Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
How long does it take for carbs to get out of system and cravings to go away.

I have the hardest time sticking to low carb although it makes me feel great and less tired...one would think I could stay with it I had been doing great for 2 weeks and then had a binge on Friday night...it lasted until Sunday I am sorry to say. Today I feel lethargic and tired ..I am back to LC...how long will it take to get back to having no cravings....so disgusted with myself! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Doesn't it take 3 days to get back into ketosis???

Don't worry I'm dealing with the same thing. Back to Atkins after a long break.

Give it a few days and LOTS of water!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Hi Sarah, I also fell off the wagon from Thursday-Sunday. My little boy was ill and everything just fell apart I guess.

Mentally preparing myself for Induction 'flu', cravings and crankiness all over again; it usually takes me 3-4 days to feel normal again. Atkins is my new normal
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Eating a dill pickle can ease cravings when you're not really hungry.
Somebody bumped an old science-filled post about it recently, but the gist of it is to eat acidic foods to stop the signal to eat.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all! I will put dill pickles on my grocery list!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
If you're only doing no flour, no sugar, dare I say you're still feeding the craving monster?

I went VLC for a month to ensure the cravings were gone. We're talking nothing but meat and eggs and a little cheese. You may need to eliminate all craving causing foods and add them back in slowly.

Its not simply about getting into ketosis. I was able to get into ketosis quickly but the cravings lingered a lot longer.

I am a recovering binger and this was the only way I was able to end the cravings and stop the binging.

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Be sure to eat plenty of fat. Any time I've eaten low-carb and skimped on the fat...boom...cravings to an unbearable level. If I eat enough fat, I feel so much better. Feel better eating fat than pretty much any other nutrient at all. fwiw
Skinny Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Train View Post
Be sure to eat plenty of fat. Any time I've eaten low-carb and skimped on the fat...boom...cravings to an unbearable level. If I eat enough fat, I feel so much better. Feel better eating fat than pretty much any other nutrient at all. fwiw

Agreed!!!! Low fat high protein and the carb monster was awful!!!!! I binged every night, gained 5 pounds and wondered why????

Up your fat and cravings disappear!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I think DANDR says 3 days, but don't quote me on that.

I think L-glutamine and chromium help calm my cravings, especially in the beginning or after a cheat day(s). Could be the placebo effect, but I'll take all the help I can get.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Eating a lot of fat and being in ketosis does help for reducing the potential for bingeing. However it isn't the answer alone, it is only the first step. Bingeing is the brain telling you to eat when you don't need to. As long as you are getting a reasonable amount of calories/nutrition, you shouldn't be bingeing. If losing, bingers should stay within 250cal of their daily requirement, to avoid their brain thinking they are in starvation mode. Also the brain should be seeing most fat entering the body or at least circulating which is where the ketosis comes into play. Eating small meals at regular intervals can help some people. Also making sure that they get enough calories at key times. For example some people need to eat more calories in the morning. False hunger can be caused by a lot of things, such as digestive problems, the brain needing stimulation etc. Bingers have to look a little more deeply into why this is happening. Carbs can be an addiction to some people just as gambling is to others, it is the brain needing stimulation.

My bingeing is almost non existent now where as one time I would hoard food and easily clean out the refrigerator on a regular basis. Now I have to deal with things like buying way too much food when I go to the grocery store. At one time I would eat it all, now I feel guilty for throwing it out when I just can't eat it before it goes bad.

I recommend starting by making sure you are eating a lot of fat and staying into ketosis and then look at spreading out your calories so that you are getting a constant source of incoming nutrition and stick to that. Then keep a journal to see what is setting off your bingeing episodes, it could be either psychological or physiological. Eventually you will see patterns and be able to come up with strategies.

Hope that helps.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all! Such good advice here. I am doing Atkins for at least 2 weeks to minimize the cravings. I had to give up artificial sweeteners as well because they will cause cravings. I just want the cravings to go away. I will try the L-glutamine and chromium as well. I just want to make it month. I was doing so good for 2 weeks and then fell off the wagon. I really want to recover from this binging and I think this is the way to go. To increase fat do you think it is OK to have cheese?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
It is ok to have cheese. The best type of cheese to have is a cheese with a high number of MCTs and also is raw, because raw is easier to digest. MCTs feed the brain when in ketosis and raw cheese will help alleviate symptoms of false hunger. I eat a lot of cheese and it keeps me very full.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote