Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emptyshell
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 9/1/2013
New at this...What's going on???

Hi...been doing low carb since 9/1. My daughter has lost 80 lbs and still going. I had gotten off to a great start...lost 13 pounds in 11 days and then....screech!!!!! I have been going up 2 lbs, down 2 lbs since 9/12. I have not cheated even once! I have increased from no exercise to (almost no) exercise. (Baby steps here...my knees hurt!) Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get this thing rolling again?
emptyshell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
This happens. Give...your... body... time...to...catch up. No one that I know of will lose weight constantly. It needs a break in there to recoup then it'll start again. There are always blips in the road. This happens to everyone.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Yep, agree with Terry above. Weightloss has been described on here like waves, ups and downs, but an overall downward trend. Just stay on plan, make sure your numbers are what they should be, keep an accurate food diary and tweak if needed. You will start to loose again soon
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Do NOT give up!! Everytime I start low carb I lose about 8 lbs in the first 2 weeks then like you said....screeeech! I get unmotivated fast so about a month is my usual breaking point for low carb. BUT then what do I do....? I go back to eating garbage and gain it all back. This time I have decided to be veeeeeeery patient. I have set myself an evaluation date of June 1, 2014 if I've lost less than 20 lbs and do not feel wonderful I will reevaluate, but there will be no cheating this time around and there will be patience.

You lost 13 lbs!! That is Wonderful!!! Just try to give your body a chance to play catch up, don't go tweaking or quitting. You (and I) can do this!!

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I have gained and lost the same 3 pounds since 9/9. Hopefully the went bye bye as of 9/20. Be patient. It's not easy but you can do it.
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
emptyshell, as everybody agrees, this is quite common. Something that has helped me with patience during "mini-stalls" is to pay attention to the trends on the scale. If you are into charts, you can chart your weight every morning. It will be frustrating the first few days, but you will begin to see trends. Mine, for instance, shows a new low, followed by a bounce up, then down, then up, then down, and once again up and down, which is when I usually hit a new low. It may only be half a pound, but it happens. Then the process starts all over again. The point is that you can count on bouncing up, but if you work your plan, what goes up, WILL come down! Over time, you will see that the line slopes downward and the little bounces won't bother you anymore!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Does anyone decrease calories or up fat once you have lost a TON of weight?? OR do you keep things the same???
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Does anyone decrease calories or up fat once you have lost a TON of weight?? OR do you keep things the same???
Ouch. That's a serious downgrade IMHO...New Zealand to Minnesota. UGH!

On topic, I lost 116 pounds and I kept everything pretty consistent, except that as I got smaller, I had to be more careful with low carb products like bread, wraps, and I watched my condiments more carefully. I stopped using granular splenda and was a little more strict in general. But I left my fat intake the same. I stopped counting calories when I went low carb, but I'd say they stayed about the same throughout.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Weight loss is a factor of 4 things: Water loss, glycogen depletion (carb storage), loss of lean muscle and loss of body fat. When first starting a low carb diet the weight loss you mostly experience is water loss and glycogen depletion. It accounts for most of the drop in scale weight. The rate of fat loss is slower and sometimes it almost doesn't get picked up by the bathroom scale because water losses and gains overshadow anything that happens with respect to changes in body fat levels. Bathroom scales aren't the greatest way to assess results unless you are patient and are also gauging your progress by how you look in the mirror and how you fit into clothes. And also in some cases, people might start commenting on "how good you are looking these days." That can also be helpful because it means you have lost bodyfat most likely.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Weight loss is a factor of 4 things: Water loss, glycogen depletion (carb storage), loss of lean muscle and loss of body fat. When first starting a low carb diet the weight loss you mostly experience is water loss and glycogen depletion. It accounts for most of the drop in scale weight. The rate of fat loss is slower and sometimes it almost doesn't get picked up by the bathroom scale because water losses and gains overshadow anything that happens with respect to changes in body fat levels. Bathroom scales aren't the greatest way to assess results unless you are patient and are also gauging your progress by how you look in the mirror and how you fit into clothes. And also in some cases, people might start commenting on "how good you are looking these days." That can also be helpful because it means you have lost bodyfat most likely.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
WOE: Atkins
Read this: Why the scales can lie.
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote