LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christina6281
Stats: 172/150/130 someday
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 6 2013
Doing this right?

I started Atkins 6 days ago and I am not sure if I am doing this right. I lost 2 lbs but today I was up a pound which is so frustrating. I had gastric bypass over 4 years ago and got down to 115 lbs and then moved to Germany cause my DH is in the military and I blew up to 172. I never thought I would let myself go back to being over weight. But it happened I went on the cabbage soup diet for 2 weeks and lost 11 lbs (water weight) and then started Atkins right away. Now I am 160 and really want to lose this weight and make this a way of life.
I am writing everything down and going to a million different websites to calculate carbs (this drives me insane that every website says something different) I am getting a little obsessed about it all.
Yesterday I ate
Breakfast- 2 eggs with cheese and a piece of bacon
Lunch- Oopsie Bread with turkey, bacon, little mayo and 2 cups of salad with ceasar dressing
Dinner- Deep Dish pizza on this website.
Today I have had so far
Breakfast- 2 eggs, and strips of top round steak that I beat all to hell to make it tender enough to eat.
Lunch- Cup of spaghetti squash with Alfredo sauce, recipe I found in a Low carb book
Dinner- will be a hamburger patty on the oopsie bread and a salad with cesar dressing.
Today I also broke down and had some coffee with some Torani sugar free syrup and HWC.
Am I even coming close to getting this right? I have a feeling I am not, which is making me feel like I should just give up. Why can't losing weight be as easy as gaining. It's just not fair! Please help
christina6281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Patience and persistence is the key, dear.
Six days in is a good start, but take a deep breath and settle in
Your diet looks pretty good to me.
How many carbs in your ceasar dressing?
How about the alfredo sauce?
Coffee is probably ok, but be sure to count carbs in the HWC.

It may be carb labeling follows different rules in Germany than in U.S.
Someone who knows will pop in here to clarify.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I use Newman's Own ceasar dressing which says it has 1g of carbs. The alfredo spaghetti squash was 2 cups squash and 3 Tb each of butter and HWC, and 1/4 cup parm cheese. I split it with my husband who is also eating LC and I figured it to be about 8.8 for a cup. I guess, I am not sure though cause like I said every website says something different and the book I got it out of actually says 8g for a cup of it.
I don't usually have coffee but today I was craving something a little sweet and it was either that or my sons ice cream. I guess I made the right choice but the sugar alcohol in the sugar free syrup makes me nervous.
I am thinking about getting the ketone strips, anyone know whether they are worth it or not?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I use the usda nutritional food comp for my info. It is the most detailed and accurate that I can tell. It sounds like you lost on the cabbage soup woe which would have likely been low carb as well. Now you are losing at a more reasonable rate.

Your menu looks fine.

As Bella pick up on, the labelling in Europe is different in that the carb count already has the fibre removed so be cautious on that.

And yes, coffee is fine.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
Your menu looks great to me. There are lots of online trackers that you could use to calculate your carbs.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

The cabbage soup diet was low carbs on some days. On 2 days I could eat as much fruit as I wanted, another day I could eat up to 8 bananas, and one day I could eat a baked potato. It was a crazy diet but it did get the bloat off of me and made me feel better.
I only buy food from the commissary which is on the military base so all the labeling is the same. I would really drive myself crazy if I bought food on the economy.
I have another question, this bad breath thing does it happen to everyone? Do you get a bad taste in your mouth? I am not experiencing this and this is the reason I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I just want to add that I am so glad that there is a website like this. I am thankful for the responses and I am already motivated to continue what I am doing. I guess I just need to learn to be patient.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
The bad breath/taste thing is a GREAT sign: KETOSIS!!!! (Don't bother with the strips)
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I have noticed that whenever I add in "packaged" foods or extreme recipes, I see a stall or weight gain the next morning. Even if the total carbs was under my threshold.

Also, SF foods/drinks will make you crave and have a hard time mentally staying in the "game". Just a thought.

Iced drinks or cold food of any kind slow down digestion and can make your colon hold onto more than it normally does.
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Sounds like you are doing the diet correctly to me. You could always make your own salad dressing and alfredo sauce so you know exactly what's in there, but I don't know exactly what kinds of foods you have access to.

My 2 small suggestions are this: L-glutamine and Chromium to help with cravings, if you can find them. And 2, don't sit around and crave ice cream when you can make some awesome low carb ice cream. I made a batch just a few minutes ago and it was delicious. I like to find substitutions rather than say, "sorry this food is gone forever stop thinking about it."

PS- the recipe I used was Lauren's chocolate ice cream from Healthy Indulgences. I'm not sure if I can post a link or not, but just google it and you'll find it. It's really tasty.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
As far as I know, haha, I never had the bad breath deal and I stay in ketosis. I found it much easier to lose by staying really REALLY simple to start off with. Plain meat and salad. If you get bored easily with food, it may wouldn't work for you. Either way you're gonna fluctuate up and down. The joys of being a woman.
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Be careful with the tomato paste or sauce...it is usually high in carbs...I would suggest if you are going to do Atkins you might read the book...you can get them at the library, onyour kindle or even thrift shops...I have DANDR Dr Atkins New Diet Revoution on my kindle...Reading keeps my mind off food and gives me confidence that I am doing it right.

I can access all my kindle books anywhere anytime...even on my phone so I can always look up something if I am unsure...

good luck and your diet looks good so far...just watch the tomatoes.

Oh and there are sticky notes/threads at the top of the page that have induction food lists and helpful hints...hope to hear more about your success so post often.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Just don't give up, these people have the best advice you will ever need. You can do this!
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpunkiMama
Stats: 175.5/174.5/135
Start Date: 9/11/2013
Lookin great to me!! Giving up should never be an option or a thought... just keep on going, keep on researching, and keep posting here.. read up on the threads, this website is full of knowledge!!

I thought i was well versed in this low carb stuff, however I learn more and more everyday, and I am not losing at a fast pace, but I am happy with the fact that, I am on target and my body will catch up to my efforts, as will yours!

Great job!!!
SpunkiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, I am gonna simplify my menu for now and then add all the wonderful recipes on this site later.
I have the Atkins New Diet Revoution on my computer and I've been reading it but it is hard to read it from a computer. It starts to hurt my eyes after awhile.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Your diet looks great and congratulations on your weight loss. I happen to love using the ketone strips. I use them twice a day (morning and evening) to make sure I am in Ketosis. I don't weight myself frequently so the strips really help. Good luck!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, I am gonna get some soon. I think actually seeing that I am in Ketosis will make me feel better.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Patience my friend, and don't weigh yourself for a while - maybe once every two weeks if it's really necessary. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't tell the whole story. You can also go by the feel/fit of your clothes, how a ring or watch fits, ketosis strips, etc. to tell if you are losing weight. People bring frustration onto themselves with their own expectations.

This is my second go with LC. The first time I ran into problems with constipation (I know-TMI) and had to go back to the drawing board. That was devastating. I, like you, was expecting quick results (I did reach goal in 4 mos.) and put too much focus on weight loss rather than overall health, well-being and the likelihood of making LC a permanent part of my life/sustainability.

This time, my focus is not at all on weight loss. The weight loss is just a fringe benefit (a great one!). :>) This time, my focus is actually more on the food, sustainability of the dietary changes, and overall health. When I had to stop LC the first time and go back to the drawing board, it was because I needed to figure out what was causing my problem, and come up with a different plan. The different plan is increasing and focusing on veggies in my diet and limiting any type of LC bread. So far it is working. That in and of itself pleases me SO much, because now I believe I can do LC permanently without problems, and that - and overall health - is my focus now. I know the weight is coming off and that's GREAT, but I don't pay attention to it....rather, I just notice effects of it here and there.

This time around, I am focusing on cooking LC meals and foods that my whole family will eat, rather than just trying to come up with quick meals for myself while cooking my non-LC family "regular" meals (and feeling guilty about that!!). Now, it's more like a win/win. They may not like every single thing that I make, but they are "putting up" with the LC meals experiments to find what everyone will eat, and I am focusing on diverting their attention away from the fact that they are LC meals by ensuring the meals are delicious.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Patience is a key. There are so many things that can affect your weight by a pound, or more. I weigh daily before eating in the morning, but ignore those gains unless they stay around for several days. Where you are in your bathroom regimen, how well hydrated you are, etc will make a difference in the reading. Just be concerned about the general trend over about a week.
Bab breath is a badge of honor! It is an accurate indicator that you are in ketosis and are burning stored fat. The strips are helpful to me, but certainly not necessary.
250-213.5-195

Last edited by Chuck41; 09-26-2013 at 05:38 AM..
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

I am trying to figure out how many grams of protein and fat I should be eating. I have been reading a ton of posts from this forum, articles, the book and it is all starting to blur together and make my head spin. I think I am making this out to be harder than it actually is...story of my life
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Don't make it too hard, if you are losing just keep doing what you are doing...percentages play more of a role if you stall or have blood sugar issues, at least that is hoe I interpret it...if you plug your food into a tracker it willfigure out your percentages in a pie graph...I try to keep fat intake above 70 percent...but others will do higher.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina6281 View Post
I am trying to figure out how many grams of protein and fat I should be eating. I have been reading a ton of posts from this forum, articles, the book and it is all starting to blur together and make my head spin. I think I am making this out to be harder than it actually is...story of my life
I don't count anything and it works great for me. Be alert to not "overdo" on your meals and don't eat "by the clock". If you are not hungry, you don't have to eat just because its noon. It really does not have to be complicated. Enjoy the freedom of eating enough of the allowed foods to not be uncomfortably hungry while still losing the weight.
I found Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat - and what to do about it" to be extremely helpful. You may find it through a library, or you can get a copy cheaply through the internet mailed to your APO address. I have read Atkins, and others, but WWGF was the most helpful in learning the "why" about the LC woe to me. Good luck.

Last edited by Chuck41; 09-26-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
You are doing well. Just keep it up. Are you drinking enough water??? I find when I don`t drink enough water I will not lose. I normally drink at least a gallon of plain water a day. That is from the time I get up until I go to bed. Some people suggest drinking half your weight in ounces. You say you are 160 that would be 80 ounces a day.I also like to use the strips. It makes me feel good. LOL. HTH. Good Luck !!!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

I have been reading the book and in the list of foods during the induction phase it does not include green beans. But then later when it gives a sample menu for induction it includes green beans as one of the vegetables. So is it okay?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina6281 View Post
I have been reading the book and in the list of foods during the induction phase it does not include green beans. But then later when it gives a sample menu for induction it includes green beans as one of the vegetables. So is it okay?
Yep, in moderation. It is one of my "staples".
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Look up the nutritional data on everything. There are no "free" foods. Broccoli has a carb count. Onions have a carb count. Tomatoes have a carb count. Cream has a carb count. Look up everything. Know your count for the day at all times. Fat is your friend - especially during induction. Don't eat things in packages. If you can't account for every ingredient, don't eat it.

Do your own cooking.

Know the rules of your plan. For induction, stick with the strictest interpretation of those rules and stay that way for at least three weeks.

Unlike energy balance diets (aka Calories in, Calories out) in which it is possible to make up for indulgence with an equal level of restriction the following day, Low carb diets require sustained absolute compliance to function correctly. A week of induction level compliance, and a candy bar or a bowl of brown rice or an apple on the eighth day is a recipe for accomplishing absolutely nothing, and taking 8 days to do it. The more you think about "when will it be ok to cheat," or "how long until I get to my goal," the more you're missing the point. This is going to take you the rest of your life. Not 6 days. Not 6 months. Not 6 years. Revert to your old habits when you hit goal (as so many have), and you will find yourself right back where you started with an alarming rapidity.

I genuinely hope that this all doesn't come across as harsh. I know that it isn't easy to face the prospect of a life untouched by certain foods. I didn't get to 350 by being one of these celery stick, soy protein, alfalfa sprouts eating cats. I LOVED pizza, and pasta, and rice and potatoes and fruits and chocolate, and ice cream and caramel, and all manner of carbohydrate. Not liked. LOVED. And the greatest thing that ever happened to me was learning to let go of that love.

Success came when I finally decided that my desire to be healthy was more important than my self-destructive love for food. Not enough to try really hard for a week. Not enough to try really hard for a month. It was important enough to me to drastically change the fundamental composition of my diet for the rest of my life.

I'm down almost 90 pounds. I've got another 100 to go. I've been at this for a little over a year now. Any given week - any given month - might bring better numbers, or worse numbers, or no change at all. However, if you follow your plan *BY THE BOOK*, you will succeed over the long term. Success requires enormous patience, and determination.

It's not the scale that you're fighting. It's a behavioral pattern that you've spent years building. You will spend a great deal of time learning new habits to fix that behavior. Fix the habits first, and the scale will follow.

There is no shortage of people who disagree with my mindset, or my approach. Their viewpoints are valid as well. Maybe this isn't the mindset that will work for you. It's up to you to keep trying things until you find what plan you can abide, and succeed with.

However, for me, the only path to success is through strict dietary compliance, and a constant unflinching self-evaluation, and self honesty. I treat carbohydrates like an addiction, because for me that is precisely what it is. Not as some allegorical hyperbole - My addiction to food is a full-on, pedal to the metal addiction - no less real and no less harmful than a heroin addiction.

I advise you to hang in there - don't give up and you'll reach and maintain your goal. The good news is unless you are 3 feet tall, you've caught this early. You really don't have that far to go. After the water phase, you're not going to lose 12 pounds a week consistently or safely on any plan. Give it a couple of weeks. Let your metabolism make the change that it needs to make. If you can average 1 pound of weight loss per week, that's 52 pounds a year.

Be patient. Focus on the habits you need to work on, and the weight will fix itself.

As for your menu, that's between you and your plan (but the deep dish pizza concerns me).

You can do it!

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!

Last edited by Z; 09-28-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
Look up the nutritional data on everything. There are no "free" foods. Broccoli has a carb count. Onions have a carb count. Tomatoes have a carb count. Cream has a carb count. Look up everything. Know your count for the day at all times. Fat is your friend - especially during induction. Don't eat things in packages. If you can't account for every ingredient, don't eat it.

Do your own cooking.

Know the rules of your plan. For induction, stick with the strictest interpretation of those rules and stay that way for at least three weeks.

Unlike energy balance diets (aka Calories in, Calories out) in which it is possible to make up for indulgence with an equal level of restriction the following day, Low carb diets require sustained absolute compliance to function correctly. A week of induction level compliance, and a candy bar or a bowl of brown rice or an apple on the eighth day is a recipe for accomplishing absolutely nothing, and taking 8 days to do it. The more you think about "when will it be ok to cheat," or "how long until I get to my goal," the more you're missing the point. This is going to take you the rest of your life. Not 6 days. Not 6 months. Not 6 years. Revert to your old habits when you hit goal (as so many have), and you will find yourself right back where you started with an alarming rapidity.

I genuinely hope that this all doesn't come across as harsh. I know that it isn't easy to face the prospect of a life untouched by certain foods. I didn't get to 350 by being one of these celery stick, soy protein, alfalfa sprouts eating cats. I LOVED pizza, and pasta, and rice and potatoes and fruits and chocolate, and ice cream and caramel, and all manner of carbohydrate. Not liked. LOVED. And the greatest thing that ever happened to me was learning to let go of that love.

Success came when I finally decided that my desire to be healthy was more important than my self-destructive love for food. Not enough to try really hard for a week. Not enough to try really hard for a month. It was important enough to me to drastically change the fundamental composition of my diet for the rest of my life.

I'm down almost 90 pounds. I've got another 100 to go. I've been at this for a little over a year now. Any given week - any given month - might bring better numbers, or worse numbers, or no change at all. However, if you follow your plan *BY THE BOOK*, you will succeed over the long term. Success requires enormous patience, and determination.

It's not the scale that you're fighting. It's a behavioral pattern that you've spent years building. You will spend a great deal of time learning new habits to fix that behavior. Fix the habits first, and the scale will follow.

There is no shortage of people who disagree with my mindset, or my approach. Their viewpoints are valid as well. Maybe this isn't the mindset that will work for you. It's up to you to keep trying things until you find what plan you can abide, and succeed with.

However, for me, the only path to success is through strict dietary compliance, and a constant unflinching self-evaluation, and self honesty. I treat carbohydrates like an addiction, because for me that is precisely what it is. Not as some allegorical hyperbole - My addiction to food is a full-on, pedal to the metal addiction - no less real and no less harmful than a heroin addiction.

I advise you to hang in there - don't give up and you'll reach and maintain your goal. The good news is unless you are 3 feet tall, you've caught this early. You really don't have that far to go. After the water phase, you're not going to lose 12 pounds a week consistently or safely on any plan. Give it a couple of weeks. Let your metabolism make the change that it needs to make. If you can average 1 pound of weight loss per week, that's 52 pounds a year.

Be patient. Focus on the habits you need to work on, and the weight will fix itself.

As for your menu, that's between you and your plan (but the deep dish pizza concerns me).

You can do it!
In her defense, she said it was a recipe from this site, so I don't think that's a problem.

I see your point Z, but the thought of never having a cookie or a cheat ever again would make me jump off a bridge. It's too much for ME to take, let alone a newbie. "Not today" sounds a LOT better than "NEVER again." I think everybody is different and there's a million ways to tweak the diet to suit one's own needs and still achieve the desired results. A carb now and then can be a good thing, according to some, like the C.A.D and weight lifters doing carb cycling, and so forth. I advise the OP to listen to her body and tweak the diet to suit her own goals and needs.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #28
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
In her defense, she said it was a recipe from this site, so I don't think that's a problem.

I see your point Z, but the thought of never having a cookie or a cheat ever again would make me jump off a bridge. It's too much for ME to take, let alone a newbie. "Not today" sounds a LOT better than "NEVER again." I think everybody is different and there's a million ways to tweak the diet to suit one's own needs and still achieve the desired results. A carb now and then can be a good thing, according to some, like the C.A.D and weight lifters doing carb cycling, and so forth. I advise the OP to listen to her body and tweak the diet to suit her own goals and needs.
I absolutely agree. There is more than one road to the end goal, and I am but one voice among many. It is not my intention to claim that mine is the 'one true way'. This is simply the advice, and the frame of mind, that I needed to heed and adopt before I was able to generate results. My weakness was too strong to approach with anything less than a strong procedure. Just as you wouldn't advise an alcoholic that it's ok to drink on Thursday, as a carbohydrate addict I cannot recommend pizza on Friday.

Whether or not any of this is relevant to the original poster is not for me to determine. All I can do is share my experience. The one thing that I do think is universal and immutable, is that it takes longer than 7 days for any plan to kick in completely.

Like you, I would advise Christina to consider her many options, try different things, observe the results, and determine for herself what she needs to do to effect the change that she wants to see.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/195/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post

Do your own cooking.

You can do it!
Very we'll written post, thank you for the time it took. I agree with everything above!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for all the responses. I cut out cheese and went down to the basics, meat, eggs and veggies. Nothing too fancy and have dropped 4 lbs. I should have cut cheese along time ago because I became lactose intolerant after I had my surgery but it is just so good.

Now that I have my food in check I need to figure out how to overcome my food obsession. I have had this problem all my life and it is truly exhausting. It has taken over my life. I am always thinking about food, eating food or looking at food.