LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Any thoughts on soybeans.....?

I made chili a few months ago and, while it was good, I really missed the beans! Another thing is that the chili just doesn't go very far without the added bulk of the beans. I recently read online about using soybeans in chili, as they are low carb. The sticking point for me--the reason I haven't used them yet--is the conflicting information about the health implications of using soy. I have 3 or 4 cans that I ordered from Netrition, but just haven't been able to use them yet. So, my question is this: what are your thoughts on soybeans? I would appreciate any thoughts!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I stay away from soy. I have a thyroid problem and soy can make that worse. My sons and DH don't need the phytoestrogens.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I refuse to eat soy. If you are interested in reading more about the dangers of soy, go to the Weston A. Price website and search for soy.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
No soy here. Aside from the fact that I'm deathly allergic, I'm also hypothyroid, and (non-fermented) soy is not healthy for anyone, especially women.

On a side note, I'm firmly in the no bean chili camp!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I am allergic to soy. What I say is first establish that you're not allergic to it, since it's one of the major food allergies out there. Then, if it works for you and you want to use it occasionally, why not?
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I am allergic to soy. What I say is first establish that you're not allergic to it, since it's one of the major food allergies out there. Then, if it works for you and you want to use it occasionally, why not?
For the answer to that question, look to the Weston A. Price Foundation. There are things that soy will do to your health that are not immediately obvious. In other words, you may think it is "working", but there is more going on than you know.

Confused About Soy?--Soy Dangers Summarized

High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking. High phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.

Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.

Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.

Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.

Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.

Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.

Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.

Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.

Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.

Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
This is jmo...but I'd never ingest soy if it's unfermented. Even then, in very limited quantity. I'd never, ever, ever give it to my kids. Again, jmo.

Not sure if something like diced turnip would give you some texture? I'm a huge fan of beans in chili too. I'm not helping. lol
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I don't care for beans in chilli and they cause terrible abdominal distress for me any how...I just use different meats for texture and some times dice up some mushrooms for a different texture...good luck on your chilli endeavors.

I am also a lil afraid of soy since reading more about it.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I don't care for beans in chilli and they cause terrible abdominal distress for me any how...I just use different meats for texture and some times dice up some mushrooms for a different texture...good luck on your chilli endeavors.

I am also a lil afraid of soy since reading more about it.
Omgoodness! Mushrooms might be just the thing. A couple of portabellas cut into little chunks. I bet they would stay just firm enough. Great idea!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
something there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Train View Post
Omgoodness! Mushrooms might be just the thing. A couple of portabellas cut into little chunks. I bet they would stay just firm enough. Great idea!
Mushrooms would definitely have a cool mouth feel to them. What a great idea!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I am aware of the problem with soybeans and avoid them in almost all forms, but I do sometimes put a can of the black soybeans in a chile mixture. It really addresses my bean craving which is pretty strong having been a vegetarian for decades. I am not proud of using them, but it seems my best compromise. Maybe one can every 2 months?

I can't imagine putting mushrooms in chile! it might be interesting, but it wouldn't taste like chile at all to me.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I am aware of the problem with soybeans and avoid them in almost all forms, but I do sometimes put a can of the black soybeans in a chile mixture. It really addresses my bean craving which is pretty strong having been a vegetarian for decades. I am not proud of using them, but it seems my best compromise. Maybe one can every 2 months?

I can't imagine putting mushrooms in chile! it might be interesting, but it wouldn't taste like chile at all to me.
Goodness! I hope we didn't make you feel like you needed to tuck your head for eating soybeans. I tend to get a bit preachy. Every once in a long while shouldn't be that bad.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
something there

One of my favorite pre-made chilis ever contains black soybeans, and while I can't partake, sometimes I still do (and double up on the Claritin): LC Homestyles
Old 09-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I don't eat beans very often, usually only in chili, but I don't do the soy black beans anymore as I'm avoiding soy, too. Instead, I've shifted to kidney beans and small red beans on the rare occasion I eat beans. Kidney beans have 11 NC per ˝ cup but they have real tough outer skins. Small red beans have 12g net carbs per ˝ cup but the outer skin is tender. Pintos, my favorite beans with a distinctive flavor IMO, have 15 NC per ˝ cup and I use them when that flavor is key to the recipe I'm making (like refried beans). No matter which one I use, I only put 1 can in a very large pot of chili, so each serving gets very few of them.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
From what I understand, most soybeans are GMO these days which might another reason you may want to avoid them. Also, I think there may be a link between soy and certain cancers.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Wow, great feedback! I appreciate it very much. I've been so very hesitant to use them. I suppose there was good cause for that, huh?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/180/165
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I don't eat that much soy, and don't seem to have a problem with it when I do. But one thing a pal here awakened me to is BLACK SOY BEANS, which are much lower in carbs then regular soybeans. You can buy them in a can.

They are not as smushy as the the beans you may love, texture wise, but that doesn't bother me. I have made chili with them, and like it just fine. But then for me, I don't like a ton of beans in my chili. More onion, hamburger and yes, I do throw in mushrooms. But chili just doesn't seem right w/out some beans. So if you don't have an allergy to soy, and are only eating it now and then, I suggest you try the black soybeans and see what you think.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I don't eat that much soy, and don't seem to have a problem with it when I do. But one thing a pal here awakened me to is BLACK SOY BEANS, which are much lower in carbs then regular soybeans. You can buy them in a can.

They are not as smushy as the the beans you may love, texture wise, but that doesn't bother me. I have made chili with them, and like it just fine. But then for me, I don't like a ton of beans in my chili. More onion, hamburger and yes, I do throw in mushrooms. But chili just doesn't seem right w/out some beans. So if you don't have an allergy to soy, and are only eating it now and then, I suggest you try the black soybeans and see what you think.
Blue Skies--canned black soybeans are actually what I have. Are they different than regular soybeans with regards to health issues?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/195/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
I made chili a few months ago and, while it was good, I really missed the beans! Another thing is that the chili just doesn't go very far without the added bulk of the beans. I recently read online about using soybeans in chili, as they are low carb. The sticking point for me--the reason I haven't used them yet--is the conflicting information about the health implications of using soy. I have 3 or 4 cans that I ordered from Netrition, but just haven't been able to use them yet. So, my question is this: what are your thoughts on soybeans? I would appreciate any thoughts!
Beans in chili?!!!! The Texan in me just passed out! Jk... I understand that other places/people enjoy chili with beans, myself no... And as far soy goes, I've read enough that I shy away from all soy products. I like the idea of bulking up chili with mushrooms though, good idea for whoever brought that up.
susan41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/180/165
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
Blue Skies--canned black soybeans are actually what I have. Are they different than regular soybeans with regards to health issues?
I honestly don't know, but I suspect not. I do know they're lower in carbs by quite a bit than regular soybeans. I did try to google this, but it got confusing.

There's no doubt that there's a lot of bad press out there about soy these days. And fermented vs. unfermented seems to be the issue. I did find articles about how to ferment your black soy beans. SIGH. To be honest, I'm not going to do that. I just don't eat that much soy to worry about, in fact, hardly any at all.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I don't eat the soy bean from the can due to the rootin tootin nature of them. But I do eat soy in the form of TVP, soymilk, soynuts, soycheese, edamame nuts and tofu. It is not a lot each day. Sometimes just 1-2 oz as I weigh and measure everything I eat. I have been eating it for over 10 years with no ill side effects.

I am intolerant of most all dairy except butter and greek yogurt. When I eat diary, I double over with stomach pain.

I guess we each have to listen to our own bodies and gut instinct. All the reports on soy are not bad. The Japanese have eaten it for centuries.

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 164.4/163.2/135? <- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 1/2/2014
I have been adding edamame to my taco soup and chili recently. Granted, they are green, but they are lower in carbs and delicious! I also really up my meat ratio, and I like to add a couple different kinds, like ground beef and diced up beef or chicken. It gives it some of the variety that you miss from beans. Add them, just not as many.
millergirl1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Interesting what you say about soy. What about the Asian countries...don't they eat a lot of soy and they appear to be healthier that those in the US? I even heard that there breast cancer rates were lower than ours?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I read recently that the Asians do NOT eat a lot of soy. The average is the equivalent of 2 tsp. per day, and even then, it is fermented.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Asians tend to use soy as a condiment--a little FERMENTED soy sauce, FERMENTED tofu, natto (fermented soy that tastes unpleasantly cheesey to my palate), a few edamame, a few beans topping rice, etc. when we westerners eat soy we " go big" with several ounces of beans, soy protein etc. it's rarely fermented in the US, which decreases the anti nutrients and enhances some of the good (natto is a great source of Vitamin K2 if you can stomach it).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Asians tend to use soy as a condiment--a little FERMENTED soy sauce, FERMENTED tofu, natto (fermented soy that tastes unpleasantly cheesey to my palate), a few edamame, a few beans topping rice, etc. when we westerners eat soy we " go big" with several ounces of beans, soy protein etc. it's rarely fermented in the US, which decreases the anti nutrients and enhances some of the good (natto is a great source of Vitamin K2 if you can stomach it).
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Exactly this.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I made a special trip to Whole Foods for the Eden black soy beans, and I tried to like them. I used them in chili and in homemade low carb baked beans. I thought they tasted AWFUL both times. They are tough and have a very unpleasant texture IMHO. I tried boiling them first to soften them up and that didn't help. I tend to avoid soy products. In fact, come to think of it, most of the foods I've tried that were soy based tasted like garbage...Morningstar soy burgers, soy flour, tofu, etc. After hearing about the possible problems with soy and the "phytoestrogens" I think I am better off without it.

As far as chili goes, I guess I'm not that carb sensitive (lucky me) but I use pinto beans and enjoy. As long as I don't eat the bread or crackers WITH the chili, I can get away with it.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Soybeans are fine in the diet as long as they are processed properly. I did a lot of research on them to figure out how to do that. Originally they were processed as animal feed but are perfectly fit for human consumption, however you do have to properly process them. The black soybeans are not lower in carbs than the regular however, they were apparently mislabeled with respect to their carb content. So count the carbs the same as you would for regular soybeans.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Great feedback!

I have a question about the phytoestrogen effects....does anybody know if women have hot flashes or any other symptoms after eating soy products, or are the effects more subtle?