteners, since I'm currently waiting for my new order of whey protein to arrive in the mail.

I exercise 5-6 times a week. For the past 3 weeks I've been doing the 'medium' and 'hard' Slim In 6 aerobics videos, which are both over 40+ minutes long and definitely get my heart rate up. I've also recently joined the gym and plan to start doing 40+ minutes of cardio on the elliptical, keeping my heart rate over 185 (according to the heart rate monitor on the machine).

But I've been kind of annoyed at the fact that I haven't lost any weight at all on the scale. Of course, it's only been about 3 weeks, so I know I need to be patient. Also, I know that the number on the scale doesn't matter, but someone my height should be around 120 pounds, right? My waist does look a bit smaller and my jeans are a bit looser, and I can see some more definition in my arms. But it's strange that I haven't even lost at least 2 pounds..

Sorry for the essay. So, any advice? Is there anything I should change? Should I be eating more calories? Should I try calorie shifting? Less exercise? I wasn't expecting to lose 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks, but I would like to lose at least 1-2 pounds a week. Do I just need to be more patient? Thanks for the help!

I know this seems counter intuitive but this amount of exercise may be putting too much stress on your body and preventing weight loss. Excercise does not generally cause weight loss.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
I just want to throw something else in the mix here--and it's completely anecdotal. When I was your age, I played sports in school. I was very slender. There was a shorter, very physically fit girl on my team who weighed about 15-20 pounds more than me, yet she was smaller in height, size, and appearance. She didn't look like she had an extra ounce to lose. I puzzled over that back then. Now I understand it was because her muscles weighed more.

You are young and your muscles develop more quickly than us more...ahem...."seasoned" ladies. Because of that, your exercise regimen is probably adding pounds while your eating regimen is dropping them. In addition, muscle holds water when it has been vigorously stressed from exercise. It aids in the recovery and rebuilding. It's not a bad thing in any way. But this weight WILL appear on the scale.

Please do not focus on the scale. If you are enjoying your current level of exercise and feel good, just stay with it. It may slow down "scale losses", but it improves your overall health and dramatically improves your body composition. BUT, if scale losses are very important to you, slow down on the exercise and you'll begin to see the pounds drop. Either way, you are doing wonderful things for your health and your weight will fall in line in due time.

One more thing.....congratulations on taking control of your health at such a young age! Wish I had had the foresight and gumption to do the same thing!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Thanks! I just read the "When to tweak and when to wait" thread, and it describes me perfectly lol. Posting my daily diet and stuff. Ahh *cringe* I guess I'm just worried that I might be going too extreme, and shocking my body into holding onto the fat? But thanks, I'll definitely hold on for the next 3-4 weeks to see if I make any progress on the scale, but I won't get too stressed about it. And I haven't measured myself yet, I need to buy a tape measure, hopefully this week.
As the writer of that post, I just want to be clear that I did not mean to say folks shouldn't post their menus. It's a great way to check your woe out and catch anything obvious and folks here know a lot and really helped educate me. My point was to give it time before you over tweak and deprive yourself of things you don't need to that will make it harder to maintain your woe.

It sounds like you're doing great and I can only underline what Ntombi said. My clothes are ALWAYS ahead of the scale. I'll notice something is loser and then maybe the next week, the scale moves again. Good luck and like I tell myself, persistence gets you almost everything you set your hat on, as long as it's a reasonable goal to being with.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post

We were just talking about this. You're smaller (because your clothes fit differently), so you're obviously losing fat, but you're worried that you're doing something wrong?

You're doing fine. You're losing fat and retaining a bit of water, likely because of your exercise. Read this (and ignore the diet advice) to understand why the scale doesn't tell the whole story.

I weigh daily and measure monthly, so I can see how things are going on both fronts. If you didn't measured yourself at the start, do so now. Measurements and your clothes are a much better (more accurate) way to tell if you're losing fat.

Depending on your body composition, down the line you may want to start to watch your protein intake. For someone your height and goal weight it MIGHT be a bit on the high side. Just as a reference, I'm 5'6", and have 154 lbs of lean body mass, and my daily protein goal is about 120g. But I only say that for a time when you may actually not be losing. Which is not now. You are losing now, so be patient with the scale.

Edited to add this thread: When to tweak and when to wait.
Ntombi, OT, but I just wanted to tell you I made your jalapeno poppers last night, and OH LORD, they are delishmo. Hubby had a boys night and only got to have the two left. But he liked them so much I made them again for dinner tonight. He said they were better than any popper he's ever had in a restaurant, and I agree.

Only thing I didn't have was the liquid smoke, thought we had some, but it was gone. But almost scary to think that something might make this even better. So thanks for the recipe. LC recipes this good, and also this easy, are like gold to me.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm so glad! I love them too. I go through phases when I make them a couple of times a week, and then not at all for a month or two, but they're always good.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the tips and help, everyone!