LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EssBee
Stats: 135/135/115
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Original: 9/00, Restart 3/15/14
Sugar Alcohols

I'm curious what everyone's take is about these. When I first started Atkins (back in 2000), I just counted carbs. Period. I did fantastic, hit my goal and then some. Then the Low Carb Craze hit!! A gazillion things showed up in the grocery store, PLUS you only had to look at "net carbs"! It was great, I got to have lots of yummy processed foods again, YAY!! Well of course, I slowly fell off the wagon (again and again and well, you get the picture). Ok, this time I am watching calories and counting carbs, not net carbs, just carbs. And I must say, I am doing fantastic!! Well today, I had breakfast sausage and I always dip it in sugar free maple syrup. Surprise, surprise when I entered all my food into my online food calculator! Horrors, I had used up half my daily carb allowance!
Ok, I've blabbered on long enough. Do you count sugar alcohols in your carb count or not? I've decided to, but will have an occasional treat with them.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Some do, others don't. My personal opinion is that you should check to see how they affect you personally with a blood glucose meter. I tested several times at the 30 and 60 minute marks and I didn't see a huge spike in BG so I don't count them in my carb count.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
Good Read. I would stay away from them.

Google The Bitter Truth About Sugar Alcohols - Around the Plate
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
When I did low carb 13 years ago, there were no apps or programs. I tracked everything with a paper and pencil, using a carb counting book. I didn't even bother counting the carbs in mostly protein foods (eggs, fish, meat, and cheese), fats and non-starchy veggies. I only counted those in starchy veggies, grains (yes, I ate some back then), fruit. And I lost weight like a house afire.

Now all these apps count the half gram of carbs in coffee, for goodness sake. So it makes it look like you are getting a lot more carbs than you really need to worry about. I always give myself a 5 gram "wiggle space" for these things.

As for sugar alcohols, some people tolerate them well, some people don't. I can't tolerate most of them, but erithrytol and xylitol are fine for me. I use them sparingly and OCCASIONALLY (not daily) when I really want something sweet. This is after about 6 months of NO sweeteners at all, so I'm exceedingly sensitive to sweet tastes now and don't need much.

They don't seem to stall my progress, and I don't bother even counting any of the carbs because I use so little.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Personally, I do fine with sugar alcohols. They don't seem to stall me, and they make this WOE livable for me. Yes, maybe I might be losing weight a bit faster without them, who knows, but the trade off is worth it for me. I am down 7 pounds so far in Sept, and working my way through a chocolate cheesecake while doing it.
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
EssBee, I also started with the original Atkins and only counted Carbs no deducting. Lost like crazy. I still do that. Never liked sugar alcohols, I learned to thicken things with guar or xzantan gum. I have all my recipes that I liked from the old website and use them all the time so no fake food. By the way, I thicken DaVinci syrup with Guar and add a drop of maple flavor and its great on my Doobie muffins.
pickles1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBell View Post
The article uses malitol as an example. That is a bad sugar alcohol. Erythritol, on the other hand, has essentially zero impact on blood sugar. I don't use it often but when I do I have no issues with it.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
When I did low carb 13 years ago, there were no apps or programs. I tracked everything with a paper and pencil, using a carb counting book. I didn't even bother counting the carbs in mostly protein foods (eggs, fish, meat, and cheese), fats and non-starchy veggies. I only counted those in starchy veggies, grains (yes, I ate some back then), fruit. And I lost weight like a house afire.

Now all these apps count the half gram of carbs in coffee, for goodness sake. So it makes it look like you are getting a lot more carbs than you really need to worry about. I always give myself a 5 gram "wiggle space" for these things.
I'm with you, Janknitz. I don't ever count the carbs in protein, cheeses or cream, let alone coffee. These are smidgen amts and yeah, I just add 3-5 carbs a day to my count for every little carb I didn't count---and probably still come up w/a number bigger than what I actually ate, most of the time.

Do count the carbs in onions and tomatoes and berries, but they too are pretty darn small for what I eat at any given time. I just do not sweat this stuff. I have lost 32 pounds in 8 months, or about a pound a week. And it's been so painless for the better part, I can hardly believe it. And I don't eat many sugar alcohols, but when I do, they don't stall me.

I do realize that many are more sensitive and have to chart and count everything. I thank my lucky stars I do not. Maybe I'd have lost faster if I was doing so, but a pound a week, and a happy amt of foods I enjoy works great for me. I had the time to put it on, and I have the time to take it off.

For me, I don't do ANYTHING I won't be able to sustain. Been there, done that. What good does it do if you lose the weight under circumstances you cannot maintain? Haven't most of us done that?
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EssBee
Stats: 135/135/115
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Original: 9/00, Restart 3/15/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBell View Post

Google The Bitter Truth About Sugar Alcohols - Around the Plate
Thanks, just read that. Very informative. I have a pretty decent sweet tooth, so will use these foods sparingly as a treat!
EssBee is offline   Reply With Quote